Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   CGSSA Northern California Chapters (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=287)
-   -   Hello from the BLM... Hollister Field Office (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=681303)

BLM - David 01-17-2013 1:31 PM

Hello from the BLM... Hollister Field Office

Hello Everyone,

My name is David Moore and I work for the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), Hollister Field Office. We manage Public Lands ranging from the northern San Luis Obispo County line to the southern edge of the Bay Area and from the Pacific Ocean over to Interstate 5.

I notice a lot of questions on here regarding shooting on BLM lands and we'd like to have an opportunity to clarify anything that comes up.

The most popular lands available for shooting within our boundary are Panoche and Tumey Hills off of the I-5 corridor and Williams Hill off of the I-101 corridor. These areas have quite a bit of information about them on our website as well as downloadable maps.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/hollister.html

We are looking for input regarding severe, repeated vandalism in the Tumey Hills. We have reached a point where we are going to have to consider closures of some areas if things don't change. Our restrooms, signs and information centers are being shot up faster than we can repair them.

Any ideas from this group would be very welcome in trying to find a solution that works for everyone.

(I spend a great deal of time in the field, so it may take a few days for me to get back to the forum to reply.)

Thanks,
David

4DMASTR 01-18-2013 6:05 AM

Welcome David! I don't have much free time these days but would be willing to help out if I am able

CSACANNONEER 01-18-2013 6:14 AM

Tagged to ask other BLM related questions later.

BTW, WELCOME to the forum! And, thanks for coming here to look for help!

newglockster 01-18-2013 6:26 AM

Welcome!

NORCAL#1 01-18-2013 6:42 AM

This sucks tumey is one of my favorite place's to shot. David I would be willing to help if we arranged a clean up!

em9sredbeam 01-18-2013 6:57 AM

Tagged. It is a shame to hear about the vandalism. There are always a few idiots ruining things for the majority of us that actually care and clean up after ourselves. I am down to help if we can find a day where I can get out there.

Guitarmoto 01-18-2013 7:08 AM

Wow cool. Its nice to be able to get the scoop from someone who actually works within the BLM.

As per your question, I'm sure there's some small preventative measures that can be done to curb some of the negative and harmful activities on the land, although I doubt we'll get people to stop acting like buffoons. If we figure the answer to that then we could cure society:)

Short of having better family units or strong role models for these individuals during their developmental years, I'm afraid it will continue to happen. Lol

What we can do is the same the thing we've been doing in society as a whole. Try to off set the actions of the crappy people by the actions of the good people.

Organize cleanups, repairs, spreading the word of potential closures etc.
Maybe our calguns community could step up the initiative

LTC-J 01-18-2013 7:02 PM

Hi David,
I somewhat frequent Panoche area (specifically Grizwold) for the last 6 months or so.

I was there last weekend and came home with a 2 gallon bag of spent shotgun shells and 2 quart bags full of regular brass. If I had a bigger bag, I would have left with more:(

For the most part, it appears to be in good condition in terms of no shot up signs. But the amount of debris is starting to accumulate across the ravine... especially shotgun clays:oji:

Out of curiosity, when did the picnic area and bathroom get put up? I had not been in a few years and was shocked the first time:o

lath 01-18-2013 7:41 PM

Hi David,

I went to Panoche for the first time a few weeks back and it looked really nice entering from the Mercey Springs side. Even the toilet area.

I'm really interested in the section of Panoche in the south accessed from the east from I-5 and Panoche Road. There is what looks like a long flat section for a nice safe long shot. This is just north of Tumey. Is there potential there or not accessible?

Thanks,
John

Ninety 01-18-2013 8:11 PM

Wow!! Thanks you for taking the time to drop us a line here.

Welcome to the community.

Nor Cal Guy 01-19-2013 2:08 AM

if i was even remotely close id be there to help out i hope others in the area reach out to you.

Dutch3 01-19-2013 4:19 AM

Welcome, David!

I'm not in that area but I am sure some of the members who are local can help keep an eye on things. Nobody likes to see facilities being destroyed.

anyracoon 01-19-2013 6:29 AM

Put me down for a clean-up party help. I might be able to supply some dumpster space also.

Rucku5 01-19-2013 7:58 AM

I am in to help as well!

MrNiceGuy 01-19-2013 8:42 AM

Regarding suggestions to deter people from vandalizing the facilities/signs/etc....I HATE to say it.....but if you put up wireless security cameras.....people's gonna think "I better no mess around.....they're gonna get my face and car license plate and come after me if I do something bad".

TDIguy 01-24-2013 1:26 PM

I live in the area and would participate in a cleanup. I'd suggest maybe large, highly visible signs that state in a very simple way that vandalism=land closures, but those signs will likely be shot to hell by idiots.

I was at Tumey last month and some moron had shot up the bathrooms recently, the concrete fragments were still strewn about the bathroom. Makes me sick.

nastyhabts26 01-24-2013 1:38 PM

Nice that you reach out to the law abiding gun owners that is something we dont see much with government workers.
I would assure you that if any of us witnessed suck acts it would be reported that type of behavior paints us in a bad light.
I do not use your areas, but I do use BLM land down south and so far I have mostly had good experiances with your rangers.
You might have them brush up on some of the gun laws though because most of them haven't got a clue.

WordVirus 01-24-2013 8:27 PM

I just went out there last weekend! what a great place! I/we left with more brass than we put out, and picked up any misc. trash that had been left laying around. we went past the first turn out and went in at the 2nd entrance. A great place, it's too bad that there is always some idiot to ruin things for the good folks... I hope things get better. :)
..james...

bbguns44 01-24-2013 8:41 PM

You need wireless solar powered cameras with object detection & remote logging. Then you will have videos of the people shooting & if they destroy things, you'll know what they look like. Big brother but no other way to deal
with jerks.

sully007 01-24-2013 8:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER (Post 10243205)
Tagged to ask other BLM related questions later.

BTW, WELCOME to the forum! And, thanks for coming here to look for help!

Ditto

BLM - David 01-25-2013 7:43 AM

Thank you everyone for the offers of help. If you do coordinate any cleanups, simply drop me a line via phone or email and we can go pick it up and drop it at the dump. If you give me a large enough lead time, I can provide contractor-grade trash bags prior to the cleanup.

Cameras: Our Law Enforcement has met with limited success using cameras for the reasons stated above. They are trying something new, so we'll see how that turns out.

Shooting guidelines: I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but I never miss an opportunity for a plug.
- You must be 150 YARDS from ANY developed site (picnic areas, restrooms, etc.) to shoot. This means the Griswold Hills picnic area and immediate vicinity are NOT open to shooting. You need to hike up the ridge to get far enough away to be legal. Same with Tumey Hills picnic area.
- You need to shoot into a hill (proper 'backstop')
- You may not shoot across a road or trail
- "Pack it in, pack it out", and this includes brass. Clay pigeons should be cleaned up, too. They may be 'biodegradable', but only after 10+ years.

Really our two main issues are dumping (for targets) and shooting vandalism of the recreation facilities and signs. One of the larger signs like those on the County road cost $1,200 with shipping. That doesn't even include the labor to install them.

If the current trend continues, we may be looking to do some outreach to various hunting/shooting clubs. If you don't mind, what are some of the clubs represented here on CalGuns, such as Ducks Unlimited, etc.?

Thank you for your time and input. The Boy Scouts just did a clean up out there, so I'll post here when there's enough garbage to do another one.

-David
Office# 831-630-5035
Email dtmoore@blm.gov

MrNiceGuy 01-25-2013 8:07 AM

Peoples going to hate me for bringing this up....how bout drones?

Dr Rockso 01-25-2013 8:35 AM

Drones? FAA issues aside, how big do you think the BLM's budget is? Maybe somebody can donate a sign that says "this area patrolled by aircraft" to scare away the idiots, but they'd need to be pretty dumb to believe it. As far as scary signage goes the usual approach seems to be more along the lines of "using firearms to destroy public property is a violation of xxxxx, yyyyy, and zzzzz and is punishable by up to n years in PMITA prison."

BLM - David 01-25-2013 8:36 AM

As entertaining of a thought as that is, one drone would cost WAY more than our entire office annual budget. DOD and Intelligence agencies are the only ones who get to play with drones, not us $poor land management agencies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy (Post 10315372)
Peoples going to hate me for bringing this up....how bout drones?

VictorFranko 01-25-2013 8:44 AM

Although I am nowhere near your op area David, I just wanted to comment how nice it is of you to come here and make yourself available to our members!

:thumbsup:

BLM - David 02-01-2013 12:14 PM

Thank you everyone for the words of welcome. I have every confidence that we will be able to get a handle on these issues with help from you.

All the best,
David

ExtremeX 02-01-2013 5:23 PM

David,

It’s wonderful to have you here. Many of us enjoy and cherish our time spent on BLM land to pursue our hobbies. Anything we can do to help keep BLM land open and clean is game with us!

Welcome to Calguns.