Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Yolo (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=352822)

RyanWal26 01-31-2012 12:37 PM

The Constitution is my concealed carry permit. I know conceal carry is "against the law" but so is selling Marijuana and the state doesn't seam to mind to turn a blind eye against that. The civil rights movement would have been nothing if lawyers just filed lawsuits against the state. During Christmas dinner my grandmother said she didn't feel safe and wanted to get a gun to keep in her purse so she walked into the gun store and the guy working told her that was against the law and basically kicked her out. It is VERY dangerous when a civilian is more afraid of the state punishing them for breaking a law, rather than their personal safety.

Shellshocker66 01-31-2012 1:03 PM

Per the California DoJ, Yolo is not issuing 300 permits per year. As of September it was 125 with 11 pending for the year of 2011. That is an increase of 43 from the previous year at the same time.

Go to http://calgunsfoundation.org/news-bl...tatistics.html and download the data obtained from DoJ. Page 4 has all the counties listed and the approved application numbers.

While it may be increasing it is no where near 300 a year which might give some hope for our small county. I wish anyone seeking a permit in Yolo good luck with the endeavor and hopefully someday we will be a shall issue county.

I'm happy to say I won't be here when that happens as I'm on the short timers express out of this state... Can't want for March!

wentbig 02-10-2012 7:42 PM

Your right Shellshocker66. but we have had over a 50% increase in issuance.
Not the best but moving in the right direction.

IXIVI 02-08-2013 5:17 PM

Yolo update here.

A recent amendment to the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act, now makes me a "qualified officer" and exempts me from state/county law that would otherwise prevent me from carrying a concealed weapon.

I applied with Yolo County Sheriff for CCW about 3 weeks ago, only listing my qualification and exempt status as just cause, and was denied.

I guess it was a little bit of wishful thinking, that if I'm authorized to carry regardless of the local Sheriff, why wouldn't he just take my money and issue me?

In the end, Yolo county still seems a bit silly, and definitely a little dismissive of just about everything that I discussed with them on the issue. Right down to the girls at the front counter.

Oh well. Good Luck with Yolo!

hoffmang 02-10-2013 10:12 AM

Richards v. Prieto/Yolo County should have an opinion out in the next 90 days or so.

-Gene

IXIVI 02-10-2013 12:37 PM

Gene, my denial letter said I can re-apply no sooner that one year from denial. Is that legal?

Gray Peterson 02-10-2013 1:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IXIVI (Post 10488026)
Gene, my denial letter said I can re-apply no sooner that one year from denial. Is that legal?

No, it's not, on separate state law grounds. However, Richards would blast a hole through that policy, and if they attempt to enforce that after a positive ruling on our side...well...I'd hate to be county counsel on that...

hoffmang 02-10-2013 2:48 PM

Quote:

You can ignore that utterly for both state (and once we win in Kachalsky/Richards) federal reasons.

-Gene

CitaDeL 02-10-2013 3:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gray Peterson (Post 10488454)
No, it's not, on separate state law grounds. However, Richards would blast a hole through that policy, and if they attempt to enforce that after a positive ruling on our side...well...I'd hate to be county counsel on that...

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoffmang (Post 10489026)
You can ignore that utterly for both state (and once we win in Kachalsky/Richards) federal reasons.

-Gene

Dont you just love it when issuing agencies memorialize illegal polices on their official letterhead?

hoffmang 02-10-2013 6:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CitaDeL (Post 10489340)
Dont you just love it when issuing agencies memorialize illegal polices on their official letterhead?

But they're heads of law enforcement and therefor all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others...

-Gene

Brewtality 02-28-2013 8:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoffmang (Post 10486848)
Richards v. Prieto/Yolo County should have an opinion out in the next 90 days or so.

-Gene

Please keep us informed. I am another Yoyo County resident wanting a CCW.

JPagaduan 03-29-2013 6:25 PM

Ive just started to consider a ccw.

Thanks for the info. I'll be eager to find out the outcome as well.

IXIVI 04-06-2013 12:50 PM

Well, taking into consideration that only accepting one application per year isn't entirely legal, I submitted another application outlining my standing as a a qualified officer under LEOSA. I worded it as if I was applying again for the first time, and 2 months to day after submitting the app, I got it back in the mail with a new letter stating once again that I cant re-apply until 1 year from my denial. Still no actual reason for denial.

I'll be sending in a personal letter respectfully asking why, if I'm exempt from state law, and authorized under federal law, would the Sheriff not consider issuing me for instances where my agency prevents me from carrying off duty.

I'll update if I get another canned response....

IXIVI 04-06-2013 1:04 PM

By the way, I cant find anything specifically listing a timeline, or how often/how many applications can be submitted. I browsed PC 26150, and didn't see anything about a Sheriff refusing applications.

I would like to at least be able to reference a PC if I question the refusal of my application.

CitaDeL 04-07-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IXIVI (Post 11019663)
By the way, I cant find anything specifically listing a timeline, or how often/how many applications can be submitted. I browsed PC 26150, and didn't see anything about a Sheriff refusing applications.

I would like to at least be able to reference a PC if I question the refusal of my application.

Its not PC but case law.

What you are looking for is Salute v Pitchess

Which indicates;

Quote:

(2) While a court cannot compel a public officer to exercise his discretion in any particular manner, it may direct him to exercise that discretion. (1b) We regard the case at bench as involving a refusal of the sheriff to exercise the discretion given him by the statute. Section 12050 imposes only three limits on the grant of an application to carry a concealed weapon: the applicant must be of good moral character, show good cause and be a resident of the county. To determine, in advance, as a uniform rule, that only selected public officials can show good cause is to refuse to consider the existence of good cause on the part of citizens generally and is an abuse of, and not an exercise of, discretion.
and

Quote:

It is the duty of the sheriff to make such an investigation and determination, on an individual basis, on every application under section 12050.
So, in essense, every application submitted with 20% of the local fee is according to the court an obligation to the Sheriff to investigate and determine for the applicant whether good cause exists.

JPagaduan 04-09-2013 7:20 PM

Does anyone know if they prefer the Yolo Sportsman CCw class or can you take the 16 hr classes in sac?

VAPORONE9 04-10-2013 1:51 PM

Sheriff E. G. Prieto - the worst of all possibilities - A Liberal Politician with a gun, and he won't let you have yours. Nice. I've had dealings with him while on the Grand Jury - not good.

OldGeek 04-22-2013 5:04 PM

I'm thinking about next election. Any other Yolo County gun owners also thinking about the next election?

cannonierd 05-05-2013 4:30 PM

Any updates on this case. I live in West Sacramento, thinking about getting a ccw. Funny how I fall under Yolo County for this but anyway. Eager to know of any updates.

gucci pilot 06-16-2013 8:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoffmang (Post 10486848)

-Gene

Gene, we're more than 90 days. What's the word?

cannonierd 08-11-2013 4:26 PM

I take it this is a dead issue now?

Blur125 08-14-2013 12:20 PM

Bump! Love more insight on this...hope its not a dead issue, as I still want a CCW in Yolo

sean english 08-24-2013 6:25 AM

I'm new to yolo county. How possible is it to apply and get one? I heard from a friend that in Sacramento u apply wait and get one.

Blur125 08-25-2013 8:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean english (Post 12145629)
I'm new to yolo county. How possible is it to apply and get one? I heard from a friend that in Sacramento u apply wait and get one.

Yolo is notorious for being extremely difficult to get your CCW in. Hence this thread, read from the beginning.

Sac County is a breeze next to yolo...

JPagaduan 09-20-2013 9:40 AM

Is there a list of approved ccw classes for yolo? I called the sheriffs office and they said there was a list of vendors on there website, but couldn't find it.

DaveInOroValley 09-20-2013 10:17 AM

Personally I never bothered because of all the restrictions and "good causes" but would be curious if the mood has changed for the better. And on a side note, I did read some earlier posts about Yolo Sportsman and have to agree with most of them.

I haven't renewed my membership for a couple of years now due to mainly the uncontrolled aspect of shooting there. I wish I had the money to donate for a red/green light timer system for shooting and cease fires. I know myself and many others I've spoken to would be the first to renew if that would ever
happen.

Have had one too many issues there when I was a member on the line regarding safety and it only takes once so I am not a gambler when it comes to that. I would love to continue to support them but that for me is a big issue.

Blur125 09-20-2013 3:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinwoodland (Post 12361031)
Personally I never bothered because of all the restrictions and "good causes" but would be curious if the mood has changed for the better. And on a side note, I did read some earlier posts about Yolo Sportsman and have to agree with most of them.

I haven't renewed my membership for a couple of years now due to mainly the uncontrolled aspect of shooting there. I wish I had the money to donate for a red/green light timer system for shooting and cease fires. I know myself and many others I've spoken to would be the first to renew if that would ever
happen.

Have had one too many issues there when I was a member on the line regarding safety and it only takes once so I am not a gambler when it comes to that. I would love to continue to support them but that for me is a big issue.

Ah that's too bad, Yolo Sportsman's is my favorite range. I do agree that I have had one too many muzzles pointed in my direction. My brother went there last weekend and said some yay-who parked, got out of his car with a rifle in hand (no case) and "swept" the range with a closed chamber. He got a talking to, but was still allowed to shoot. If it were my range, I'd have drawn on him. Then again, good thing I'm not a range officer haha

Kodeman 10-08-2013 4:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPagaduan (Post 12360775)
Is there a list of approved ccw classes for yolo? I called the sheriffs office and they said there was a list of vendors on there website, but couldn't find it.

If you still need a list , PM me and ill send you a copy

craised 10-08-2013 5:38 PM

Yuba College Community Education holds a eight-hour concealed weapons class at the Yolo Sportsman's Association. All students must have their own weapons and ammunition for the class. The fee is cheeeeep and it is well under 100.00
To register, call 741-6825. I have known the instructor for years and he is very good.

Kodeman 10-08-2013 6:14 PM

Yolo requires 16 hours as of 2013 ..

craised 10-08-2013 7:18 PM

Its about time. The more education the better. Simply owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.

Blur125 10-09-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craised (Post 12494056)
Yuba College Community Education holds a eight-hour concealed weapons class at the Yolo Sportsman's Association. All students must have their own weapons and ammunition for the class. The fee is cheeeeep and it is well under 100.00
To register, call 741-6825. I have known the instructor for years and he is very good.

Still doesn't help with the problems of Yolo residents receiving CCWs...but thanks for the info

JPagaduan 10-09-2013 5:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodeman (Post 12493465)
If you still need a list , PM me and ill send you a copy

Thanks kodeman. I called the sheriffs office. They sent me the list if vendors. :hurray:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodeman (Post 12494360)
Yolo requires 16 hours as of 2013 ..

When I called they told me it was still 8 hrs. I'll verify again tomorrow.

Edit: verified 16 hrs

JPagaduan 10-09-2013 5:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craised (Post 12494056)

Yolo sportsman only has renewal classes. Yuba college ccw initial classes are held at the college with a trip to the sheriffs shooting range for qualification.

Next class is this October 19th. Last I saw, 16 spots left.

Kodeman 10-10-2013 5:05 PM

Give Baptist security training a call , he is in Vacaville and will hold your training for whatever day you want him to . Very easy to deal with and cost is only $90 & he is on the new yolo list ... I went to him not that long ago for my permit .

Kodeman 10-10-2013 5:12 PM

JPagaduan - Fell free to Pm me with any questions . I just finished the process successfully with Yolo county .

Blur125 10-14-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodeman (Post 12509116)
JPagaduan - Fell free to Pm me with any questions . I just finished the process successfully with Yolo county .

You got your CCW in Yolo? Do tell....

Kodeman 10-15-2013 6:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blur125 (Post 12536654)
You got your CCW in Yolo? Do tell....

Yes I did , a few weeks ago. Took about 3-4 months total from initial app till I received my permit. My GC is that im a general contractor . No issues at all , very smooth all in all. Had a slight issue with the CCW instructor I went to , they changed their approved list during my app process and I had to go take another class from a instructor on the new list.

Kodeman 11-01-2013 3:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dca965 (Post 12655313)
Question for the group: Am applying for Yolo CCW, as a resident of Woodland. In my application packet, the requirement to show "proof" of ownership of weapons that I qualified with and that I will ask to have placed on my permit, the DOJ Firearms letter shows MORE than the three I wish to have on the permit. Should I redact the other weapons and only allow the three to have placed on the permit be shown? If so, will the issuing authority feel I am being deceitful? Thanks for any assistance in advance.

I wouldn't worry about showing all the handguns that are on there .. Shouldn't make any difference , just proving that the ones you are listing on your permit are registered to you. Kodi

dca965 11-04-2013 1:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodeman (Post 12672542)
I wouldn't worry about showing all the handguns that are on there .. Shouldn't make any difference , just proving that the ones you are listing on your permit are registered to you. Kodi

Thanks so much Kodi!