Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Rimfire Firearms (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   SAVAGE MARK II OR MARLIN XT22 WHICH WOULD YOU PICK AND WHY (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=647207)

John3:16 11-22-2012 12:46 AM

SAVAGE MARK II OR MARLIN XT22 WHICH WOULD YOU PICK AND WHY
 
TITLE SAYS IT ALL

John3:16 11-22-2012 10:04 AM

ANYONE?

Izzy43 11-22-2012 10:14 AM

I have a Marlin 925M and a Savage MKII BTVS. I didn't pick either one as I think its a toss up. Savage a little better action, I think the Marlin has a better barrel (micro-groove).

Its Thanksgiving, don't expect too many replies today.

ar15barrels 11-22-2012 10:33 AM

There is more aftermarket parts for the savage if you think you might want to customize it.

GJC 11-22-2012 1:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ar15barrels (Post 9771568)
There is more aftermarket parts for the savage if you think you might want to customize it.

This is why I went with the savage, mine is in jail right now.

SilentPea 11-22-2012 8:22 PM

I took Savage because I already own one and am biased.

There is a easy way to mount up some decent target iron sights and a pretty loyal following of shooters over at RFC.

Excaliburr 11-22-2012 11:43 PM

Savage would be my choice. Maybe you should add a CZ to the lineup, then my choice would change.

goldengate 11-22-2012 11:47 PM

I have the Marlin XT22 and my friend got the Savage. Both triggers are awesome. It is a toss up. Pick the lower price one.

Chaos47 11-23-2012 12:28 AM

XT-22! The 10 round magazines interchange with the 795!

DIP makes scope bases for it and Boyds makes stocks for it. What else do you want?

Ogre8472 11-23-2012 11:07 PM

I had a similar question not to long ago. I love my savage mkiifv. Goes superbly with my other savages. 64 and 93

JNunez23 11-25-2012 9:59 AM

Savage MK II. Enjoy.

defcon 11-25-2012 10:23 AM

xt-22 tube fed
because it can hold 25 short rounds and 17 long rounds.. easier on your thumbs for reloads. especially if you use a speed loader that holds 15 rounds x 8 slots

the_t0ny 11-25-2012 1:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by defcon (Post 9787096)
xt-22 tube fed
because it can hold 25 short rounds and 17 long rounds.. easier on your thumbs for reloads. especially if you use a speed loader that holds 15 rounds x 8 slots

This! Only thing is nobody in SoCal has one in stock for me to check out and galleryofguns doesn't have the one I want in stock :(

defcon 11-25-2012 1:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_t0ny (Post 9787979)
This! Only thing is nobody in SoCal has one in stock for me to check out and galleryofguns doesn't have the one I want in stock :(

you can special order it and just wait or get it on gunbroker.com and pay the dealer transfer fee, shipping, tax and DROS

the_t0ny 11-26-2012 9:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by defcon (Post 9788035)
you can special order it and just wait or get it on gunbroker.com and pay the dealer transfer fee, shipping, tax and DROS

I want to hold it and compare in my hands to a savage mark 2 fv. Although I'm almost positive it's what I want, I want to pick it up in my hands just to be sure.

onegreatshot 11-26-2012 11:26 AM

Don't know where U R in the So. Cal. area? I bought both of my Savages 93 and markII at fowlers guns in Westminster, there is Fowlers in Orange. Bought mine in Oct. 2012

DeanC 11-26-2012 11:39 AM

I just put a Savage Mark II BV in jail last week. Reputation for accuracy plus the depth of the after market made the decision for me.

That said, there's an XT-22YR in the safe at home for the kids to shoot. It's had a couple hundred rounds put through it so far and I've not had any complaints.

TheDeej 11-26-2012 11:50 AM

^ I just picked up my new BV this past weekend, couldn't make it to the range yet though :(

DeanC 11-26-2012 4:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDeej (Post 9793545)
^ I just picked up my new BV this past weekend, couldn't make it to the range yet though :(

That's got to be worse than having it still in jail... :(

Are you doing anything to it? I've got DIP's bottom metal and 1 piece scope base on order.

janus408 11-26-2012 6:20 PM

I just picked up my MKII FV SR today, so you know which I decided on for myself.

Have the DIP bottom metal, boyds stock, bipod on hand. Still waiting on my scope, rings, and ammo though :(

TheDeej 11-26-2012 7:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanC (Post 9795331)
That's got to be worse than having it still in jail... :(

Are you doing anything to it? I've got DIP's bottom metal and 1 piece scope base on order.

I plan on a similar route but for now just gonna borrow a buddies cheap scope and plink, tis the season where I must put toys for others ahead of my own.

John3:16 11-26-2012 7:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDeej (Post 9796323)
I plan on a similar route but for now just gonna borrow a buddies cheap scope and plink, tis the season where I must put toys for others ahead of my own.

i hear ya brother

problemchild 11-28-2012 9:07 PM

cz452 and call it a day

shortyforty 11-28-2012 9:15 PM

MARLIN
 
Personally, I like the stock on the Marlin a little more than the Savage. The Savage does have that nice looking tactical bolt handle though..:)

Quickdraw Mcgraw 11-30-2012 2:41 PM

Nobody mentioned the Accutrigger...pretty big seller for me and thats why I went for the savage. Does Marlin have an adjustable trigger on any of there .22s??

Izzy43 11-30-2012 3:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quickdraw Mcgraw (Post 9823361)
Nobody mentioned the Accutrigger...pretty big seller for me and thats why I went for the savage. Does Marlin have an adjustable trigger on any of there .22s??

Yes, the XT-22 series has an adjustable trigger similiar to the Accutrigger.

Mesa Tactical 11-30-2012 3:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortyforty (Post 9811141)
Personally, I like the stock on the Marlin a little more than the Savage. The Savage does have that nice looking tactical bolt handle though..:)

Just picked up my Savage Mark II FVT. Holy crap, the stock almost makes the Saiga stocks look like high quality. Dismayed to learn Hogue doesn't make a stock for the Mark II. I definitely need to swap out this terrible Fisher Price stock.

Rest of the rifle looks great! Shooting it tomorrow, rain or shine.

John3:16 12-01-2012 8:30 PM

I WENT WITH A SAVAGE 93R17TR ITS AWESOME!!!!!!!

Quickdraw Mcgraw 12-03-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izzy43 (Post 9823568)
Yes, the XT-22 series has an adjustable trigger similiar to the Accutrigger.

Cool, thanks Izzy! Didn't know this, apparently the Marlin Mags are better made and eaiser to load...found this out after I bought my FV-SR. I'm not too bummed because I also liked the oversize bolt handle and the factory threaded barrel. Eventually I'll have to swap the stock to one of those fancy boyds, but for now I'm gonna run with it an throw a 2-8 weaver on it.



Everybody hates him but Nutnfancy has a pretty interesting review on these two guns. Worth watching if you have the time...


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 7:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.