Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calgunners in Service (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Silver Dollar Salute Curse? (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=875307)

Letterman52 01-04-2014 12:33 PM

Silver Dollar Salute Curse?
 
Here's a new one to me. So I'm headed to Quantico shortly to start WOBC. As part of the tradition upon appointment you give the person who renders you your first salute a silver dollar. So I purchased a 05 USMC silver dollar for the occasion. So anyways I was talking to some of the other guys selected going with me and I guess if you cheap out and just use the Eisenhower silver dollar it's bad luck. Pretty amusing. Just seeing if anyone wise has heard this myth?

anothergunnut 01-05-2014 3:33 PM

My sister and her husband both graduated from the Air Force Academy. At the time, I was enlisted in the USAF and was in uniform at the ceremony so I was the first person to salute my brother in law and received his silver dollar. I'm sure it was an Eisenhower dollar as that was the only game in town at the time (1982).

In hindsight, a genuine silver dollar (such as a Peace dollar or Morgan dollar) would have been something the recipient would keep forever. I think that your choice of a USMC silver dollar would likewise be something the recipient would keep forever.

Mud Eagle 01-05-2014 4:40 PM

Is it supposed to be bad luck on you, or the person who saluted you?

I did the ol' Eisenhower dollar thing in the 90s, and both me and the SSgt who gave me the salute have done just fine in our subsequent careers and lives.

19K 01-06-2014 7:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mud Eagle (Post 13138998)
Is it supposed to be bad luck on you, or the person who saluted you?

I did the ol' Eisenhower dollar thing in the 90s, and both me and the SSgt who gave me the salute have done just fine in our subsequent careers and lives.

That's because it's just a story

18Dmedic 01-06-2014 7:43 AM

Cool story bro...lol

Just the usual superstitious scuttlebutt.

Letterman52 01-06-2014 2:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mud Eagle (Post 13138998)
Is it supposed to be bad luck on you, or the person who saluted you?

I did the ol' Eisenhower dollar thing in the 90s, and both me and the SSgt who gave me the salute have done just fine in our subsequent careers and lives.

I think it was geared more for the guy starting a new career path. Like I mentioned it was more entertaining then anything else. A class full of superstitious people. This is going to be interesting.

Stormfeather 01-06-2014 6:19 PM

Cover your bases, instead of a silver dollar, use a Gold Eagle,

and I will need to know what day you are graduating on, and a pic of you please.

xrayoneone 01-06-2014 7:38 PM

A story to make butter bars spend $5 on a $1 coin.

Letterman52 01-16-2014 6:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormfeather (Post 13146594)
Cover your bases, instead of a silver dollar, use a Gold Eagle,

and I will need to know what day you are graduating on, and a pic of you please.



PM me about this request.

Timbob55 01-16-2014 7:10 PM

Nope

MRX9989 01-17-2014 11:15 PM

Never heard of that. I purchased a regular mint silver dollar. The Soldier I gave mine to ended up working for me in Afghanistan a couple years later as an NCO.

epilepticninja 01-19-2014 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Letterman52 (Post 13130445)
Here's a new one to me. So I'm headed to Quantico shortly to start WOBC. As part of the tradition upon appointment you give the person who renders you your first salute a silver dollar. So I purchased a 05 USMC silver dollar for the occasion. So anyways I was talking to some of the other guys selected going with me and I guess if you cheap out and just use the Eisenhower silver dollar it's bad luck. Pretty amusing. Just seeing if anyone wise has heard this myth?

I had a brand new butterbar give me a dollar bill as I was his first salute. Very sad.

SonofWWIIDI 01-19-2014 2:28 AM

I salute you sir for taking the time to consider what, if any, ramifications may be involved with the tradition.

Now, where's my silver dollar?!?

:rofl2:

Letterman52 01-19-2014 8:47 AM

Well leaving tomorrow to start the drive to Virginia. Thanks for all the replies gentlemen.

Nor Cal Scot 01-19-2014 9:12 AM

You're screwed. You ain't dead yet, so plenty of time for that bad juju to catch up.

morningglory 01-19-2014 8:30 PM

I didn't even know it was bad luck.

roll2li 01-19-2014 10:25 PM

Have never heard of any rumor associated with the quality/rarity of the dollar presented, besides it needing to be silver not a greenback. Basic theme is to not cheap out, since the Ike dollar is just silver plated not like the others.

I believe I gave a Morgan dollar, it was to a friend and I wanted him to have something unique.

TMcGuff 01-23-2014 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll2li (Post 13243479)
Have never heard of any rumor associated with the quality/rarity of the dollar presented, besides it needing to be silver not a greenback. Basic theme is to not cheap out, since the Ike dollar is just silver plated not like the others.

I believe I gave a Morgan dollar, it was to a friend and I wanted him to have something unique.

un related topic i looked at your signature photo and i just wanted to say

"OMAHA!"


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 4:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.