Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   FFL's Forum (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Looking for FFL for off-roster interstate intrafamilial transfer (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=698592)

shig 02-07-2013 2:06 PM

Looking for FFL for off-roster interstate intrafamilial transfer

Hi all,

I'm looking for an FFL dealer in the Burbank area (if possible, but anywhere in socal is fine) for an off-roster interstate intrafamilial transfer. (father to son, Alabama to California, glock 21 gen4). This is a gift and my father can write a gift letter to go along with the paperwork.

I've called 4 different shops and heard 4 different responses ranging from "yes no problem" to "no off roster transfers period" to "don't use an FFL just fill out the form on the DOJ website". I've also called and emailed the CA-DOJ but haven't heard back yet. The shop that said they'd do it no problem is down near san diego so quite a drive to go there twice and after talking to three other shops that said no, i'm worried it won't be legal, or done incorrectly, etc.

After reading as much info as i could find, my understanding is that I'd have to pay DROS, sales tax (maybe not with a gift?) and whatever fee the FFL charges but that it was legal. I'm not 100% clear on if my father should send it himself or through his FFL but I do know now that it has to go through an FFL here in CA.

Any help, clarification and pointers to an FFL in my area that is willing to do this would be awesome!

thanks!

autoduel 02-15-2013 8:02 AM

check out this thread. FFL's volunteering for the service:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=245735

shig 02-15-2013 8:58 AM

thanks!!

WhiskeyHotel2 02-15-2013 9:30 AM

You can definitely do this...just make sure the mags that come with it are the 10 round ones and not the 13.

TexanNCali 02-26-2013 9:47 PM

Checkout Gunrunners Tactical for your intrafamily transfer. They're in Duarte about a 30 minute drive east of Burbank. Picking up an off roster gift this Saturday!

kemasa 02-27-2013 12:35 PM

To the West, EBR, Fort Courage and I can do it, about 30 minutes or so.

kalimus 05-07-2013 6:59 AM

Instead of making a new thread, resurrecting this one.

Looking for an FFL in San Diego that is willing to do this. I've visited a couple and they seemed... uncomfortable with the question. Any suggestions?

shig 05-07-2013 8:37 AM

That's the same problem i had in Burbank. I ended up using Mike at OC Armory. totally awesome experience. yeah i had to drive down twice but not his fault. he was super friendly, easy to deal with, etc. would use him again 100%.

kemasa 05-07-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalimus (Post 11283195)
Instead of making a new thread, resurrecting this one.

Looking for an FFL in San Diego that is willing to do this. I've visited a couple and they seemed... uncomfortable with the question. Any suggestions?

See if they will call the CA DOJ. Unless something changed, they will tell the FFL how to do it.

geoliquid 05-08-2013 2:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shig (Post 11283940)
That's the same problem i had in Burbank. I ended up using Mike at OC Armory. totally awesome experience. yeah i had to drive down twice but not his fault. he was super friendly, easy to deal with, etc. would use him again 100%.

I had the same problem. Couldn't find an FFL willing to do this in the Burbank or Pasadena Area. All the FFLs I spoke to said it wasn't possible. I've also learned that FFLs don't like being asked to call the DOJ to verify it's legal no matter how nicely you ask. The ones I've talked to seem to take that personal :facepalm:. I ended up using PD Gun supply in San Fernando. I pick up my off roster gift this weekend :D

GSXracer 07-06-2013 11:06 AM

I need help with intrafamilial transfer of an off roster handgun from my father in Florida to me in the Riverside area. I've called several FFL's and most said flat out 'no way'.

Those willing to try and help either don't know how or scare me. I gave up when the last FFL told me to just get my hands on it somehow (mail) and just do the DOJ form and pay $19. :eek:

Found some that want to help, but don't want to risk doing it wrong. They refuse to call and rely on the DOJ claiming the DOJ answers are worse than calling the IRS, being very inconsistent and very unreliable. :facepalm:

I was unable to find any references to any local FFL that do this service, so I'm asking if anyone here knows of a FFL near the Riverside/IE area that does out of state intrafamilial transfers of an off roster handgun? Can any FFL do it? (may be able to source out local C&R FLLs if they are allowed to)

I'd like to avoid having to drive out to Ventura or San Diego multiple times to get this done, but that may be the price I have to pay.

I appreciate any help, feel free to PM me.

kemasa 07-06-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSXracer (Post 11753394)
I need help with intrafamilial transfer of an off roster handgun from my father in Florida to me in the Riverside area. I've called several FFL's and most said flat out 'no way'.

I don't know of any FFLs that way, although I know of one in Torrance, which might be closer than some other options. There is one FFL on the Net-FFL list in Santa Ana, but I am not sure if he knows how to do it.

Quote:

Those willing to try and help either don't know how or scare me. I gave up when the last FFL told me to just get my hands on it somehow (mail) and just do the DOJ form and pay $19. :eek:
Nothing like violating Federal by doing a transfer between residents of different states :-(.

They can call the CA DOJ and ask. The process I think is documented on this forum. Basically it is submit it as exempt with a note saying, I think, SB15 exempt or the comment could be "intrafamilial transfer" to be more accurate and safe since I am not 100% sure of the SB15.

Quote:

Found some that want to help, but don't want to risk doing it wrong. They refuse to call and rely on the DOJ claiming the DOJ answers are worse than calling the IRS, being very inconsistent and very unreliable. :facepalm:
While that is true, if the answer seems reasonable, then you can trust them :-). It does not hurt to call and ask. It does not mean that you have to follow their advice.

Quote:

I was unable to find any references to any local FFL that do this service, so I'm asking if anyone here knows of a FFL near the Riverside/IE area that does out of state intrafamilial transfers of an off roster handgun? Can any FFL do it? (may be able to source out local C&R FLLs if they are allowed to)
C&R FFLs are not dealers so they can not do sales.

There is a thread on this subject which had FFLs saying that they would do it. You might look for that thread and see if there are any closer to you.

mnmngnj 08-05-2013 7:21 AM

Im in need of an FFL who can do an interstate intrafamilial transfer in San Diego County. My mother is traveling here from Florida and she is bringing an off roster 1911 that she is gifting to me. It's crossing state lines so we need an FFL who understands this transfer process in order to do the transfer legally. I would prefer south county but I will travel if necessary (north county). If you are an FFL who can do this or know one who can, please PM me ASAP. I would like to schedule an appointment for the 9th or 10th. Thanks everyone.