Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   80% lower legal questions (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=680567)

Rusty_Rebar 01-16-2013 1:00 PM

80% lower legal questions

I have been looking into 80% lowers of late but had a few questions. Are there any links to what I need to keep in mind from a legality standpoint?

Right now, I can build a CA Legal AR from an 80% lower, no registration or anything required.

If I were to build it w/o being CA Legal (IE Detachable mag, and a pistol grip, or adjustable stock), would that be considered an AW? I think yes, but not really clear on this.

I know there are some new proposed laws that may change this in 2014 (if they pass), but I am just curious about current laws.

Any links to info about this, or thoughts would be appreciated.

Please forgive me if this is the wrong topic for this. Seems more like a legal question than a gunsmith question.

gun toting monkeyboy 01-16-2013 1:09 PM

Yes, if you build your home made-lower into an illegal configuration for California, it would still be illegal here in California. The 80% route is only useful if you want to build a pistol, or want a lower that isn't on any potential lists. You still have to follow all of the laws regarding firearms once you turn it into an actual firearm by finishing it.

-Mb

bigdawg86 01-16-2013 1:11 PM

Not to be mean, but this comes up several times a week... did you try searching?

AR pistol/rifle can have evil features if it has a BB and 10rd magazine.
Must technically start as "Single Shot" and then "Converted" to accept a 10 round mag (If doing a pistol build).
You have to do the work yourself.
It is legal.
You don't have to have roll marks or register it.
If you do sell it as a complete lower it only then needs markings and a SN.

EDIT: Make sure your lower is completed before buying a shorty upper. The chance of getting in trouble for constructive possession of an SBR is low, buy why risk it?

:xeno:

Rusty_Rebar 01-16-2013 1:25 PM

Thanks guys. Sorry, I did look around a little, but did not see anything, and was not really thinking about AR pistols.

I appreciate the input.

Uxi 01-16-2013 1:27 PM

Let me know if you find any in stock.

Bouy 01-16-2013 8:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdawg86 (Post 10228276)

EDIT: Make sure your lower is completed before buying a shorty upper. The chance of getting in trouble for constructive possession of an SBR is low, buy why risk it?

:xeno:

What is this about? You can have a 14.5" barreled rifle if used with a self manufactured 80% lower?

kritterkiller 01-16-2013 9:40 PM

You don't have to reg a 80% lower?

smogcity 01-16-2013 9:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bouy (Post 10229962)
What is this about? You can have a 14.5" barreled rifle if used with a self manufactured 80% lower?

No, usuing your 80% lower you can make an AR pistol with less than 16" barrel. Not an Short barrel rifle.

MattyB 01-16-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kritterkiller (Post 10230281)

If its 80% its a chunk of metal.

Since a search would be helpful for you and others to learn the basics Ill ask you questions and you can search and find the answers.. Like an open book test in school.

Does a gun require registration if it hasnt been sold complete or transferred?

The question should answer yours.

gun toting monkeyboy 01-16-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kritterkiller (Post 10230281)

No. There is no requirement to register any firearms you make. If you want to sell them down the road, you do need to have them marked with the correct verbage required by the ATF, such as where it was made, who made it (make up a company name if you want), model, caliber and serial number. But if you don't plan on selling it, there in't even a requirement to mark it with anything. I have one that is completely blank, without markings even on the selector.

-Mb

underthegun13 02-04-2013 11:29 AM

Original thread is archived and not find-able by using the calguns search feature. Google worked better. Original thread on AR pistol build is here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=115364

^Read it. Know it. Love it. Shoot it.