Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Ammo and Reloading (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Reloading news flash!!!! (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=647991)

OHOD 11-24-2012 8:38 AM

Reloading news flash!!!!

I'm settled in to my new apartment.

Heading out to Home Depot to buy a small work bench to set up my reloading/firearm work station. :D

I will post picks later!

Wish me luck in that I don't get trompled by the post-Black Friday crowd.

Mutant 11-24-2012 9:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHOD (Post 9781694)

Heading out to Home Depot to buy a small work bench to set up my reloading/firearm work station. :D

I will post picks later!

Picks of buying at Home Depot. Can hardly wait. :TFH::D:seeya:

Javi 11-24-2012 9:48 AM

Are you getting a "Workmate" or a small, ready to assemble bench?
Also, where is the option in the poll that says "Will change mind & place a larger order through Scottsdale Silver" :D

BACKTOSHOOTING 11-24-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutant (Post 9781985)
Picks of buying at Home Depot. Can hardly wait. :TFH::D:seeya:

This

Quinc 11-24-2012 10:38 AM

Should have went to harbor freight instead.

thmpr 11-24-2012 11:18 AM

Recommend to look at a craftsman bench.

Javi 11-24-2012 11:32 AM

I think I know which bench OHOD is getting. I just got back from Home Depot since someone here posted the ad showing a $60 semi-portable work bench(72" long) so I ran out of my house and picked one up. The display model was a touch wobbly but it looked pretty darn good! I should have read how long it was. Pretty tough to get it into my sedan but luckily I live across the street from H.D. Now...Just need to find a place to set it up:

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/4180/dsc0868u.jpg

Eldraque 11-24-2012 11:43 AM

OHOD, do you make spelling errors intentionally? seems like every thread you make has one word just sitting there, a little too perfectly mis-spelled. :TFH::

Eldraque 11-24-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javi (Post 9782464)
Now...Just need to find a place to set it up:

True story!

OHOD 11-24-2012 11:49 AM

Tadah!!!!!!

So I'm getting ready to go to Home Depot and my mom says (yes my mom), "Where you going?"
"Home Depot to pick up a work bench." I says.
"Why don't you use that one." as she points to the other side of the room.

Oh yeah, good idea! :thumbsup:
Never made it to HD, instead OSH to pick up a couple of bolts, storage bins and etc...

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/a...d/IMG_1040.jpg

Yes, BB and Bf, that is the same table I used to have. Finally pulled out the press.

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/a...d/IMG_1041.jpg

Used a coping saw to cut away a section for the press, drilled a couple of holes and then....BAM! Super cool reloading bench!
Note the drawers below the press. One is to catch any junk that falls off the press and the bottom drawer is for dirty brass and etc...

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/a...d/IMG_1042.jpg

The finished product!
I think I need some pink ribbons to make it girly like. What do you think? :p

Here is a serious question though, ...
I've read that carpets are notorious for generating a spark. Prior to reloading, I want to create a safe environment.

1. What would you recommend to be placed below the table so as not to create a poor mans Vandegraff Generator?

2. I would like to create a ground maybe?

Basically, I need some advice on safety and spark suppression.

OHOD 11-24-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eldraque (Post 9782514)
OHOD, do you make spelling errors intentionally? seems like every thread you make has one word just sitting there, a little too perfectly mis-spelled. :TFH::

Oh goodness. :TFH:

Hmm, you got me thinking now. :rolleyes:

Rock6.3 11-24-2012 12:05 PM

lefty 'eh?

It looks nice, and it's about the size I started with. It was way too small ultimately.

Good start :)

Javi 11-24-2012 12:12 PM

Woah, nice little cubicle thing :) Really like that you cut part of the top there. I guess the linkage was interfering? I like that it's going to be really stable since it's not hanging off the edge like mine probably will.

NickMc 11-24-2012 12:17 PM

I use ESD control procedures on a daily basis. It never occurred to me that ESD control in reloading would be an issue but WOW! The worst case result for a discharge in reloading is far worse than anything that would happen in the semiconductor industry!

Here's a place to get ideas... http://desco.descoindustries.com/

Colt562 11-24-2012 12:18 PM

Looks good.

drdarrin@sbcglobal.net 11-24-2012 12:19 PM

If that table top is not solid wood, you will want to reinforce it with some plywood or a metal plate. Otherwise, that should work great for reloading pistol cartridges and well lubed rifle cartridges. I have the same press although mine is much older I think.

Full Clip 11-24-2012 12:21 PM

Not much smaller than my bench. It'll work.

OHOD 11-24-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drdarrin@sbcglobal.net (Post 9782675)
If that table top is not solid wood, you will want to reinforce it with some plywood or a metal plate. Otherwise, that should work great for reloading pistol cartridges and well lubed rifle cartridges. I have the same press although mine is much older I think.

All I am reloading at this time is 38 spl and 357 mag.

ESD control, hmm.

rsrocket1 11-24-2012 1:05 PM

Might make cleanup a little easier if you get one of those desk floor mats or just a rectangular piece of linoleum. It makes picking up those pesky spent primers easier as well as those errant flakes of powder.

OHOD 11-24-2012 2:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsrocket1 (Post 9782863)
Might make cleanup a little easier if you get one of those desk floor mats or just a rectangular piece of linoleum. It makes picking up those pesky spent primers easier as well as those errant flakes of powder.

:thumbsup:

CGT80 11-24-2012 2:58 PM

Nice job, OHOD. I read one of your posts recently and didn't look at the name. I just thought it was another guy posting until they said "she." I looked up and realized it was you. :thumbsup: for hanging out in a guys world. It looks like you are pretty handy too. I wish there were more women around like you. Do you have any like minded girl friends in the IE area? :43:

Anyway, congrats on the loading bench. I haven't heard yet if you were reloading before you moved, but I would be lost without my loading gear. That looks like a comfortable place to make up some ammo. A couple of my guns have never even seen factory ammo. I have an 8 foot long custom made bench in my living room that my presses are bolted to. The bedroom is good enough for watching tv (actually I prefer it). Reloading helps me to save money, watching tv........not so much.

Show us some finished rounds with your gun and loading bench when you get it all up and going.

Dutch3 11-24-2012 7:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHOD (Post 9782753)
ESD control, hmm.

You have some grounding options with the electric receptacle nearby. It would not be a bad idea to ground your press, especially considering the carpeted floor.

NoHeavyHitter 11-24-2012 7:41 PM

It seems like such a large bench to mount a tiny little "RS" press.. You should have went with a larger press like a "Rock Chucker" (unless all you plan to reload is pistol ammo) and used the desk for a temporary work area for measuring powder or writing poems. You'll likely need to reinforce the top if you ever try sizing anything larger than a .223 - so expect to need to add a metal plate to the bottom of the table top unless it's already sturdy.

My reloading "worktop" surface is less than 8x9 inches and I have the largest press made by RCBS as well as a dedicated priming station and trimmer all permanently mounted to the worktop. Heck, if I want - I can take it to the range and reload between shots! If company comes over, I can put it in the closet or out of the way. Essentially - I'm doing a whole lot more using WAY less space.

And yeah - I own an RS press and a couple of Rock Chuckers too, so I speak from straight-up experience. My "Blammo-master" just happens to be perfect for reloading those "larger, more stubborn calibers"...;)

Dutch3 11-24-2012 7:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHeavyHitter (Post 9784604)
It seems like such a large bench to mount a tiny little "RS" press.. You should have went with a larger press like a "Rock Chucker" (unless all you plan to reload is pistol ammo) and used the desk for a temporary work area for measuring powder or writing poems. You'll likely need to reinforce the top if you ever try sizing anything larger than a .223 - so expect to need to add a metal plate to the bottom of the table top unless it's already sturdy.

My reloading "worktop" surface is less than 8x9 inches and I have the largest press made by RCBS as well as a dedicated priming station and trimmer all permanently mounted to the worktop. Heck, if I want - I can take it to the range and reload between shots! If company comes over, I can put it in the closet or out of the way. Essentially - I'm doing a whole lot more using WAY less space.

And yeah - I own an RS press and a couple of Rock Chuckers too, so I speak from straight-up experience. My "Blammo-master" just happens to be perfect for reloading those "larger, more stubborn calibers"...;)

I can't speak for OHOD, but I like having some room to work. My reloading bench is about 7' long, and while I currently have only one press, I have room to mount more. Conserving space is great if it is absolutely necessary, but having to move things, set up, take down, hide from "company", etc., can be a PITA over time.

I think OHOD's setup is a fine use of the available space. It fits nicely in the corner, yet provides enough room to spread things out if necessary.

My humble mess.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3...109_131504.jpg

NoHeavyHitter 11-24-2012 8:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch3 (Post 9784717)
I think OHOD's setup is a fine use of the available space. It fits nicely in the corner, yet provides enough room to spread things out if necessary.

Don't get me wrong - a dedicated room for reloading is terrific! I have such a room along with a pair of Rock Chuckers + an RS press. The "problem" is that (in 2012) dedicating such space becomes difficult for most people that want to start reloading - especially apartment dwellers. Here's a photo of my reloading room->

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/k...adingBench.jpg

Since few people own a home where they can devote an entire room to reloading, my intent is as a mentor (not to be critical) but rather to encourage a reloading strategy that involves only a "small footprint".

More shooters would choose to reload if they knew that a large dedicated space was unnecessary. Here's a photo of my latest reloading rig - just the beginning...

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/k...PressStand.jpg

And here's a photo of the rig up and running. I've processed over 400 rounds of .50 BMG on this setup.

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/k...ressStand2.jpg

I use magnetic "tool trays" for small things I want to keep near. But for now, there is little that I cannot accomplish with the small-footprint press.

For wealthier people with homes that have 10,000 sq ft of space - my method would not be of much interest. But I'm a middle-class fellow just trying to make the most of what I have and show others how easy it is to duplicate.

zomie 11-24-2012 8:34 PM

My only suggestion is to put down some kind of a mat since you are reloading on carpet. Gun powder and loose primers are great on a vacuum :)

bohoki 11-24-2012 9:01 PM

i get by with a press clamped to a sturdy barstool

Vlad 11 11-24-2012 11:08 PM

Nice setup!

I have a vintage '68 RCBS jr2 like that. Built like a tank. Do you have the primer tray?

Had it mounted on a particleboard tabletop and busted the edge of the table trying to size some x54.

Ghostrider Recon. 11-25-2012 12:24 AM

I picked up that pre-fab work bench at HD then bought a Craftsman hydraulic barstool with backrest at Sears for $40. Not a bad setup.

Dark Mod 11-25-2012 12:31 AM

Glad you found space to continue reloading, Its difficult to make a place for it inside, especially a dedicated bench like that. Im lucky to have a garage that doubles as a mancave, nearly all the wallspace is dedicated to weaponry or reloading. I cant imagine what i would do if i was forced to move all that gear inside.

Dutch3 11-25-2012 2:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHeavyHitter (Post 9784975)

Since few people own a home where they can devote an entire room to reloading, my intent is as a mentor (not to be critical) but rather to encourage a reloading strategy that involves only a "small footprint".

Since my wife has already commandeered two rooms in the house as "craft rooms", my setup is out in a shed. I could make room in the house if need be, and I may set up a press inside for when it is too hot/cold outside.

I started reloading at the kitchen table using a Lee Classic Loader, a short piece of 2x6 and a hammer. That's a pretty small footprint. But it made my wife "nervous". :43:

Californio 11-25-2012 10:19 AM

Threading the powder measure into the press is a PAIN. RCBS used to make an offset piece of metal, I don't see it listed today as a separate, that you mount the powder measure on, permanently, and then just use a die to attach the other end to the press. Easy on and off and no treading with powder in the measure.

It is just a straight piece of steel 6" long and 1.5" wide, radiuses at each corner and 7/8" holes at each end. RCBS calls it a "Stand Plate" they don't show it on the site but I bet they would sell you one.

If not, I am sure Bruce could whip one up for you.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHOD (Post 9782545)
Tadah!!!!!!

So I'm getting ready to go to Home Depot and my mom says (yes my mom), "Where you going?"
"Home Depot to pick up a work bench." I says.
"Why don't you use that one." as she points to the other side of the room.

Oh yeah, good idea! :thumbsup:
Never made it to HD, instead OSH to pick up a couple of bolts, storage bins and etc...

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/a...d/IMG_1040.jpg

Yes, BB and Bf, that is the same table I used to have. Finally pulled out the press.

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/a...d/IMG_1041.jpg

Used a coping saw to cut away a section for the press, drilled a couple of holes and then....BAM! Super cool reloading bench!
Note the drawers below the press. One is to catch any junk that falls off the press and the bottom drawer is for dirty brass and etc...

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/a...d/IMG_1042.jpg

The finished product!
I think I need some pink ribbons to make it girly like. What do you think? :p

Here is a serious question though, ...
I've read that carpets are notorious for generating a spark. Prior to reloading, I want to create a safe environment.

1. What would you recommend to be placed below the table so as not to create a poor mans Vandegraff Generator?

2. I would like to create a ground maybe?

Basically, I need some advice on safety and spark suppression.

Spyder 11-25-2012 1:11 PM

Go to a government auction and buy one of the old steel desks. I have one that is PERFECT for my reloading setup. I bolted all my gear right to it, it's got a ball bearing roll out drawer, lots of space is high enough off the ground, and is fire resistant.

gemoose23 11-25-2012 1:34 PM

Looks nice. A lot better than my workmate setup I currently use.

SURVIVOR619 11-25-2012 1:41 PM

Very nice setup! Looks real clean!

Dutch3 11-25-2012 2:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder (Post 9788169)
Go to a government auction and buy one of the old steel desks.

Absolutely, they are heavy and nearly bulletproof.

Just beware of the spring-loaded typewriter shelf in the lower compartment. :eek:

OHOD 11-25-2012 5:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Californio (Post 9787343)
Threading the powder measure into the press is a PAIN. RCBS used to make an offset piece of metal, I don't see it listed today as a separate, that you mount the powder measure on, permanently, and then just use a die to attach the other end to the press. Easy on and off and no treading with powder in the measure.

It is just a straight piece of steel 6" long and 1.5" wide, radiuses at each corner and 7/8" holes at each end. RCBS calls it a "Stand Plate" they don't show it on the site but I bet they would sell you one.

If not, I am sure Bruce could whip one up for you.:D

I have one. It come with the press.
Planning on setting it up.

TAS 11-25-2012 5:56 PM

I read your first post and was beginning to wonder what happened to that little desk. I remember helping you move it and even you mentioning that you were going to use it for reloading 'some day'. Glad you were able to get it all set up!

I have a dedicated space for my reloading gear but unfortunately, just haven't had the time to crank anything out lately. I've been inspired again so I'll have to see if I can change that!

drdarrin@sbcglobal.net 11-25-2012 6:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHOD (Post 9789405)
I have one. It come with the press.
Planning on setting it up.

For ESD protection... the simplest method to me would be to make sure you don't generate any electrical static. If you can walk across the floor in the clothes (most importantly shoes) that you would normally reload in and not get shocked when you touch the screw on a light switch, then I doubt you have anything to worry about. Just my $0.02. Others may disagree.

damndave 11-26-2012 12:06 AM

Looks good! Should definitely get some sort of mat under your bench. There will be plenty of powder spills and dead primers floating around.