Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Non-California Permits/Licenses (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=378)
-   -   Non-Resident WA-CPL?? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1628743)

DudeFromTheWest 07-10-2020 11:02 AM

Non-Resident WA-CPL??

Hey, I was looking at getting a WA state, non resident CPL for Grays Harbor county (where my friend has a house). Anyone have experience with this? I know it costs a little more than the resident permit, but is the process the same?

deephouse 07-10-2020 11:05 AM

I have mine from Clark County, not sure if it means anything extra for you, but Clark county issues the new style (plastic) cards w/ your image on it. They used to be paper w/ no picture. Good luck bud.

DudeFromTheWest 07-10-2020 11:14 AM

Yeah, I think they are all moving to the plastic style card. The reciprocity map looks pretty okay as well (Need it for both Arizona and N. Carolina too). Do you need to declare what gun you will be carrying? Or is the CPL good for anything?

deephouse 07-10-2020 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DudeFromTheWest (Post 24511200)
Yeah, I think they are all moving to the plastic style card. The reciprocity map looks pretty okay as well (Need it for both Arizona and N. Carolina too). Do you need to declare what gun you will be carrying? Or is the CPL good for anything?

I did not have to declare, but be ready for “oh you’re from California” slack lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9Cal_OC 07-10-2020 11:50 AM

You can do non-resident UT mail and that’ll give you WA, in case it doesn’t work out when you go up there.

dpop24 07-10-2020 8:18 PM

I did Clark county and it couldn’t have been easier. Walked in,told them what I was there for, handed in paperwork, paid and got finger printed. Card arrived in the mail back at my house in a few weeks.

I specifically asked if I could just carry one of my brother’s guns when I was visiting him or if it needed to be in my name. Sheriff chuckled at me and said “we don’t care what you carry, this isn’t California”.

You shouldn’t have any problems at all.

Milsurp1 07-10-2020 8:30 PM

Washington CPLs don’t list individual guns.

BAJ475 07-11-2020 3:16 AM

Got mine from the Spokane PD. Requirements are: Submit application, pay fee (approx. $50) and be printed for background check. I do not see anything on their website that it costs more for nonresidents. WA does not list what you can carry nor do they require any training or shooting qualification.

LoadedM333 07-12-2020 7:56 AM

Got mine from Seattle PD, very easy to get WA permit, the only issue is you have to apply in person.
Carry any pistol/revolver you like and good for 5 years.

Baja Daze 07-13-2020 4:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC (Post 24511368)
You can do non-resident UT mail and that’ll give you WA, in case it doesn’t work out when you go up there.

Seriously, just get the Utah permit, it gives you Washington and is a much better permit, plus a great back-up permit to have.

Big Jake 07-13-2020 4:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baja Daze (Post 24522177)
Seriously, just get the Utah permit, it gives you Washington and is a much better permit, plus a great back-up permit to have.

This!:)

DudeFromTheWest 07-13-2020 7:35 AM

Thanks guys! Ill look into the Utah permit as well.

Big Jake 07-13-2020 9:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DudeFromTheWest (Post 24522616)
Thanks guys! Ill look into the Utah permit as well.

"As well"? Why even bother? A Utah ccw can be obtained through the mail. Why go to the trouble of getting a WA permit?:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

9Cal_OC 07-13-2020 9:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Jake (Post 24523040)
"As well"? Why even bother? A Utah ccw can be obtained through the mail. Why go to the trouble of betting a WA permit?:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Just let OP do his thing. He is rather new to this (I’m assuming). He’ll figure it out I’m sure.

deephouse 07-13-2020 10:05 AM

Me personally, I think there’s value in having the WA permit if you frequent WA. There’s always a chance you have an encounter with a LEO that doesn’t know reciprocity AND is having a bad day. WA permit w current CA address and CA DL w matching Address is gonna be an easier conversation (than having to also explain reciprocity). Again, just my opinion.

dpop24 07-13-2020 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deephouse (Post 24523257)
Me personally, I think there’s value in having the WA permit if you frequent WA. There’s always a chance you have an encounter with a LEO that doesn’t know reciprocity AND is having a bad day. WA permit w current CA address and CA DL w matching Address is gonna be an easier conversation (than having to also explain reciprocity). Again, just my opinion.

I agree with this as well. Plus, I visit my brother in WA all the time, so it’s super easy to walk into the sheriff’s office and get it all squared away in a few minutes.

LoadedM333 07-13-2020 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deephouse (Post 24523257)

This is exactly the reason I got WA permit.

BAJ475 07-13-2020 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Jake (Post 24523040)
"As well"? Why even bother? A Utah ccw can be obtained through the mail. Why go to the trouble of getting a WA permit?:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

The reason is clear. Under federal law it is illegal to carry in a school zone unless you are licensed by the jurisdiction where the school zone is located and school zones are everywhere. See 18 U.S. Code § 922(q)(2).

swruger 07-17-2020 6:35 AM

Whitman County non-resident; walk in the door, one page application, front side of the paper only, something like $53.57 +/- application fees in cash; finger printed; received the permit about 15 days later +/-.

DudeFromTheWest 07-19-2020 9:01 AM

Hey guys checking back in. While I like the Utah permit. The WA permit I think would look better if I am ever stopped. A cop may not know that the state has reciprocity with Utah (most cops are not gun guys or even carry guys), and I would rather have a permit thats guaranteed, and not being detained until a Sargent showed up and cleared the situation. Also a vast majority of my time would be in WA, vs other states, so not as critical for the other states.

deephouse 07-19-2020 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DudeFromTheWest (Post 24549519)
Hey guys checking back in. While I like the Utah permit. The WA permit I think would look better if I am ever stopped. A cop may not know that the state has reciprocity with Utah (most cops are not gun guys or even carry guys), and I would rather have a permit thats guaranteed, and not being detained until a Sargent showed up and cleared the situation. Also a vast majority of my time would be in WA, vs other states, so not as critical for the other states.

Good call

ezaircon4jc 07-27-2020 12:27 PM

I'll be applying for my WA in a few weeks when we go to Leavenworth. I already have AZ which pretty much makes the UT license redundant. After WA, I would only "need" OR to complete almost every state we would visit.

Now, if the Legislature would get off of Russia, Russia, Russia, Ukraine, Ukraine, Ukraine, COVID, COVIC, COVID we just might get the national reciprocity that we are entitled!! Then we would be free of the ever-changing goalposts!

ezaircon4jc 09-03-2020 5:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc (Post 24584802)
I'll be applying for my WA in a few weeks when we go to Leavenworth. I already have AZ which pretty much makes the UT license redundant. After WA, I would only "need" OR to complete almost every state we would visit.

Now, if the Legislature would get off of Russia, Russia, Russia, Ukraine, Ukraine, Ukraine, COVID, COVIC, COVID we just might get the national reciprocity that we are entitled!! Then we would be free of the ever-changing goalposts!

Quoting myself...

The Leavenworth sheriff's office is a house and all they do is paperwork and the deputy was quite friendly. He said I would have to go to the Wenatchee office to submit my application. The round trip took more time than the process! Including prints, I was in and out in 5 minutes! Too bad SD isn't as efficient; though they are getting better!

ezaircon4jc 09-28-2020 3:26 PM

Got my WA permit in the mail today; 3 1/2 weeks after submitting. Any of you WA holders know if the permit can be laminated? Paper permits suck, IMHO.

Milsurp1 09-28-2020 3:51 PM

My local police department here in WA laminated mine for me. I think they charged me a whole extra dollar to do so.

ezaircon4jc 09-29-2020 2:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milsurp1 (Post 24864777)
My local police department here in WA laminated mine for me. I think they charged me a whole extra dollar to do so.

Thanks. I'll laminate it tout suite.

Milsurp1 09-29-2020 2:53 PM

Unlike CA, here there isn’t a nuanced law lurking behind every corner to regulate every minute level of detail in everyone’s lives. It is very refreshing.

deephouse 10-07-2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc (Post 24864665)
Got my WA permit in the mail today; 3 1/2 weeks after submitting. Any of you WA holders know if the permit can be laminated? Paper permits suck, IMHO.

I went to Clark county which offers the new one (plastic card w photo).

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...82afb47e62.jpg