Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Announcements and Suggestions (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Private sales reboot? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1328740)

Quickdraw559 04-26-2017 10:01 PM

Private sales reboot?

I know this has been discussed a thousand and a half times, but can we figure out a system to help filter the private sales threads?

Between new users, handgun roster, and people just not following the format, the sales section is beginning to look like Craigslist.

It could be as simple as before the site allows you to post a thread in the sales section, you have to select your county or area code and whether or not you will ship. This will be displayed in the title.

I don't know what this would entail, but I imagine it would require the hiring of a tech guy to write some new code or something. We could set up a donation account for this and get it done without taking from the boss' pocket.

SkyHawk 04-26-2017 10:18 PM

Once you start modifying the code you make future upgrades or even patches to the vBulletin software more complicated. Can of worms. Pandoras box.

traveler1952 04-27-2017 6:38 AM

Nice thought but all we really need is people who can fallow directions.
Strange some can't and they own guns.

Bobby Ricigliano 04-27-2017 7:29 AM

That happens everywhere. Very first post is a want to sell ad that ignores all rules and bumps to the top 4-5 times in a single day. It is literally only 1 step above the random bot spam.

Mr.Caketown 04-28-2017 6:51 PM

we really just need two sections

First would split it between Norcal and Socal , I hate seeing a good deal in Fresno lol

Second would be price gouged vs non price gouged within North or South section

-hanko 04-29-2017 4:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Caketown (Post 20029055)
we really just need two sections

First would split it between Norcal and Socal , I hate seeing a good deal in Fresno lol

Second would be price gouged vs non price gouged within North or South section

2 questions...

1. Are you looking for an appointment to gouging monitor, or are you assuming that position yourself.

2. Can you remember the old saying about opinions? ;)

Brick Top 04-30-2017 8:47 AM

I think he means on-roster/off-roster, latter being invariably gouged.

-hanko 04-30-2017 9:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brick Top (Post 20034908)
I think he means on-roster/off-roster, latter being invariably gouged.

Understood.

I'd say that if it's off-roster, it's scarcer than on-roster. Scarcity with high demand tends to raise the price.

As I posted above, if a buyer is happy with price and the weapon, who the hell should judge whether he was gouged willingly...I'd say if he weren't willing to pay the price, he would have passed on the deal. His choice, not yours or mine or anyone on the gouging committee. Easier to myob, imo. :)

Blade Gunner 04-30-2017 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -hanko (Post 20035088)
Understood.

I'd say that if it's off-roster, it's scarcer than on-roster. Scarcity with high demand tends to raise the price.

As I posted above, if a buyer is happy with price and the weapon, who the hell should judge whether he was gouged willingly...I'd say if he weren't willing to pay the price, he would have passed on the deal. His choice, not yours or mine or anyone on the gouging committee. Easier to myob, imo. :)

^^^^^This^^^^^^^
Stop *****ing about the off roster prices and fund the CGF to legally get rid of it.

hermosabeach 04-30-2017 11:04 AM

People posting can't even follow the template...

Remove this before posting

Thread title - item / location / shipping

wpage 04-30-2017 11:19 AM

Private sale reboot yes...

Square peg in round hole, maybe.

freonr22 04-30-2017 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -hanko (Post 20032706)
2 questions...

1. Are you looking for an appointment to gouging monitor, or are you assuming that position yourself.

2. Can you remember the old saying about opinions? ;)

Many car for sales sites state whether the vehicle is above or below market conditions. .

-hanko 05-06-2017 7:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freonr22 (Post 20035556)
Many car for sales sites state whether the vehicle is above or below market conditions. .

There's far more public knowledge as to car sales, not to mention the selling price of houses, than on firearms sales. E.g., take a look at how many completed sales don't show final price.

Part of your due diligence is to check other places where guns are sold for history on a particular model or something very similar to it. I'd opine that if you're too new or young to understand due diligence, that you continue to check prices until you're confident you're getting a great or decent or pure crap deal on a gun. If that's too difficult for you, I'd suggest you simply ask Dad or another adult. ;)

Inquirer 05-10-2017 7:13 PM

Quote:

This. It's fairly easy to differentiate between long guns and pistols, but geographically it's pretty impossible to sort out relevant deals. I'd imagine people are generally people are browsing with something specific in mind, but typing in "Glock 19," for example, will yield a ton of results you can't use.

Quote:

Second would be price gouged vs non price gouged

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... WTS Ruger 10-22 custom rattlecan paintjob $900 isn't going away any time soon.

MrOrange 05-13-2017 10:18 AM

Seems to me that it's a simple solution that we just need the manpower to implement: Enforce the existing rules. Easy for me to say from the sidelines, of course. :o

A while back I tried to contact several mods with a list I had compiled of folks with multiple listings (dozens of them per marketplace), and never even got a response; yes, no, go to hell, whatever. (That was when my username was in gold, too.) I picked that particular problem because it's one that demonstrably hurts legit posters.

And again, I fully understand that I'm standing in the crowd yelling for somebody else to do something.

GunnerMichael 05-13-2017 2:29 PM

Location, location, location.

I agree that the sales section is not very well thought out and needs improvement. I have been searching for used guns on this forum for years and always end up going to the gun shop since searching is so difficult. meaning I search for a few weeks, can't find any guns I am interested in (even when I have many guns in mind that I would purchase). I have never bought a gun off here.

I think an easy solution to part of the problem is to add sub-forums by geographic location.

Example:

- Market place>Private firearms for sale-Handguns>San Francisco Bay area/Napa
- Market place>Private firearms for sale-Handguns>Sacramento Area
- Market place>Private firearms for sale-Handguns>LA/San Diego
- Market place>Private firearms for sale-Handguns>Santa Cruze/SLO
- Market place>Private firearms for sale-Handguns>Outside Cali
etc.

The areas could even been more broad, however, only cutting it into NCal and SCal would not be enough. Maybe every 100-200 square miles or something.

At least add these sub-forums in the private Long gun, handgun, accessories and ammo section. This would not require changing any coding. I'm not saying it won't be more work but even Craigslist has a way of sorting by region. You can even search by city in most cases.

-hanko 05-18-2017 8:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunnerMichael (Post 20092476)
I agree that the sales section is not very well thought out and needs improvement. I have been searching for used guns on this forum for years and always end up going to the gun shop since searching is so difficult. meaning I search for a few weeks, can't find any guns I am interested in (even when I have many guns in mind that I would purchase). I have never bought a gun off here.

I think an easy solution to part of the problem is to add sub-forums by geographic location.

Example:

- Market place>Private firearms for sale-Handguns>San Francisco Bay area/Napa
- Market place>Private firearms for sale-Handguns>Sacramento Area
- Market place>Private firearms for sale-Handguns>LA/San Diego
- Market place>Private firearms for sale-Handguns>Santa Cruze/SLO
- Market place>Private firearms for sale-Handguns>Outside Cali
etc.

The areas could even been more broad, however, only cutting it into NCal and SCal would not be enough. Maybe every 100-200 square miles or something.

At least add these sub-forums in the private Long gun, handgun, accessories and ammo section. This would not require changing any coding. I'm not saying it won't be more work but even Craigslist has a way of sorting by region. You can even search by city in most cases.

I guess I don't understand the need for geographical division, other than Calguns sellers have issues with shipping guns...unlike any other nationwide forum this one seems to be just a lot more localized.

That results in significantly limiting your marketplace, which in turn makes you wait a lot longer for what you're selling or buying.

Those who do not follow the rules need to have their posts deleted by a moderator, if in fact the FS is actually being moderated. I hate to keep writing the same thing over and over, but spend a half an hour on the ar15.com equipment exchange and you'll see what I mean