Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Gunsmithing & How To (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   L1A1 build (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=654935)

kcstott 12-10-2012 5:20 PM

L1A1 build

Just took in a Primo L1A1 kit on trade for labor. Now I need an inch receiver. A good inch receiver. I've seen DS arms and that may be the route I will have to go. Coonan seems like good stuff and less expensive. Imbels are out of the question and the rest is supposed to be junk or near junk.

I don't mind converting a Metric receiver to inch I'd just rather not do it.
I don't plan on having this thing together for at least six month to a year with all the 922R parts I have to source.
I'm going to put IWD furniture on it in english walnut and a featureless build. That would take care of five of the seven compliance part I need to source. So two more parts to go.

Any suggestions on where to find a good receiver and a shop that will DROS one local to the San diego county?
the .308 bug has bit me pretty bad and if I could I'd have this thing together tonight.

jamesob 12-10-2012 5:47 PM

I built mine on a imbel and they are worth the money.

mrlonewolf 12-10-2012 5:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesob (Post 9892000)
I built mine on a imbel and they are worth the money.

^^^ Yup.

kcstott 12-10-2012 6:22 PM

From what I can tell they are near impossible to get. or at least anywhere near a reasonable price. I just cant see spend that kind of money. DS Arms is not exactly cheep. I guess the AK's and AR's spoiled me on price. I think I'm going with a coonan.

Bolillo 12-10-2012 6:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcstott (Post 9892255)
From what I can tell they are near impossible to get. or at least anywhere near a reasonable price. I just cant see spend that kind of money. DS Arms is not exactly cheep. I guess the AK's and AR's spoiled me on price. I think I'm going with a coonan.

Coonan had, and maybe still does, long delivery times. No problem if you're not in a hurry.

If you want one sooner, there's a seller on GB named "Parsi" that has NOS Imbels (metric). Going to cost you 4 bills + to win one of his auctions.

kcstott 12-10-2012 9:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolillo (Post 9892407)
Coonan had, and maybe still does, long delivery times. No problem if you're not in a hurry.

If you want one sooner, there's a seller on GB named "Parsi" that has NOS Imbels (metric). Going to cost you 4 bills + to win one of his auctions.

Found him thanks

-hanko 12-11-2012 10:21 AM

I'd suggest getting a metric receiver and not convert it to inch.

Metric mags are cheaper.

Very few people will be able to tell the difference between the Imbel and an inch receiver anyway.

The Brit barrel will need a breeching washer to headspace correctly, but that's about it.

If you want the Inch receiver, I'd haunt the FAL Files and be ready to pounce hard when you find one.

hth

-hanko

thedrickel 12-11-2012 10:25 AM

I would order an inch receiver from DSA for 350. The last 2 I got a couple months ago looked exactly like the ones I got 2-3 years ago, not like the new production metrics with different cuts and fonts and whatnot.

adamsreeftank 12-11-2012 11:44 AM

I remember seeing a pair of new Imbel receivers for $300 in the for sale section ages ago. I still kick myself for not grabbing them. Those were the days.

kcstott 12-11-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedrickel (Post 9895977)
I would order an inch receiver from DSA for 350. The last 2 I got a couple months ago looked exactly like the ones I got 2-3 years ago, not like the new production metrics with different cuts and fonts and whatnot.

Where did you find one for $350??
I see a list price of $475

kcstott 12-11-2012 12:18 PM

Also the only area that I was going to convert to inch was the charging handle slot and the dust cover. I was going to leave the mag well alone.

falbuff 12-11-2012 12:20 PM

Falfiles members get a discount with dsa.

kcstott 12-11-2012 12:21 PM

That's a hell of a discount. Dsa it is then.

jamesob 12-11-2012 3:02 PM

You can buy a imbel inch receiver, I know I did.
Quote:

Originally Posted by -hanko (Post 9895952)
I'd suggest getting a metric receiver and not convert it to inch.

Metric mags are cheaper.

Very few people will be able to tell the difference between the Imbel and an inch receiver anyway.

The Brit barrel will need a breeching washer to headspace correctly, but that's about it.

If you want the Inch receiver, I'd haunt the FAL Files and be ready to pounce hard when you find one.

hth

-hanko

kcstott 12-11-2012 3:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesob (Post 9897889)
You can buy a imbel inch receiver, I know I did.

Yeah but two things

One they are over priced, I see no collector value in an FAL, This rifle is going to be a shooter not a safe queen.

the other thing is if I get a US made receiver it's one less 922R part i need to worry about and with the high cost of compliance parts that not a bad thing.

If I can get a DS Arms for $350 I'm good with that. I just can't see spending $600 on a receiver at that rate it's not worth building to me.

I'm beginning to think all this Gun Legislation is nothing more then a way to drive up the cost of parts and in turn increase the sales tax taken in on every sale.

Ford8N 12-11-2012 4:10 PM

I would get the DSA. I tried a Coonan and it was as much work to get running as an Entreprise. I'm collecting parts to make an inch FAL too. Or maybe a franken FAL....

kcstott 12-11-2012 4:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford8N (Post 9898489)
I would get the DSA. I tried a Coonan and it was as much work to get running as an Entreprise. I'm collecting parts to make an inch FAL too. Or maybe a franken FAL....

Stay tuned for spare part on the WTS board. I've got a bunch of extra stuff and I'm deciding what I want to keep.

-hanko 12-11-2012 7:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcstott (Post 9898523)
Stay tuned for spare part on the WTS board. I've got a bunch of extra stuff and I'm deciding what I want to keep.

I'll loke forward to that...great to have tons of extra money just before Christmas:rolleyes::eek:

-hanko

kcstott 12-11-2012 7:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -hanko (Post 9900233)
I'll loke forward to that...great to have tons of extra money just before Christmas:rolleyes::eek:

-hanko

Well maybe... I need to get my daughter some stuff but other then that I'm done christmas shopping.

I'm going to wait till i get the receiver first then decide on how to build it.