Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Jobs Wanted Jobs Offered (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Machinist instruction needed - Roseville (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=829738)

subijitsu 09-27-2013 6:25 PM

Machinist instruction needed - Roseville
 
Hi guys,

I picked up a small mill for a swinging deal and I want to learn how to use it. I am looking for a machinist that can teach me how, either at my place or at yours, in the evenings or on a weekend. My goal is to be able to use the mill for small gunsmithing and tool making projects.

I have read some machining books so I am not completely ignorant, but books can only go so far. Id rather pay a fellow calgunner to show me the right way instead of learning by doing, which can get expensive with all the broken tools. I have tried looking at the local junior colleges but they all seem to have eliminated their machining courses.

I can pay you outright, either in cash or in beer & pizza :p , or since I am an ASE certified mechanic I can also trade auto repair work as well.

If anyone is interested, knows someone, or has any suggestions let me know. Thanks!

VictorFranko 09-27-2013 6:38 PM

I wish you were closer, would love to help you out. Besides a career in machining, I was a machine shop training instructor and leadman at Lockheed many moons ago. I love teaching and seeing that light come on in the students eyes.
Best of luck with your new hobby, remember, safety first, always.

Ag_Surfer 09-27-2013 6:55 PM

Sound like fun But a long way for me. I like to pass on some for my 35 years of prototyping experience. Any trade schools near by?

subijitsu 09-27-2013 6:57 PM

Thanks. I have been wanting to get into some machining for a while but without formal instruction it is tough. I asked a local machine shop that I had make me some parts about an apprenticeship and he said "If you like to do it, dont do it for a living cuz you will end up hating it". Cant say I agree with him but I kind of see his point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VictorFranko (Post 12416573)
I wish you were closer, would love to help you out. Besides a career in machining, I was a machine shop training instructor and leadman at Lockheed many moons ago. I love teaching and seeing that light come on in the students eyes.
Best of luck with your new hobby, remember, safety first, always.


subijitsu 09-27-2013 7:04 PM

Unfortunately none that I have found offer machining. On the other hand, if I wanted to be a computer network type guy there are probably 4 trade schools for that.

I wish the junior colleges still offered the courses. When I was taking welding courses I remember seeing the projects of the machining course students. Really cool stuff like crankshafts and pistons made perfectly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ag_Surfer (Post 12416674)
Sound like fun But a long way for me. I like to pass on some for my 35 years of prototyping experience. Any trade schools near by?


subijitsu 09-28-2013 5:41 PM

Ok, ok. If beer and pizza doesnt do it how about Bourbon and BBQ Tri Tip? And I drink good Bourbon too.

subijitsu 11-24-2013 12:02 PM

Still havent found someone to learn me, but I have definitely come up with more projects I wanna do. :)

Ive done a little experimenting with it and tried some stuff but the more I try to do, the more questions I come up with.

Don@Tahoe 11-24-2013 9:02 PM

Check this guy out on youtube, he's a retired shop teacher mrpete222 lots of good info, I'm self taught way before the internet, your learning curve will be much steeper than mine was.

subijitsu 11-26-2013 7:55 PM

Thanks, Ill check him out.

I have watched so many youtube videos my eyes have gone crossed. It has helped me figure out how to use the machine and do some basic tasks. Lots of great info but I seem to be running into problems with little things like clamping small and odd shaped parts or getting certain cuts to work right. Id like someone to check out my setup and see how I can improve and what other tooling I may need.

I know, Im kind of a needy f**ker.

NickC 11-28-2013 5:23 PM

For the small and awkward parts, and it'd be good practice too... Make yourself sets of soft jaws(alum.) for your vise, and you can cut the profile of the part in them to get the most surface area contact. Make sure to make them flippable so each set you get a top and bottom.

subijitsu 11-30-2013 6:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickC (Post 12867309)
For the small and awkward parts, and it'd be good practice too... Make yourself sets of soft jaws(alum.) for your vise, and you can cut the profile of the part in them to get the most surface area contact. Make sure to make them flippable so each set you get a top and bottom.

Hmm, interesting. That is a nice trick that I may use on a project I have in mind. I will be dealing with a few small parts.

The more machinists I talk to the more I am finding that there a ton of little tricks and ways to get the job done creatively. I like it, I just gotta learn the machinist perspective and state of mind.

hi5 11-30-2013 7:13 PM

I used to be a toolmaker, now I have a small auto transport business in Socal its taken me to Roseville (Hertz car sales next to a pizza place) 3 or 4 times in 8 years. If I get a load going that way in the near future, I'll send you a pm.

subijitsu 11-30-2013 7:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hi5 (Post 12880439)
I used to be a toolmaker, now I have a small auto transport business in Socal its taken me to Roseville (Hertz car sales next to a pizza place) 3 or 4 times in 8 years. If I get a load going that way in the near future, I'll send you a pm.

Cool, I know exactly where the Hertz place is (and of course the pizza place) I live fairly close to there. Thanks!

NickC 12-02-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subijitsu (Post 12880170)
Hmm, interesting. That is a nice trick that I may use on a project I have in mind. I will be dealing with a few small parts.

The more machinists I talk to the more I am finding that there a ton of little tricks and ways to get the job done creatively. I like it, I just gotta learn the machinist perspective and state of mind.

Also depending on type of part/work your doing, you can use a strong double sided tape. Something like this http://www.mcmaster.com/#75935a16/=pmxm5j I also use some scotch brand I get locally, it might be this one here though, http://www.mcmaster.com/#fastening-t...-sides/=pmxnxl .

NickC 12-02-2013 11:57 AM

That second link didn't work out but the p/n is 76405A13.

cybercricket 12-29-2013 8:11 AM

re machinist
 
call me at check inbox 4 pm carlos cnc and conventional machinist 8 years exp
always happy to help.:oji:


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.