Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Ladies Forum (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   San Jose "Second Saturday outreach" event continues.... : ) (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=379875)

Asphodel 01-03-2011 4:44 PM

San Jose "Second Saturday outreach" event continues.... : )

Hello, Calguns folk,

We'll be continuing the second Saturday 'range outreach' or 'newbie shoot' event, this coming Saturday, the 14th, at the old San Jose range, 1580 South Tenth St (just south of Alma Ave.), beginning at 1400, and continuing til 2100 or so.

All are invited, the event is 'free' to all., if you'd like to help make the event really enjoyable for everyone, please bring some soft drinks, pastries, pizza, or, well, any sort of nice munchies for the participants, bring newbies and young people, etc. (edited........the event really is 'free' for the young folks and newbies to shooting of any age, but, to be 'free', it must be 'donation-supported'.)

The Rifle Club donates the range use time, but we, the volunteers who organise and staff the event, 'front' the actual approx cost of $100-ish for food and ammunition for each event day, and hope to recover on a 'break-even' basis, from donations from those who would care to support the event. Donations, which will keep us going on a 'non-profit/break-even' basis really are essential to the continued operation of the event. We who put on the event aren't wealthy, we work on a purely volunteer basis, and really do need to 'break even' for actual event costs.

This event is particularly meant to provide a friendly and welcoming range ambiance for women, particularly those who might be newbies to shooting. We'll have experienced shooters on hand to provide safety and basic proficiency instruction, 22 rifles, and various handguns for some 'familiarisation fire'.

Also......we've still got enough donated 22 rounds for the next couple of these events, thanks to the folks who were willing to consider this event a 'good cause'. (edit.....we're still alright on 22 rounds for this and the next event, but I'll be asking for donations of 22 rounds again as we run low)

cheers

Carla

916Bobby 01-05-2011 7:31 AM

awesome, thanks for continuing this! I'll see if the gf is interested in attending this.

Bobby

RogueSniper 02-10-2011 9:58 PM

Unless I have a last minute patient, my Clinic shift is done at 5:30pm. I'll bring my sister and Mom to the range around 7pm.

akoba 05-10-2011 4:47 PM

May 14 will be the next one. Are you ladies still doing the meet-up? Let me know i will tell my wife maybe she is interested. Instead of just going to the beauty shop for her hair :mad: . She travel from sacramento to san jose for that hair. :rolleyes:

dfens 05-13-2011 10:26 AM

I'm trying to get my Mom to go to this she really needs practice, what time does this start and end. Also is it ok if I were to tag along I don't really need to shoot but she probably be more comfortable if I was their.

Asphodel 05-13-2011 11:25 AM

dfens,

The event is for everyone, you are quite welcome. As noted above, the event begins at 1400 local. (2PM Pacific time)

The event is free, in that the range time is donated by the Rifle Club, and the event is staffed by volunteers, so there is no 'fee' for participation........ if you'd care to, please consider bringing some pizza, pastries, or other nice 'munchies' to share......this is a social event for 'gun freaks' as well as a 'basic safety and proficiency orientation' event for new shooters.

During the warm summer months, we'll be doing barbecue, but the weather forecast for tomorrow is for rather cool-ish temp, and some possibility of light precip, so we'll not be doing barbecue this month.

cheers

Carla

916Bobby 05-13-2011 6:32 PM

me+gf will try to drop by (probably late) will bring shotguns and xd40.

diginit 06-21-2011 6:16 PM

Hi Carla,
Missed you. Glad your program is still going! Been busy lately. Maybe I can make the next one. The newbies liked the 22 mags and 1911 last time. I wonder how the they will take to the 45 Colt's 255g LFN's. Let's see how well they work up to her...
It's time for BBQ and some target practice. Explaining that guns don't kill people, People do. And having some good clean fun with good folk that deserve a truthful education about firearms. Not the media hype... Take Care, James.

Stormtrooperthunder 07-04-2011 6:45 PM

Will there be an event on the 9th? I have some female friends that are interested. I will try to go and bring my 1911 and CZ, loaded with lead of course, granted I can pick up my brass. Also my 22lr rifle and some ammo.

Asphodel 07-04-2011 9:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormtrooperthunder (Post 6711611)
Will there be an event on the 9th? I have some female friends that are interested. I will try to go and bring my 1911 and CZ, loaded with lead of course, granted I can pick up my brass. Also my 22lr rifle and some ammo.

Yes, we'll be doing the event on this coming Saturday, the 9th, beginning at 1400, and continuing til 2100-ish, or so.

This month, it will be warm enough in the evening that we can be doing barbecue, so please consider bringing some hamburger stuff, hot dogs, or even a little bit of tri-tip for the barbie...........or salad, pastries, soft drinks, etc., etc, to share.

As usual, I'll be providing the barbecue and its charcoal, and the coffee.

And, as usual, I'll be providing 22 rifles and rounds for the newbies.

cheers

Carla

916Bobby 08-08-2011 6:46 PM

anything this month?

kAnJii 08-14-2011 9:13 AM

This is wonderful to hear. Looking forward to your next outing. I want to introduce my wife to this sport and hope she will be comfortable with guns greater than just an airsoft or bb gun.

masameet 08-14-2011 2:31 PM

Yesterday I finally made good on a promise to Asphodel: That I'd show up at Second Saturday, her gun club's free day at the local range. And did I have a blast!

Santa Clara Valley Rifle Club runs the municipal indoor shooting range on 10th Street, just south of Alma Street, in San Jose, CA. Since 2009, on every second Saturday of the month SCVRC members have let firearms enthusiasts, long-time as well as newbie, shoot members' guns, ammo and targets for free. During the warm months, the club also feeds all comers by hosting a barbecue. In exchange for shooting, participants are asked (but not expected to) bring snacks like cookies (but please, no salty chips!).

My goal at Second Saturday was to shoot a shotgun. Since becoming a firearms enthusiast three years ago, I had yet to shoot one. All the five shooting bays though were taken when I arrived. So in the interim I chatted with Asphodel and a few other club members who also happened to be range masters.

Then a couple of bays opened up and I was given an Ithaca shotgun. Emiliano, one of the range masters, explained about choke and bird shot versus buck shot. If you look closely at the target, you will see the top black line of the zombie face that the guys kindly marked for me.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...rget1_8001.jpg

masameet 08-14-2011 2:35 PM

Emiliano also demonstrated the proper techniques in holding, loading and firing a shotgun. (BTW this Ithaca shotgun initially started out as a Berkeley Police Dept. firearm and was acquired after being sold as surplus.)

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...liano_8005.jpg

"F&cking A!" I shouted in fear and dismay as the first round rocketed out next to my ear. Then as I massaged my left shoulder, the range masters stopped laughing and said they'd find a less powerful shotgun pellet for me to try. (But some others (i.e., males) had to try the heavier load first and they didn't wince at all in firing it. One guy put a round into the zombie face's mouth. With the lighter ammo, I managed to take off the top of the zombie's head plus put another round in his mouth and one in his eye.)

Really liked watching the white smoke rise from the cartridge carrier. The first picture I took though was blurry as heck. Still this second one shows some of the remaining gases.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...Gases_8011.jpg

masameet 08-14-2011 2:37 PM

The Winchester 30-30 rifle is a thing of beauty, don't you agree?

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...-30-1_8018.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...-30-2_8019.jpg

Meant to take a photo from the top of John M. Browning's ingenious lever-action mechanism but alas in my excitement to shoot the rifle, I put down the camera.

masameet 08-14-2011 2:41 PM

This is a Winchester .22LR. The round knurled piece of steel with the pinhole is the rear sight/view finder for the metal ring-within-a ring front sight. I was told this kind of an iron sight is also known as an aperture sight and I really enjoyed using it.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a..._22LR_8033.jpg

Before letting me shoot the rifle though, Asphodel formed a small circle with the thumb and index finger of her hand and, holding it up to me, said to try for a cluster that small. She mentioned breathing control and maybe something else, I can't remember now. Have to admit that at the time I was not exactly sure what she meant about a teeny tiny cluster group, since for all intents and purposes I'm practically blind when it comes to anything beyond 25 feet.

The range employs the old-fashioned wheel and pulley system in moving its targets. And of course Asphodel put the target right in front of the back stop, some 50 feet away from my bench.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...ulley_8014.jpg

Still I put all 19 rounds on the target (and yes, I mistakenly ejected one live round in trying out the bolt action). What with the morning's motorcycle ride and the other firearms shooting, I found myself unhappily tiring and in response shifting my body stance and handhold position several times.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...rget2_8039.jpg

In examining my paper target, Asphodel said my clusters showed frequent shiftings. But, she added, not bad at all. Most likely, she said with a smile, you just need a little more practice.

masameet 08-14-2011 2:42 PM

As a left-handed shooter, I was sure glad that the three long guns seemed to fit my short height and arm length.

As to pistols, I shot only one -- a tan and black Springfield XD .40. It belongs to a fellow motorcyclist enthusiast I hadn't seen in more than two years. Considering the last time I shot a pistol was 16 months ago, and except for the two shots that went wide because I flinched in getting acquainted with the trigger, with 8 rounds (and yes, I managed to eject the first live round by pulling the slide back a second time) I think I did pretty good from 15 feet.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...rget3_8044.jpg

masameet 08-14-2011 2:44 PM

Here is a shot of Amy and Bobby. They're very photogenic and also very friendly. After tube feeding a 1930-era Winchester .22LR, Amy practiced her sight capture under Bobby's supervision before firing it.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...Bobby_8043.jpg

At one point, she and Bobby taped a spent .40 casing to a target. With one shot Amy nailed it.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...asing_8038.jpg

Some more shots of the indoor range …

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...Range_8030.jpg

That's Rick (I believe that's his name) in both shots, giving friendly advice to a potential member …

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a.../Rick_8037.jpg

… and coming back to the bench during cease fire to hand Amy her twice-shot spent casing.

masameet 08-14-2011 2:45 PM

Considering the price of admission, if you're relatively local or are visiting from out of town, make a point to be at Second Saturday. You'll meet some of the friendliest folks who also share your love of firearms and shooting and maybe you'll even meet with folks you haven't seen in a while.

So Huzzah! to Santa Clara Valley Rifle Club and its Second Saturday -- where a whole lotta shooting fun can be had!

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...range_8031.jpg

Asphodel 08-15-2011 11:15 AM

Hi, Masameet,

Thank you for the nice photos of the event...... I was quite impressed with that sophisticated camera you were using, and your obvious high order of skill as a photographer........I didn't think to ask......are you a professional photographer?

I should, I suppose, clarify a couple of details, for everyone else who may follow this 'thread'......the shotgun rounds in question were common old style 'light trap loads', not 'high base' or 'magnum'. The do make a bit more noise and do a bit more recoil than do the current modern 'low recoil' shotgun rounds, to be sure.

Under most circumstances, centre-fire rifles such as the 30-30 may never be used at the indoor range, as standard 'hunting rounds' are too powerful, and may either damage the range backstop or do 'bounce-backs', which we cannot risk.

For special events, we will, sometimes, allow centre-fire rifles to be fired, but only with specially loaded 'gallery rounds', which use a lead pistol bullet, and a very light powder charge, so that the bullet runs at pistol caliber velocity, and cannot harm the backstop or bounce back.

There are only a very few Rifle Club members who qualify, by reason of long experience, for the loading of such 'gallery rounds'. (the ones used at this event were loaded up by Dov Nitzan, a highly experienced handloader)

As an alternative, some centre-fire rifles may be fired at the indoor range by the use of 'pistol cartridge adapters', a device which allows the use of a light pistol cartridge such as 32ACP in a 30WCF, 30-06, or similar rifle.

These may be fired at the indoor range only at 'special events', not the regularly scheduled 'public access hours', and then only by permission of a Rifle Club rangemaster.

This means that if, for example, anyone brings a centre-fire rifle to the indoor range, with rounds claimed to have been made up as 'gallery loads', they won't be allowed to fire them, unless the person who made up the loads is personally known the the Rifle Club Board as a knowledgeable, experienced specialty handloader.

This may seem a bit 'unfair', but, from our point of view, we just dare not take even the slightest chance with any range safety issues.

cheers

Carla

movie zombie 08-15-2011 3:57 PM

great post, Masamet!

916Bobby 08-16-2011 8:57 PM

thanks for the pics and nice meeting all of you. I'll be sure to bring some newbies in Oct!

ke11str 11-11-2011 2:36 PM

Sounds like a fun event to attend

six10 11-11-2011 8:26 PM

I am so looking forward to attending one of these events, Asphodel, just as soon as time/circumstances permit. :)

RogueSniper 07-12-2012 1:20 PM

I plan to be coming this weekend. I'll bring an active target or two! :D I'll bring a pie for our Traditional Pie Shoot.

RogueSniper 08-10-2012 3:38 PM

I got some stuff I would like to shoot this weekend. Updates?

Asphodel 08-10-2012 9:31 PM

Hi, Rogue,

Yes, we'll be doing the second Saturday event, as usual.

I got the Rifle Club to adopt the event as an 'official' Club event, so its no longer 'my' event (sigh of relief......I could have been in the proverbial 'world of hurt' if anything had ever gone wrong at the event)

Mike Schrader is being the 'primary organiser' now, and we'll be doing a bit more 'structured' event, as we've had much greater numbers of newbies attending. Hopefully, there will still be some time for some 'amusement plinking' later in the evening........... : )

cheers

Carla

Poms&Guns 02-09-2013 4:06 PM

Darn...been so busy that I just now saw this. Too much left to do today to drive over the hill. Guess I will have to wait till next month's shoot.

pennys dad 03-07-2013 8:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asphodel (Post 8556427)
Update.......... : )

Hi. When you have some time, please send me an email: Jacob.Rascon@Gmail.com

Thx!

916Bobby 04-10-2013 9:20 PM

will try to make it this weekend!

Asphodel 05-10-2013 6:37 PM

Update........... : )

nicki 05-13-2013 11:43 AM

Follow up on Saturday shoot.

FYI, the outreach shoot is open to everyone and this last Saturday the crowd mix was close to 50 percent women.

The Atmosphere was very friendly and social which has been my experience for the last 6 or so events that I have attended.

I have been helping orientate new shooters in this effort.

Nicki

dwtt 05-18-2013 8:07 AM

Can I bring my wife and daughter to this event in July? I'll be back in CA during July and would like to have my wife try shooting a .22 lr before shooting the 5906 I gave her. My daughter had seen me shoot and attended a Shoot-n-Q at Chabot when she was younger, but now is about ready to try shooting herself. I can also bring my S&W model 22a and some ammo.

Asphodel 05-27-2013 4:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwtt (Post 11373893)
Can I bring my wife and daughter to this event in July? I'll be back in CA during July and would like to have my wife try shooting a .22 lr before shooting the 5906 I gave her. My daughter had seen me shoot and attended a Shoot-n-Q at Chabot when she was younger, but now is about ready to try shooting herself. I can also bring my S&W model 22a and some ammo.

Certainly, you and your family are quite welcome at this event........ : )

If you'd care to bring some nice 'munchie', salad, side-dish, dessert item, whatever, to share at the barbecue aspect of the event, that would be nice.......but its by no means a 'requirement'......

We're using 22's only for the first two or three hours of the event, to keep the noise level down when newbies are being given basic instruction, and will fire the .32 to .45 handguns and shotguns later in the day.

cheers

Carla

SonofWWIIDI 11-07-2013 11:56 PM

This sound like a lot of fun. I wish I could come out for it, but with my current responsibilities at home it is quite difficult. I'm tagging this so that at some point in the future I can plan on attending, help out and have a little fun too!

Is it all small caliber stuff, or is some of the bigger stuff allowed?

Tagged!

Lil Stinkpot 11-08-2013 10:08 AM

It's smallbore (.22) rifles only, and handguns up to .45. No magnums. We try to keep it to .22 until after four, to keep the noise down for the more ... ahhh ... tender dispositions.

SonofWWIIDI 11-08-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot (Post 12721946)
It's smallbore (.22) rifles only, and handguns up to .45. No magnums. We try to keep it to .22 until after four, to keep the noise down for the more ... ahhh ... tender dispositions.

Thanks!

Lil Stinkpot 11-09-2013 8:00 PM

No problem. Hope to see you there some time. :)

This evening was a hoot. There were ... a LOT of people there, I'm not sure of the exact count. Enough to keep the line full up to closing time. Too bad that my Ruger 10-22 had a couple malfunctions, there were a number of people interested in shooting it. I'm glad that the missing part was found, yay!

Lil Stinkpot 11-11-2013 9:49 PM

I have a couple photos here, if you like, you can stick them in the OP.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/c...psfda2937a.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/c...psc80bb251.jpg

YUeah, that's my Ruger 10-22, with many a head hovering over, contemplating the cause of the failure. It turns out it was an assembly error, discovered the next morning. Ooopsies.

Is there electricity available outside? IO know that BBQ is already covered, but I'd like to offer the services of my electric hybrid smoker. It can't be used at my new home, and could use the exercise. Light rain, cold, non-issue.

Prairiedillo 11-18-2013 10:28 AM

I recently picked up a Ruger 10/22.

I'd like to join in the December 2nd Saturday.