Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   California handguns (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Brand new P226, less than 100 rounds, this happens, any thoughts? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=685581)

Sabian722 01-22-2013 4:14 PM

Brand new P226, less than 100 rounds, this happens, any thoughts?

Hi Calgunners,

Took my brand new Sig p226 .40, out to the range for the second time (picked it up less than a week ago), after about 30 rounds, the hammer won't drop, trigger won't reset, decocker goes up and down, but nothing happens. This, on top of the mags falling out after each round when the slide returns to battery. I already sent back one of the mags last week, but looks like I'm gonna have to send back the entire gun. This was purchased BNIB. My guess is that Sig will take care of me, as there is no reason that this should happen (not after a combined 80 rounds), and that I have used nothing but new Federal ammo.

I don't know what the problem is, but I've put up some photos, hopefully you guys can help me determine the problem. I hear Sig has excellent quality control so my guess is it was just a faulty piece inside. Going to call CS tomorrow morning and see what they say.

I've circled in red where I think the problem is.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70...ps7ce685e6.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70...psa394d2d9.jpg

DvlFig 01-22-2013 4:16 PM

Uh-oh, that sucks man. I'm sure Sig will hook you up!

Capybara 01-22-2013 4:20 PM

Sorry to hear that, hopefully they will take care of you. I hear a lot of good about Sigs but my personal experience has been two different Sigs at two different handgun classes and in both cases, the guns physically broke while we were shooting them. Granted they were both rental guns that I am sure abused and probably not maintained very well.

But I am not in a hurry to buy a Sig.

Good luck, let us know how they treat you.

Sabian722 01-22-2013 4:28 PM

I'll post updates after I give them a call. Thanks for the support.

Any ideas what the problem is or what could have caused it?

P5Ret 01-22-2013 4:28 PM

Hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like the trigger bar broke, or slipped way out of place. Should be an easy fix and they will take care of it. Sig customer service is good, just not fast.

Sabian722 01-22-2013 4:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P5Ret (Post 10287277)
Hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like the trigger bar broke, or slipped way out of place. Should be an easy fix and they will take care of it. Sig customer service is good, just not fast.

That is very unfortunate. Sounds like a quality control issue then, I have heard of problems with the extractor, but this is new to me, especially only after 80 rounds. I hope 'not fast' means a couple of weeks... not sure if I can stand not having this baby back for a few months...

Is there any way that would influence the magazine slipping out after return to battery? Or is that an issue with the mag release/magazine?

Thanks again.

Raider888 01-22-2013 4:47 PM

Wow! What is going on with Sig?
I have some Sigs from the early 90s', never had any trouble.
Is it just the P226?

Raider888 01-22-2013 4:48 PM

Wow! What is going on with Sig?
I have some Sigs from the early 90s', never had any trouble.
Is it just the P226?

GunHo 01-22-2013 4:58 PM

Sorry to hear. I'm sure you'll get a replacement

Oceanbob 01-22-2013 4:59 PM

Note to self.

badduggy 01-22-2013 5:03 PM

I know that my 228 does the dead trigger thing at times when I short stroke the trigger between shots without feeling for a proper reset.

P5Ret 01-22-2013 5:06 PM

I tore my P226 down to get a better look. It appears to be the back of the trigger bar that is engaged by the decocker.

It is hard to tell about the mag without a close inspection, but it is possible I suppose. Mags could be just a bit out of spec, Sig no longer makes their own mags. Turn around time has been a couple weeks, for items I have sent in. Although none have been warranty repair so it may be faster especially if you push them for a rush service.
My bet is that the part itself was faulty, bad heat treatment or something similar. Looks and checks fine, but failed under stress. It happens to everyone once and a while.

Sabian722 01-22-2013 5:15 PM

P5Ret,

thanks for the help and input. bummer that it's a faulty piece and that it had to happen to me, but hey, it happens.

Will update with whatever Sig CS tells me. I can live with 2-3 weeks, will also ask Sig to pay the shipping fees... hopefully they'll pay too, maybe an emailed UPS label?

CWM4A1 01-22-2013 5:17 PM

From the picture, it's the end of trigger bar. Because this piece is stamped, seems like the stamping cause too much stress and part of it cracked. I have experience two of these myself but the trigger bar usually does not jump that far forward, and trigger bar don't crack until way past 10K rounds.

Depending on where you are, all it needs is a new trigger bar (and perhaps a new trigger bar spring, if it's mangled). It should be a pretty easy fix. We have parts in store to fix this issue but since it's relatively new, I would call SIG to sent a call tag so you don't have pay the shipping charge.

Sabian722 01-22-2013 5:22 PM

That confirms it then, its the trigger bar!

Thanks again!

ExtremeX 01-22-2013 5:27 PM

That’s very unfortunate; I don’t like problems with new guns, kind of sours the relationship for me haha… also a good reminder to test the snot out of a pistol before dedicating it to anything important like carry or HD.

Ronin2 01-22-2013 5:37 PM

I have NEVER had a problem or malfunction with any of my German made SIG's, some of which I have owned for 20 yrs and put tens of thousands of rounds thru.

Heretodaygonetomorrow 01-22-2013 5:46 PM

Good Luck.

From personal experience, I can tell you that SIG does not stand behind their products. I have heard of several P226 pistols that suffered cracked frames (including one my Uncle owns that cracked with less than 200 rounds through it), AND SIG refused to replace them or repair them for free. They did offer to sell my Uncle a Reconditioned/Used P226 for $600, or dispose of his defective one for free without compensation of any sort. SIGs do not come with any Factory Warranty, as opposed to most Gun Manufacturers who include a Lifetime Warranty against factory defects.

My family purchased many SIG pistols (Uncles, cousins, brothers) before this happened, and has not purchased a single one since.

CWM4A1 01-22-2013 5:54 PM

Hmm, that's different from my experience as I had a P228 that crack around 5K round mark, SIG offer to replace me with either P226 9mm, P229 .40 or .357SIG as P228 is no longer imported. Wonder how old was your gun and how long ago did that happen? SIG used to offer 1yr mfg. warranty and switch to lifetime now.

Sabian722 01-22-2013 6:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtremeX (Post 10287831)
That’s very unfortunate; I don’t like problems with new guns, kind of sours the relationship for me haha… also a good reminder to test the snot out of a pistol before dedicating it to anything important like carry or HD.

Agreed. On the flip side though, I realize that this could have been anyone, so won't really hold it against SIG unless they refuse to fix the problem for free. Of course, one hopes that something like this never happens to their brand new SIG.

heretodaygonetomorrow, it comes with a limited lifetime warranty, so unless i do something to break warranty(ie. use reloads, alter the gun in some way not done by SIG) they should fix any problems that arise, such as this. we will see though.

mani226, the grips were on tight, I only did a field strip to clean it when I picked it up, didn't do a detail strip of it, so I can't really comment on the condition of the springs and parts before I took it for a test run.

Is it possible that the messed up trigger bar had something to do with the mag slipping out after the slide returns to battery? I've heard that the mag pushes the trigger bar up when it is inserted... any thoughts on this?

pc_load_letter 01-22-2013 8:33 PM

Be sure you call around 4am pacific time. Otherwise your wait time with Sig will be well over an hour.

When I had work done on my 226, they gave me a shipping label.

Good luck

JeremyS 01-22-2013 8:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabian722 (Post 10287160)
I've circled in red where I think the problem is.

Me too:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-x.../s370/P226.JPG

I kid, I kid (mostly) :p ...at least partially...

huckberry668 01-22-2013 8:59 PM

they sure don't make them like they used to...

Nor*Cal 01-22-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heretodaygonetomorrow (Post 10287987)
SIGs do not come with any Factory Warranty, as opposed to most Gun Manufacturers who include a Lifetime Warranty against factory defects.

Nonsense. All factory new SIG's come with a limited lifetime warranty.

I'm sure there is more to the story of why SIG would not replace your uncles frame.

OP, let us know how it goes with SIG.

SouperMan 01-22-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyS (Post 10290096)
Me too:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-x.../s370/P226.JPG

I kid, I kid (mostly) :p ...at least partially...

LOL

OP, keep us posted! Hope it comes back in tip-top shape!

Sabian722 01-22-2013 10:48 PM

Gonna call them first thing in the AM.

This upcoming experience with SIG customer service will either make or break my relationship with them... will post all updates here!

Plisk 01-22-2013 10:57 PM

If Sig proves unhelpful, post up your location so we can direct you to a factory certified Armorer if necessary.

Sabian722 01-22-2013 11:07 PM

I'm located in Huntington Beach, so depending on how it goes tomorrow, might have to take calgunners up on finding a local armorer.

robx007 01-22-2013 11:20 PM

I believe the CPO Sigs only have a 1 yr warranty - that might explain the compliant above...

barca101 01-23-2013 5:47 AM

I had a similar problem w/ my 229R w/ the long extractor. It was my fault. When I removed my E2 grips to clean and oil the internals when I mangled my trigger bar spring. I experienced the same problems you experienced. I couldn't believe that a $3.00 part was causing all that problems.

DvlFig 01-23-2013 9:51 AM

Any updates?

Sabian722 01-23-2013 10:14 AM

looks like I missed the non-busy window at SIG cs, I was on hold for a few minutes than they told me I had reached their voice mail box... will call again tomorrow, even earlier I guess... updates still to come!

Sabian722 01-24-2013 5:25 AM

Update:

Just got off the phone with SIG cs. A few things to note.

1. Called at 6am Pacific Time, no wait time to get to a rep. Worth the early wake-up.
2. They said ship it in, gun in case only, gunsmiths will look at it. Will take approximately 2-3 weeks.
3. They will email me a FedEx prepaid shipping label (No more UPS it seems like)
4. CS guy was gracious, looks like they will take care of the problem, at no cost to me (except emotional stress at having to mail my SIG away), as it is covered under their stated warranty.

Granted, I should never have had to call their cs, but given that I had to, they were pretty good about everything. As of now, looks like SIG's customer service is still up to par.

Will update again when it gets back to me. Hopefully they include a few hi-cap repair kits and a box of .40 :D

CWM4A1 01-24-2013 5:59 PM

Good to hear that SIG CS is taking care of things. Please make sure to take the package to the FedEx Hub instead of your neighborhood FedEx-Kinkos store, as they don't ship guns from those locations.

Good luck on the std cap repair kit... last time they did give me a couple more 10rd mags though.

Sabian722 01-24-2013 6:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWM4A1 (Post 10310289)
Good luck on the std cap repair kit... last time they did give me a couple more 10rd mags though.

Would be totally cool with some of those too, load the extras with some quality hd ammo!

fishguts 01-24-2013 7:11 PM

UPGADE

Just a thought... While it is at SIG, make sure you have them do an "action Enhancement" since you are getting a free ride. It will make your baby shoot oh so smooth. ;) = More rounds on target!!:62:

Sabian722 01-24-2013 7:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishguts (Post 10311052)
Just a thought... While it is at SIG, make sure you have them do an "action Enhancement" since you are getting a free ride. It will make your baby shoot oh so smooth. ;) = More rounds on target!!:62:

ooh... not a bad idea, might call up cs early tomorrow morning again to see if I can add that to the current RMA, would love to get those groups a little tighter!

fishguts 01-24-2013 7:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabian722 (Post 10311226)
ooh... not a bad idea, might call up cs early tomorrow morning again to see if I can add that to the current RMA, would love to get those groups a little tighter!

I did it when i sent my 229 enhance elite in. it already had a short rest trigger, but i wanted to smooth up the first round DA pull. Its like butter now, and SA is simply perfection. Some will say a grey guns job is better but for what I do I'm pleased with the factory job.

Sabian722 01-24-2013 7:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishguts (Post 10311371)
I did it when i sent my 229 enhance elite in. it already had a short rest trigger, but i wanted to smooth up the first round DA pull. Its like butter now, and SA is simply perfection. Some will say a grey guns job is better but for what I do I'm pleased with the factory job.

How do you like the short reset trigger? I've been thinking about getting that done too...

fishguts 01-24-2013 8:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabian722 (Post 10311429)
How do you like the short reset trigger? I've been thinking about getting that done too...

It is very nice for fast follow up shots and I enjoy it. With that being said I have SIG's without a SRT and I don't feel it is a "gotta have" Item. I feel SIG has a good trigger out of the box and with a little work is an outstanding trigger. I guess it really depends on your intended use of your 226. If you have issues with the standard reset trigger by all means have it changed since its already in the shop. Some people will also tell you that they don"t like the SRT. If your unsure about how you might like the feel Stop in a gun store that has a few sigs and try one out. Ask the sales person first if you can dry fire the weapon, after the hammer falls hold the trigger back and don't release it. Rack the slide to mimic the shot. Slowly release the trigger until you hear and feel a click. It is now ready to fire again. This is the distance for reset. (I didn't know if you knew this or not). If you local shop doesn't have one to try I can tell you its about an 1/8 inch rest on my SRT. Another option is to hit up some cal gunners in your area and see if they will let you try theirs.

Cheers.

Sabian722 01-24-2013 8:48 PM

Great!

Thanks for the input, really appreciate it. Will have to check it out then, won't know until I fire it. The current trigger feels great, but I may like the srt much more.

Will keep y'all updated on this experience with SIG.

Sunday 01-25-2013 2:26 PM

Sigs aren't the guns they used to be thanks to the ceo that ruined Kimbers reputation but to make you feel better ,,I was at the range last year and a Guy had a brand new Glock not work after about 3 shots. I had to send a S@W revolver for warranty work ,,Stuff happens. There is a warranty. It is a pisser though.

9mmlove 01-25-2013 2:37 PM

The Austrians have what you need;)

Sakiri 01-25-2013 4:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunday (Post 10319211)
Sigs aren't the guns they used to be thanks to the ceo that ruined Kimbers reputation but to make you feel better ,,I was at the range last year and a Guy had a brand new Glock not work after about 3 shots. I had to send a S@W revolver for warranty work ,,Stuff happens. There is a warranty. It is a pisser though.

Did he not clean it first and it malfunctioned, or something actually broke?

Sabian722 01-25-2013 8:42 PM

jeez... 3 rounds...

at least my sig didn't come with a LCI or mag safety... whew! Dodged a proverbial bullet, so to speak.

RuggedJay 01-25-2013 11:46 PM

Shoulda bought a Glock.

Dhena81 01-26-2013 7:31 AM

OP the short reset trigger is awesome you should get it. I made this picture when I was upset with Sig.

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/...ps191b5ace.jpg

Sabian722 01-26-2013 11:01 AM

^ Hilarious.

Excellent handwriting might I add ;)

gsparesa 01-26-2013 4:34 PM

This thread just gives me the anti-warm fuzzies! I am about to pick-up my new Sig 226 in three days and I start reading ***** like this. What happened to all the Sig fan boys! Does anyone have love for their recent Sig 226 purchase?

Sabian722 01-26-2013 5:12 PM

don't get me wrong, but I love my SIG. It is a thing of pure beauty. I am sure that this particular one was just a fluke and that when it comes back to me, this shouldn't happen again. I purchased a SIG because of the glowing reviews people were giving it... their customer service has been nothing short of spectacular. Any thread like this will bring out the naysayers, replace p226 in the title with Glock and you'll have all the Glock haters rolling out in droves, im sure.

update us with a range report when you pick yours up, I'm sure you will love it.