Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Re-loading speed/ease with FAB-10 (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=19788)

TonyNorCal 04-03-2005 10:05 AM

Still waiting on my Fab-10 here. How rapidly and with how much ease (or lack thereof) can these bad boys be reloaded? Clearly for most range work you don't need to be engaged in 'tactical reloading', but is it sufficiently easy that one could use such a platform as a SHTF gun? Or would you be better of with a mini-14 or SKS?

And, in doing quick multiple reloadings is there anything delicate that can bend or break?

Thanks

TonyNorCal 04-03-2005 10:05 AM

Still waiting on my Fab-10 here. How rapidly and with how much ease (or lack thereof) can these bad boys be reloaded? Clearly for most range work you don't need to be engaged in 'tactical reloading', but is it sufficiently easy that one could use such a platform as a SHTF gun? Or would you be better of with a mini-14 or SKS?

And, in doing quick multiple reloadings is there anything delicate that can bend or break?

Thanks

C.G. 04-03-2005 10:50 AM

Went through this a couple of weeks ago. It is not too bad except that you have to break it open. I got out the Dremel and modified a stripper clip guide to fit the mag including the bolt catch. Not as fast as mags, but pretty quick. [img]www.sailmontereybay.com/other.html[/img]

First time I am posting an image; hope it comes out.

C.G. 04-03-2005 10:54 AM

stripper clip mod

Photo did not come out; try this link instead

TonyNorCal 04-03-2005 11:56 AM

CG, cool, that's resourceful

markalite@yahoo.com 04-03-2005 2:31 PM

I've often wondered why some descent smith just doesn't take a flat-top upper and mill in a space for a stripper clip guide on top. Would it effect the integrity or strength of the upper?

bwiese 04-03-2005 3:39 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">for most range work you don't need to be engaged in 'tactical reloading', but is it sufficiently easy that one could use such a platform as a SHTF gun? Or would you be better of with a Mini-14 or SKS? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would not regard the FAB10 CaliAR as any kind of SHTF gun. I'd take a bolt hunting gun ahead of a FAB10.

FAB10s may be fine for range queens but - beside their 10rd limit and hard-to-reload character - they don't use a USGI M16 magazine. That alone makes me worried even aside from capacity & loading issues.

The AR system is notoriously finicky w/respect to non-USGI magazines (but maybe just because aftermarket mags are so out-of-spec, perhaps)
and I don't think this system has really had exhaustive testing vs. 35+ yrs of validated & improved AR15/M16 performance http://calguns.net/groupee_common/em.../icon_wink.gif

Mini-14s are "OK", but quality hicaps are not readily available to anyone, esp those in CA. But at least you can have a 10rd magazine that is detachable. Not nearly as as inconvenient as a FAB10. Mini14s not as accurate as ARs/FAB10s w/good uppers but SHTF rarely require high high accuracy.

A quality good-shape SKS is always a good alternative. I think SKSes, esp given that many are legal in CA, may be ultimate 'truck gun' for CA even though I'd prefer a 223 rifle.

If you want to pay a few $$, the new Remington 7615 semiauto rifle that takes detachable AR15 magazines - and which is CA legal since it's in same 'rifle' format as Mini-14 or M1A - may be a great alternative - 223/5.56, accurate, takes AR mags, etc.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

C.G. 04-03-2005 3:53 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would not regard the FAB10 CaliAR as any kind of SHTF gun. I'd take a bolt hunting gun ahead of a FAB10.

FAB10s may be fine for range queens but - beside their 10rd limit and hard-to-reload character - they don't use a USGI M16 magazine. That alone makes me worried even aside from capacity & loading issues. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill,
I agree with everything you say, with the exception I would take SU-16 (in spite of the plastic) over Mini 14, and that in SHTF situation the Fab-10 can be restored to its former glory if you are somewhat handy and have a few tools.

bwiese 04-03-2005 4:10 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cg:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">bwiese wrote: I would not regard the FAB10 CaliAR as any kind of SHTF gun. I'd take a bolt hunting gun ahead of a FAB10.

FAB10s may be fine for range queens but - beside their 10rd limit and hard-to-reload character - they don't use a USGI M16 magazine. That alone makes me worried even aside from capacity & loading issues. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill,
I agree with everything you say, with the exception I would take SU-16 (in spite of the plastic) over Mini 14, and that in SHTF situation the Fab-10 can be restored to its former glory if you are somewhat handy and have a few tools. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

CG,

I would not trust SU16 for my life. Small co, tested only a year or two, etc. I'd trust a Mini way before that.

For SHTF I'm thinking immediate use of weapon needed. Not time to hit the milling shop etc.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

C.G. 04-03-2005 4:38 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you want to pay a few $$, the new Remington 7615 semiauto rifle that takes detachable AR15 magazines - and which is CA legal since it's in same 'rifle' format as Mini-14 or M1A - may be a great alternative - 223/5.56, accurate, takes AR mags, etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill,
I was trying to find the 7615 on Remington's website; didn't see it. Is it the same as 7600?

bwiese 04-03-2005 5:19 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cg:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you want to pay a few $$, the new Remington 7615 semiauto rifle that takes detachable AR15 magazines - and which is CA legal since it's in same 'rifle' format as Mini-14 or M1A - may be a great alternative - 223/5.56, accurate, takes AR mags, etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill,
I was trying to find the 7615 on Remington's website; didn't see it. Is it the same as 7600? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

CG,

The Rem. 7615 comes out of Remingtons L.E. side, not commercial sporting side. Rem does not restrict it from civilian purchase though - it'll be available like Rem. 700PSS and 700LTR 'tactical police' rifles are available at quite a few gun shops.

Look at
http://www.remingtonle.com
and
http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/7615.htm

These are new and are prob not in the supply chain yet but should be shortly. I physically handled one at the SHOT Show this Jan in Vegas - very nice/handy rifle.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

C.G. 04-03-2005 5:32 PM

Sweet! The M-24 looks good, too. Thanks for the link.

MadMex 04-03-2005 5:58 PM

I’m still patiently waiting for my 7615P to arrive. I plan on accessorizing it for SHTF situations.