Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calgunners in Service (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Mortgages and Security Clearance Acceptance/Denial (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=452640)

Dannicus 07-06-2011 4:34 PM

Mortgages and Security Clearance Acceptance/Denial

I'm a Vet trying to get back into my old job as a DOD civil service employee, but my divorce has left me in a bad situation with the mortgage that went with the house that my ex got. Our divorce decree clearly stated that she would have the house AND be responsible for payments, but she has been unwilling to refinance and take my name off of the mortgages. On top of that, she stopped paying the 2nd mortgage. I'm aware that in the eyes of the bank, I'm on the hook for this stuff. I'm willing to take the credit hit and let the bank foreclose on the home due to the 2nd mortgages delinquency, but I'm not sure how this will affect my eligibility for clearance.

Anyone here have knowledge or experience in this matter?

Uriah02 07-06-2011 4:47 PM

As long as it isn't in your name/credit and you have an explanation for it in your SF86 it shouldn't be a problem. Use the "explanation" section to your fullest.

Dannicus 07-06-2011 4:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uriah02 (Post 6722196)
As long as it isn't in your name/credit and you have an explanation for it in your SF86 it shouldn't be a problem. Use the "explanation" section to your fullest.

I'm on the hook because it's in my name. My credit has already suffered. I'm prepared to provide a detailed explanation. Hopefully I look good as a whole; honorable discharge, CO's commendation and recommendation letters, good references from the DOD former co-workers that still work there, etc. I even have great credit history before this mortgage debacle.

Lost 07-06-2011 6:34 PM

Explain it. Don't hide anything. Good luck!

Dannicus 07-06-2011 6:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost (Post 6722861)
Explain it. Don't hide anything. Good luck!

Thanks!

ihorn 07-09-2011 12:54 PM

Explain everything. Show that in the paperwork she was supposed to do her part, but has not followed through with it like everyone else has said. I would also contact the banks with the divorce paperwork, and see if they can remove you, or if you need to go to court to have yourself removed from it.

Dannicus 07-09-2011 6:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihorn (Post 6740151)
Explain everything. Show that in the paperwork she was supposed to do her part, but has not followed through with it like everyone else has said. I would also contact the banks with the divorce paperwork, and see if they can remove you, or if you need to go to court to have yourself removed from it.

I'll be sure to be clear with my explanations. The banks don't recognize divorce papers. A divorce decree is only a contract between the couple getting divorced. I'm talking to a lawyer about post dissolution, now. Just not sure how much i can spend to get this fixed.

racky 07-10-2011 2:37 AM

my secret clearance went through with a foreclosure last year. i didn't have to talk to investigators or anything. it was a clearance renewal so i don't think they were as critical as they were when i got my clearance initially.

Dannicus 07-10-2011 11:42 AM

I'm not sure if mine classifies as a renewal or a new one. I haven't worked there for about three years.