Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   San Joaquin (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=352789)

Gray Peterson 10-14-2010 10:56 PM

San Joaquin

UPDATE (2014 April 11): It's time to apply!

We have confirmed that active CCW's have been issued purely for "self defense" and "personal protection" and are now active since the Peruta case

The sheriff now accepts "self-defense" as sufficient Good Cause.

Good Cause: Applicants must establish that good cause exist to support a request for a license to carry a concealed weapon. Personal protection or self defense is sufficient to establish good cause.
http://www.sjgov.org/sheriff/ccwRequirements.htm

Please help us spread the word - we need everyone to apply!

End of update.

APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Download, complete and print the DOJ Standard Application here: http://calgunsfoundation.org/downloa...p_Fillable.pdf.
    a. Structure your good cause statement as either a) “I wish to acquire a firearm carry permit for the purpose of self-defense”, or b) if you have a good cause which approximates one from those we posted here, you can state the same good cause (as long as it’s truthful – it’s a crime to lie on the application).
    b. DO NOT SIGN the application; you will sign when you turn it in and SJSO will witness/countersign.
  2. Make two checks or money orders out to “San Joaquin Sheriff’s Office” in the amount of $19.00 and $120.00, respectively. (make sure to put the check numbers in the cover letter under “enclosures” and in the transmittal letter).
  3. Complete the missing information in the cover letter (attached), print, and sign.
  4. Complete the letter of transmittal (attached) and print 2 copies (one for you, one for them), making sure to date the top for the date of your appointment.
  5. Scan all documents.
  6. Contact Sgt. John Palmer and schedule a time to drop off your application and be fingerprinted.
  7. Drop off your cover letter, application, and check. Have Sgt. Palmer or another SJSO representative sign, print name, title and date your letter of transmittal and TAKE THIS COPY HOME.
    a. Point of information: their 90-day deadline clock starts on this date.
  8. Scan your signed letter of transmittal.
  9. Email me your scans.
  10. Keep me posted!

Attachment 76408
Attachment 76406

vietfrost 10-27-2010 7:25 PM

What San Joaquin's policy on issuing ccw? Has anyone else gotten theirs here?

wildhawker 10-27-2010 7:35 PM

I should have San Joaquin good cause statements online by next weekend.

Kid Stanislaus 10-27-2010 9:08 PM

My information is that getting a CCW in San Joaquin Co. is tough as nails, HOWEVER, now that Sacramento Co. and Stanislaus Co. have come around then perhaps SJ Co. will soon follow.

Mstrty 10-28-2010 3:58 PM

My Father just left the SO. He arrived there to find out the process and/or pick up and application. He was told that he would need to call and scheduale an appt. for an interview with Detective Palmer. Detective Palmer is on vacation for 2 weeks and to try back then. I will keep you updated.

Nor-Cal 10-28-2010 4:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus (Post 5201389)
My information is that getting a CCW in San Joaquin Co. is tough as nails, HOWEVER, now that Sacramento Co. and Stanislaus Co. have come around then perhaps SJ Co. will soon follow.

I hope so because I look foward to applying for my ccw in the near future!

vietfrost 10-28-2010 10:46 PM

I was hoping things have changed. I can't find any info on the current san joaquin sheriff's stand on ccw.

wildhawker 10-29-2010 1:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vietfrost (Post 5207634)
I was hoping things have changed. I can't find any info on the current san joaquin sheriff's stand on ccw.

We can't discuss anything yet, but know that both known "good cause" statements and some backstory will be available within a week or so.

Silent_Combatant 11-04-2010 10:22 AM

good info

Gray Peterson 11-10-2010 5:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yo-Yo (Post 5279068)
I applied for a CCW in 2007. I was told to go to my local police chief first, then they would take my application at the SO if I was denied. So... I requested an application from the police chief...I received a letter 10 days later telling me that the chief in my town does not approve any CCW applications...period...so don't even bother applying!

I took the letter to the SO and was given a CCW application. After completing the application (and paying the requisite fees), surviving what I interpreted as a character interview with an officer, submitting my fingerprints (more fees) and meeting once again with a sergeant to discuss my background (squeaky clean), I received a call from the Sheriff's secretary. I was told the Sheriff wanted to meet with me. I assumed this meeting would be an opportunity for the Sheriff to personally review my character and motivations/reasons for obtaining a CCW.

I showed up on time to meet with the Sheriff and was ushered into a conference room by Sheriff Moore. He quickly told me that he was denying my application. He refused to give me any specific reason for the denial other than telling me that he saw no clear and present threat upon my life. He went on to say he would grant a CCW to anyone that was "one step above a normal citizen". I asked him to define "one step above a normal citizen"...but he danced around the issue. Then it seemed as though he was giving me a campaign speech. He made it a point to tell me that he is a card carrying member of the NRA and that he supports the 2nd amendment.

I have often wondered why he wasted our time, just to deny my application. Surely he has better things to do...I know I do!

Hoo boy. Sounds like some real problems here. Seems that some people like to ride NRA coattails and don't hold up their end of the bargain.

Purple K 11-10-2010 10:35 PM

I have two older brothers in Stockton, both are former Reserve Police Officers. Since leaving the force, both have been denied CCW's. I'm sure that they'll both be Calgunners soon.

Kid Stanislaus 11-10-2010 11:04 PM

YO-YO, "one step above a normal citizens" means he expects a donation to his campaign fund. How much is the CCW worth to you?!!

1norcalvarmintHunter 11-11-2010 12:22 PM

i have been a stockton res, for 29 years. I would hope i can get a CCW especially since the police budget cuts and city's issue of insolvency. Bottom line its a very criminally active city.

Southwest Chuck 11-15-2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildhawker (Post 5208075)
We can't discuss anything yet, but know that both known "good cause" statements and some backstory will be available within a week or so.

Wildhawker....Any info available yet? It's been not 1 but "2 weeks" (:D) since your post. I've got a cousin that lives in Lodi and is very interested in getting his CCW. I'm forwarding this thread to him and I'm sure we'll have a new Calguns member shortly. :thumbsup: and a tip of the hat to you for all your hard work !

wildhawker 11-15-2010 1:14 PM

The delay is my fault, but should be rectified soon.

DRAB_81 11-17-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southwest Chuck (Post 5301360)
. I've got a cousin that lives in Lodi and is very interested in getting his CCW.

If he lives in the city limits, he's got an extremely slim chance. I was denied even being given an application. I was told to call the man who handles CCW's for the city, and after a 5 minute phone conversation, I was denied the application.

CpuFixrMan 11-17-2010 12:42 PM

Fortunately (?) for me, I live in a city with SJCSO contracted services. Lathrop has no city police force and therefore relies on contracted services from the county. I'm eager to hear when I should try applying for my CCW as I will need to apply direct to the SO for this.

dantodd 11-17-2010 1:32 PM

The sheriff must take your application if you live in the county, they may not refer you to you local city. If that happens contact Gray.

wildhawker 11-17-2010 1:54 PM

SJCo good cause statements are in hand, scanning tomorrow and redacting Fri-Sat.

Sheriff Moore must accept all applications. They are acutely aware of this (I had a face-to-face meeting at their office yesterday).

-Brandon

fw10ring 11-17-2010 3:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildhawker (Post 5313249)
SJCo good cause statements are in hand, scanning tomorrow and redacting Fri-Sat.

Sheriff Moore must accept all applications. They are acutely aware of this (I had a face-to-face meeting at their office yesterday).

-Brandon

THANK YOU!

G17GUY 11-17-2010 8:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildhawker (Post 5313249)

-Brandon

WTF, how do you do it?

twist his arm?:p

wildhawker 11-17-2010 10:55 PM

Residents of San Joaquin County:

CGF needs your assistance in a Initiative-related action ASAP. We're looking for volunteers who are free from prohibiting conditions (preferably free of LE encounters/incidents, arrests, and extensive traffic moving violations, but do go ahead and sign up regardless as we need a diverse cross-section of volunteers for the various upcoming activities). We would especially appreciate your participation if you are a resident of an incorporated city within San Joaquin County, but all who reside within the county should please go ahead and confidently sign up to assist. Anyone who's been denied by SJ County (or a city within the county) within the past 2-3 years should also definitely contact us. Also, make sure you pass this info along to your friends and family who might be interested in helping the cause.

If you're looking to get involved and make a real contribution towards advancing our Second Amendment rights in San Joaquin County and throughout California, head over to CGF's volunteer page, fill out a simple one page form and submit it securely to us, or email your information per the below to volunteer@calgunsfoundation.org.

Here's what we need to get started:
Last Name
First Name
City
County
Zip Code
Email Address
Phone
CGN Username (if any)
Carry license (CCW) holder (past/present)?
Carry license (CCW) denials?
If you already emailed or submitted your info to us, look for an email from me soon (you may already have one as you're reading this post; if you don't, please do reach out via PM or email).

Thanks for your continuing support of CGF's ongoing carry-advancing efforts. Please do consider sponsoring your county and reaching out to your favorite SJ County FFL to urge their support of our Carry License Reform and Sunshine Initiative. Freedom isn't free, and we appreciate your consideration in this regard.

-Brandon

siliconphreak 11-18-2010 7:20 AM

This mean we should go out in force and apply for a ccw?

Stockton 11-18-2010 7:47 AM

I've downloaded all docs and have registered as a volunteer.

wildhawker 11-18-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siliconphreak (Post 5316839)
This mean we should go out in force and apply for a ccw?

Please just sign up to volunteer and follow our instructions.

-Brandon

JagerTroop 11-18-2010 10:40 AM

This is gonna be awesome :D

I have a question that may apply to others here: If I have submitted a live scan in the last year(COE) am I required to resubmit upon applying for my ccw?

dantodd 11-21-2010 10:21 PM

You can review some of the Good Cause Statements approved by the San Joaquin Sheriff here: http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.p...27-san-joaquin

Kid Stanislaus 11-22-2010 11:05 AM

I looked at all the Good Cause Statements and it looks like the key is "large sums of cash".

trautert 11-22-2010 11:42 AM

At 8:04 am on November 19th I sent ...the second email...No reply yet.

Untamed1972 11-22-2010 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus (Post 5337085)
I looked at all the Good Cause Statements and it looks like the key is "large sums of cash".

Actually when I read them it pretty much seemed like "personal protection" was the key with common added things like "I walk at night" or "Hike/fish in remote locations". Basically pretty common, vague things that wouldnt seem to meet the "more than usual need" or "specific threat" rule commonly stated, and that apply to just about everyone.

wildhawker 11-22-2010 11:54 AM

I would expect that the Sgt is awaiting orders. Let's not discuss this in a public venue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trautert (Post 5337246)
At 8:04 am on November 19th I sent... the second email...No reply yet.

wrdavis 11-22-2010 5:30 PM

Downloaded three counties today, so not sure these were all in SJ county.

What I noticed was lots of "to comply with the law".

Another was that some amount of cash can be worth more than some one's life. So with only a quarter in my pocket and I get held up, give the quarter away and the bad guy shoots me cause I didn't have enough? My quarter just too low a value to warrant having a CCW.

And of the ones I downloaded today, the best was: I carry lots of guns & ammo and need to keep them out of the wrong hands.

wildhawker 11-22-2010 6:57 PM

I think it's interesting that some Sheriffs require "good cause" e.g. transportation of money, etc. when they would almost certainly arrest someone for shooting someone to protect property.

Nor-Cal 11-22-2010 7:41 PM

Some of the good cause statements are very intresting and hard to belive an adult wrote the good cause statements!

wildhawker 11-22-2010 8:33 PM

On Nov. 22, 2010, San Joaquin County Sheriff's Office removed their requirement that applicants who reside in incorporated areas first apply to their city PD Chief of Police; here's an excerpt of an email from the SJSO:

Quote:

"...as a resident of an incorporated city, pursuant to the California Penal Code, you have a choice in submitting an application to the Chief of Police of the city you live in, or the Sheriff of your county of residence."
We're optimistic that Sheriff Moore will continue to remove illegal requirements and restrictions from his policy and create a system of carry license issuance that's timely, fair and fully compliant with state and federal law without prompt by costly litigation.

I'd like to thank all of the San Joaquin County Carry Reform Initiative volunteers for their work in making this happen. If you'd like to get involved in similar Carry Reform efforts, sign up at www.calgunsfoundation.org/volunteer.

For more information on the status of our efforts in San Joaquin county, including approved "Good Cause" statements, please visit http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.p...27-san-joaquin.

wildhawker 11-23-2010 9:55 AM

I'm hearing that the entire process at the SJ Sheriff's Office is ~40min start to finish, including Livescan.

rivraton 11-23-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrdavis (Post 5339036)
Downloaded three counties today, so not sure these were all in SJ county.

What I noticed was lots of "to comply with the law".
Another was that some amount of cash can be worth more than some one's life. So with only a quarter in my pocket and I get held up, give the quarter away and the bad guy shoots me cause I didn't have enough? My quarter just too low a value to warrant having a CCW.

And of the ones I downloaded today, the best was: I carry lots of guns & ammo and need to keep them out of the wrong hands.

I saw that too. I wonder if that implies that, if they don't get a permit, they'll carry anyway?:rolleyes:

hunterkharris 11-24-2010 10:58 AM

i signed up to help, but have yet to receive a email.

wildhawker 11-24-2010 11:03 AM

It's time to apply in SJ County!

Please help us spread the word - we need everyone to apply using one of the similarly situated good cause statements found here.

APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Download, complete and print the DOJ Standard Application here: http://calgunsfoundation.org/downloa...p_Fillable.pdf.
    a. Structure your good cause statement as either a) “I wish to acquire a firearm carry permit for the purpose of self-defense”, or b) if you have a good cause which approximates one from those we posted here, you can state the same good cause (as long as it’s truthful – it’s a crime to lie on the application).
    b. DO NOT SIGN the application; you will sign when you turn it in and SJSO will witness/countersign.
  2. Make two checks or money orders out to “San Joaquin Sheriff’s Office” in the amount of $19.00 and $120.00, respectively. (make sure to put the check numbers in the cover letter under “enclosures” and in the transmittal letter).
  3. Complete the missing information in the cover letter (attached), print, and sign.
  4. Complete the letter of transmittal (attached) and print 2 copies (one for you, one for them), making sure to date the top for the date of your appointment.
  5. Scan all documents.
  6. Contact Sgt. John Palmer and schedule a time to drop off your application and be fingerprinted.
  7. Drop off your cover letter, application, and check. Have Sgt. Palmer or another SJSO representative sign, print name, title and date your letter of transmittal and TAKE THIS COPY HOME.
    a. Point of information: their 90-day deadline clock starts on this date.
  8. Scan your signed letter of transmittal.
  9. Email me your scans.
  10. Keep me posted!

Attachment 76408
Attachment 76406

Be sure to sign up at www.calgunsfoundation.org/volunteer!

cj1026 11-25-2010 8:18 PM

Brandon I live in Ripon. Should I apply to local PD or SJSO?