Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   357 Auto AR upper? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=266607)

gun toting monkeyboy 02-04-2010 5:45 PM

357 Auto AR upper?
 
Has anybody on here done one of these? How well does it work? What kind of velocities does it get? Is it worthwhile, or not so much? Does it use regular 10mm Auto cases? I couldn't find any information on the 10mm magnum that was listed as the parent case. Anybody? Randall?

ChrisO 02-04-2010 5:47 PM

a .357 is NOT a 10mm and .357 has been around a lot longer. It would be a cool rifle none the less.

B Strong 02-04-2010 5:50 PM

If your talking about a .357 Sig upper, I've never seen one, but they could be a build job using a lower that would take Glock mags.

Same thing would apply to a 9 x 25 Dillon build, you could use Glock 20 mags.

gun toting monkeyboy 02-04-2010 5:52 PM

I think you may be talking about the .357 Auto Mag. This is something from AR15Barrels' website. It appears to be a 10mm case of some sort run through a backed-off .357 sig die, and loaded with 200gr spitzers. It kind of reminds me of a .300 Whisper on steroids.

B Strong 02-04-2010 5:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gun toting monkeyboy (Post 3754834)
I think you may be talking about the .357 Auto Mag. This is something from AR15Barrels' website. It appears to be a 10mm case of some sort run through a backed-off .357 sig die, and loaded with 200gr spitzers. It kind of reminds me of a .300 Whisper on steroids.

What are the dimensions of the case?

gun toting monkeyboy 02-04-2010 6:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B Strong (Post 3754844)
What are the dimensions of the case?

Here is the link:

http://www.ar15barrels.com/prod/357auto.shtml

I can't figure out how to copy the image and post it here, as I am an idiotic monkeyboy.

ChrisO 02-04-2010 6:01 PM

Your probably talking about .357 sig as 10mm is the father round of 40 cal.

ChrisO 02-04-2010 6:04 PM

CASE***

gun toting monkeyboy 02-04-2010 6:06 PM

No, I am not. Please follow the link. I am well aware or the other cartridges, and would have said .357 Auto Mag or .357 Sig if that was what I meant. This is something I have not seen before. Which is why I was asking about it.

B Strong 02-04-2010 6:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gun toting monkeyboy (Post 3754856)
Here is the link:

http://www.ar15barrels.com/prod/357auto.shtml

I can't figure out how to copy the image and post it here, as I am an idiotic monkeyboy.

I get it.

The round might have some level of utility, but I don't see what it would do better than other similar rounds.

It would be interesting to experiment with it as a round for a suppressed rifle build, but again, it's not breaking much new ground - Lee Jurras developed rounds with a performance envelope similar to this round 30-40 years ago.

ChrisO 02-04-2010 6:22 PM

Followed the link. It's a 10MM case getting necked down with a.357 sig die. You would do your self a solid by just messaging Randall... he is on here you know... If you can't figure out what it is by reading that link you provided you hence the "is it a 10mm case?" when it clearly states
"This cartridge is formed by necking down 10mm Magnum cases in a 357 Sig die held 0.300" off the shellholder."Then you probably cant load it :rolleyes:

JBird33 02-04-2010 7:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisO (Post 3754996)
Followed the link. It's a 10MM case getting necked down with a.357 sig die. You would do your self a solid by just messaging Randall... he is on here you know... If you can't figure out what it is by reading that link you provided you hence the "is it a 10mm case?" when it clearly states
"This cartridge is formed by necking down 10mm Magnum cases in a 357 Sig die held 0.300" off the shellholder."Then you probably cant load it :rolleyes:

You rolled your eyes but your post itself is incorrect. It isn't a 10mm case necked down with a .357 Sig die. It is 10mm Mag. 10mm Mag is a longer version of the 10mm Auto.

In short, it is NOT a 10mm case being used. It is 10mm Magnum. Two different cartridges.

ChrisO 02-04-2010 7:57 PM

Oh jeeze forgot to put MAGNUM... Note I didn't put AUTO either :rolleyes:

ChrisO 02-04-2010 8:03 PM

Ehhh nevermind.

aplinker 02-04-2010 8:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisO (Post 3754804)
a .357 is NOT a 10mm and .357 has been around a lot longer. It would be a cool rifle none the less.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisO (Post 3754862)
Your probably talking about .357 sig as 10mm is the father round of 40 cal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisO (Post 3754880)
CASE***

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisO (Post 3754996)
Followed the link. It's a 10MM case getting necked down with a.357 sig die. You would do your self a solid by just messaging Randall... he is on here you know... If you can't figure out what it is by reading that link you provided you hence the "is it a 10mm case?" when it clearly states
"This cartridge is formed by necking down 10mm Magnum cases in a 357 Sig die held 0.300" off the shellholder."Then you probably cant load it :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisO (Post 3755530)
Oh jeeze forgot to put MAGNUM... Note I didn't put AUTO either :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisO (Post 3755556)
Ehhh nevermind.

It's OK not to post when you have no clue what you're talking about.

aplinker 02-04-2010 8:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gun toting monkeyboy (Post 3754787)
Has anybody on here done one of these? How well does it work? What kind of velocities does it get? Is it worthwhile, or not so much? Does it use regular 10mm Auto cases? I couldn't find any information on the 10mm magnum that was listed as the parent case. Anybody? Randall?

What's your motivation?

gun toting monkeyboy 02-04-2010 8:37 PM

Ah, that was the information I needed. I knew it said 10mm Magnum, but I wasn't sure if that was a misprint because it was a cartridge I hadn't heard of before. My motivation is mostly curiosity. Although being able to replicate a .35 Remington through an AR platform would be kind of entertaining too. That could make for an entertaining brush gun.

-Mb

JBird33 02-04-2010 8:41 PM

If you are interested in it I'm sure Randall could help in building the upper. 10mm Magnum brass is available from Starline. Get some .357 Sig dies and you'd be ready to rock. That'd be a neat, unique AR.

ChrisO 02-04-2010 8:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aplinker (Post 3755698)
It's OK not to post when you have no clue what you're talking about.

Haha yeah because the guy came on here talking about a .357 round from a case that the 10mm was a predecessor to sounded like a .357 sig to me smart*****. Haha.

JBird33 02-04-2010 8:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisO (Post 3755812)
Haha yeah because the guy came on here talking about a .357 round from a case that the 10mm was a predecessor to sounded like a .357 sig to me smart*****. It's funny because this is comming ffrom the guy on calguns that thinks he knows everything :/ .

That might be a relevant argument if your first post in this thread wasn't referring to a revolver cartridge.

ChrisO 02-04-2010 9:36 PM

OK. I first skimmed it and figured since he didn't seem to know exactly what cartridge he was talking about I figured a .357 magnum but then I thought about it a little more and figured the only other possibility that I knew of was .357 sig. Just because it wasn't the first thing that came to my head does not mean it isn't relevant but ok bud :) .

ar15barrels 02-04-2010 10:46 PM

I never did make one of these.
I have about 15-20 dummies that I did feeding tests with, but I never ponied up for the custom reamer/gauges that were required to go to the next step.

gun toting monkeyboy 02-05-2010 7:29 AM

Well I guess that means that project is out. What kind of ballistics were you hoping to get out of it?

ar15barrels 02-05-2010 8:18 AM

Around 2000fps with a 180gr bullet.

mcholak 02-05-2010 8:23 AM

This is in no way helpful to this thread, but wasn't the ".357 automag" the machine gun round used in Beverly Hills Cop 2?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.