Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   FFL's Forum (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Interstate transfer from deceased in-law (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1414032)

ElKootcho 01-04-2018 10:36 AM

Interstate transfer from deceased in-law

Hello,

I am new to the forum and not yet a gun-owner so please excuse my ignorance.

My father-in-law recently passed away (xmas day) and surviving mother-in-law would like to gift me his handgun (unknown make and model, she still needs to find the key to where it's hidden!). It is registered to the deceased father-in-law.

The gun is in PA and I am, obviously, in CA.

How do I go about getting this done? I am in the Los Angeles area (San Fernando Valley). I have never owned a gun so I would like to find a FFL that can help with the background check and transfer as well as teach me to clean and shoot safely (in-door range?).

Any recommendations or suggestion of where to start? Thank you.

SkyHawk 01-04-2018 10:44 AM

We need to know exactly what handgun first. If it is not on roster and is not roster exempt, then it cannot be done.

Go find out what it is - exactly, and I mean spare no details. The difference between a Glock 19 Gen 3 made in USA vs a Glock 19 Gen 3 made in Austria is the difference between getting it or not. Subtleties matter. In the case of something old, then the serial number is going to help determine if it is 50+ years old (and exempt) or not. Even the color of the gun matters to the roster listing.

Pics would help us help you if you cannot figure out what it is.

ElKootcho 01-04-2018 11:00 AM

Thanks for the reply. I will update this post when I get more details.

edgerly779 01-04-2018 11:00 AM

if off roster must be father son up and down in laws not family for this purpose

kemasa 01-04-2018 12:50 PM

In this case it would be coming from his mother--in-law. If she is his actual mother, it would be exempt as an intramilial transfer, as long as it isn't a so-called a-salt weapon. It could be given to a direct relative.

ElKootcho 01-09-2018 8:24 AM

4 Attachment(s)
My wife was able to grab a few pictures. Smith and Wesson Airweight 38 SPL

SkyHawk 01-09-2018 8:58 AM

That looks like a Model 38 Bodyguard aluminum frame with square butt. They started making them in the 1950s until 1999. We need the serial number to see if this one is older than 50 years, because it is not on the roster. There is a new model Bodyguard on the roster but it has a polymer frame, it is not this model.

ElKootcho 01-12-2018 8:53 AM

Thank you for the feedback. This issue is being put on hold for a while as my wife has returned home and did not have time to get the serial number before she left.

Chewy65 01-12-2018 10:36 AM

Assuming the MIL is your wife's mother, your MIL can give it to your wife in what is called a interstate intrafamily transfer, but your MIL cannot transfer it to you.

rkt88edmo 01-12-2018 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewy65 (Post 21146182)
Assuming the MIL is your wife's mother, your MIL can give it to your wife in what is called a interstate intrafamily transfer, but your MIL cannot transfer it to you.

This. Not rocket science. No worry about roster as it doesnt sound like your wife is phobic.

acespawnshop 01-12-2018 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewy65 (Post 21146182)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkt88edmo (Post 21146325)
This. Not rocket science. No worry about roster as it doesnt sound like your wife is phobic.

This transfer still needs to go through an FFL since the OP said the MIL is in PA and I would assume the wife lives here in LA area.

rkt88edmo 01-12-2018 1:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acespawnshop (Post 21146600)
This transfer still needs to go through an FFL since the OP said the MIL is in PA and I would assume the wife lives here in LA area.

So you are confirming what I confirmed? Lol.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

code_blue 01-12-2018 1:26 PM

Chewy, rkt, and Ace are correct here. Transfer to wife and if you really wanted, wife to you. Communal property, but your choice.

acespawnshop 01-12-2018 1:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkt88edmo (Post 21146785)
So you are confirming what I confirmed? Lol.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

No, I wasn't. It was neither implied nor said it had to be done through an FFL. Even CAL DOJ F's these up and tells out of state shippers to just fill out the OP law form. Not to mention if he is in LA area chances are its probably going to end up here anyhow.

kemasa 01-12-2018 3:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acespawnshop (Post 21146934)
No, I wasn't. It was neither implied nor said it had to be done through an FFL.

Which is important to specifically state that it has to go through a CA FFL.

Quote:

Even CAL DOJ F's these up and tells out of state shippers to just fill out the OP law form.
I wonder if they are still giving the bad info. I talked to a person a while ago and pointed them to look at the Federal law which says that it is not legal to do that. I was also told that it was the Sacramento BATF office which gave the CA DOJ the bad info, or at least that is what the CA DOJ said.

Quote:

Not to mention if he is in LA area chances are its probably going to end up here anyhow.
Perhaps :-).

otteray 01-12-2018 5:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElKootcho (Post 21145693)
Thank you for the feedback. This issue is being put on hold for a while as my wife has returned home and did not have time to get the serial number before she left.

As a newly minted firearm owner, you should know that when giving out a firearm serial number on a public internet site, it is a common and prudent practice to show the last two digits as in this example, N1234XX; for your own protection against scammers and the like.