Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   CGSSA Range Cleanups (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   any clean up meets around san diego area? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=607630)

hellabent 08-13-2012 9:17 AM

any clean up meets around san diego area?

I used to go to mate Harrison but I hear it has been shut down. I am willing to take time and help clean up a site and maintain it clean if anyone out there is willing to share a location. I mostly sight in my hunting rifles so that is why I look for an outdoor range. Any feed back is appreciated. Thanks

AP1 08-13-2012 7:38 PM

I'd be interested in a SD clean up.

Subscribed.

AKjanitor 08-17-2012 8:18 AM

yes let me know when there is a San Diego clean up, BTW the BLM area in Dulzura is closed for fire season, the gate is locked and there is a memo with a map describing the closure, also $1000 fine for trespassing while the land is closed.

Roach_Infinity 08-17-2012 9:09 AM

Interested. Subbed.

-Eric

Frumious Bandersnatch 08-17-2012 10:03 AM

I'd be interested as well.

Meety Peety 08-17-2012 5:18 PM

Just a heads up to you guys, fire season is kicking off with a bang and most of the BLM spots are either closed or will be closed shortly. Even my "hole in the wall no one knows about this place" spot is probably a bad idea right now. This is the time of year that most people either trek out to the desert or stick with indoor ranges.

FamilyofShooters 08-28-2012 1:44 PM

I'm in. I would guess there won't be any open areas until the middle of October. I have a couple spots I will be checking out as soon as it cools off in the desert. Hopefully there won't be any need for a clean up but if so, will post it.

musick 09-11-2012 6:32 PM

I would like to participate as well if it is a weekend visit.

Cactus_Tim 09-11-2012 7:09 PM

The spot I frequent in the local desert really needs some cleanup.
Shot up vodka & beer bottles, glass sliding doors, computer monitors, misc. electronics, tires, plywood, shotgun shells everywhere.
Probably worth getting a few trucks or a trailer to haul the stuff out.
Boxes and buckets for the glass. Trash bags, too.
Good to organize a cleanup followed by a shoot and bar-b-que.
Camping too when the weather cools down.

budprop 09-12-2012 8:28 AM

Im in for a clean-up, have a truck and a tarp to throw in the mix.

SouthCoastTargets 09-15-2012 11:01 AM

i would love to learn about more of the shooting spots around here, and out in the desert (any spot out in the ocotillo area???). i am hoping to find a spot with 1000-2000 yrds and a solid backstop, so when my .50DTC arrives i will have a spot to use it.

My buddy cleans up our spot fairly thoroughly and the ranger knows he does that, he takes it and scraps most of the stuff he finds, generally pays for the gas to get out there and back. he has a truck and trailer and would be down for any cleanups so long as he can scrap the stuff that is scrap-able.

GUNNYMAX 09-27-2012 5:43 PM

I'm in. Have a pickup and some tools also. Probably a couple of more guy's from church would probably be interested also.

Mikespeed 09-29-2012 8:53 PM

Count me in too,... Although if its too far off road I may need to bum a ride. My cars have low ground clearance. :)

Patrick78 10-03-2012 12:12 PM

Count me in...and possibly a few others to help. I live in Poway and have a truck.

eightmd 10-15-2012 4:22 PM

I too am interested in any shooting areas around San Diego, and am willing to help with cleanup. If anything gets started I hope to hear about it.

chknlyps2 10-15-2012 4:44 PM

Well you guys are welcome to come here next weekend http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=606961

It is about an hour north of escondido, it might not be to bad for north county people but a little far if you are down south.

randver 10-15-2012 8:36 PM

im interested in a San Diego clean up and shoot also.

Shabitz 10-15-2012 9:03 PM

I'd be interested in helping with cleanup. Have a truck. Subbed to thread.

eightmd 10-16-2012 8:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chknlyps2 (Post 9521965)
Well you guys are welcome to come here next weekend http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=606961

It is about an hour north of escondido, it might not be to bad for north county people but a little far if you are down south.

Where is that? Is this for a clean up?

chknlyps2 10-16-2012 9:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightmd (Post 9525791)
Where is that? Is this for a clean up?

About an hour north if Escondido. Yes it is for a clean up.

eightmd 10-17-2012 7:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chknlyps2 (Post 9521965)

I can't make it this weekend. Did you mean 10/20-21 or the weekend after 10/27-28? Also the place is a little vague. "The Spot :: Take Hwy 74 ( West Of the town of Perris)" Is there a little more specific directions? If it is for 10/27 and/or 28 I'm sure I can make it one of those days. You can PM me if you want. Thanks

chknlyps2 10-17-2012 4:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightmd (Post 9533727)
I can't make it this weekend. Did you mean 10/20-21 or the weekend after 10/27-28? Also the place is a little vague. "The Spot :: Take Hwy 74 ( West Of the town of Perris)" Is there a little more specific directions? If it is for 10/27 and/or 28 I'm sure I can make it one of those days. You can PM me if you want. Thanks

You have to look at the last page of the thread, the clean up is this saturday oct 20. The location is vague because Eat Dirt did not want to post the location on an open forum (have you seen how many views that thread has had?). It is about 15 minutes farther than Lake Elsinore just to get you close on a map. For the people that are coming directions will be PMed a couple days before the clean up.

eightmd 10-18-2012 7:54 AM

OK thanks, I understand. Like I said I can't make it this weekend but I'll listen for the next one and try and make it.

Teancum 11-30-2012 9:55 AM

Any way we can clean-up Orosco Ridge and get it functional again?
I too will volunteer for clean-ups around SD

swift722 01-06-2013 9:15 AM

cleanup

did this thread die, or is anyone still trying to setup cleanups in the san diego area? would be down to help

eightmd 01-07-2013 8:19 AM

I'm up for it too. Maybe we should get together, find a good BLM spot to shoot, and then clean it up ourselves. My big issue is finding a good BLM spot close to me. I'm a little south of Carlsbad.

Noahfreak 01-07-2013 1:52 PM

Interested in Outdoor Shooting Area

I'd be down to help with a cleanup as well. The last few years I've found that all of the Cleveland National Forest locations are closed at all times. I just need a place to site in my rifle, and the indoor ranges are too damn crowded and expensive for me. I'm looking to get a smaller rifle for target practice as well, but without a spot to shoot, I'm holding off. I have a long-bed 1/2 ton pickup and plenty of time on my hands these days, so I'd be willing to pitch in. I live just north of Miramar.

eightmd 01-07-2013 3:47 PM

Yea it would be nice to find a place close to this area. I haven't had the time to search lately. No one wants to give up their spots because they are afraid of people not being responsible. Guess leg work is the only answer.

musick 01-07-2013 4:42 PM

I too am looking to contribute my efforts for any range cleanups near San Diego. My vehicle is not suited for offroad travel, but I can meet at a designated spot and then offer up gas money in return for a ride and provide BLM maps near Jacumba.

Meety Peety 01-07-2013 8:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightmd (Post 10139413)
Guess leg work is the only answer.

DING!

I wish I could help out but I mean just look at the sheer amount of people in this section of the forum constantly asking for a place. Even if you guys are responsible (I'm sure most of you are) the sheer flood of people would almost ensure I'd never get a weekend spot at the place I worked so hard to find. Keep in mind some places are really limited on space/shooting areas.

Another way of looking at it, and I know this probably comes off as rude, but there are already a bunch of hints and tips here.. just read the damn threads (AND replies) and it's really a no-brainer.

gwanghoops 01-07-2013 10:35 PM

Don't flame me, but I was thinking of doing the opposite -- collecting and publicizing all of the available BLM sites. It might make local sites more crowded, but it might also make them clean. It looks like the BLM can't afford to even provide dumpsters and signs, but we could...

Just wondering, do the once in a while CG cleanups actually do anything in the long term or is it like my house, only clean once every few years?

BonnieB 01-08-2013 10:38 AM

Check with your local C3 on setting up a cleanup at a location you suggest.

In Sacramento, we're tossing around the idea of "Adopt a Range", where local Chapters commit to doing regular cleanups and also individual member cleanups of certain ranges when they're there. (That involves throwing some plastic bags and a rake into your truck along with your guns, pretty simple.)

eightmd 01-08-2013 3:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonnieB (Post 10146871)
Check with your local C3 on setting up a cleanup at a location you suggest.

In Sacramento, we're tossing around the idea of "Adopt a Range", where local Chapters commit to doing regular cleanups and also individual member cleanups of certain ranges when they're there. (That involves throwing some plastic bags and a rake into your truck along with your guns, pretty simple.)

What is the C3?

wpage 01-08-2013 3:45 PM

Great idea!

BonnieB 01-08-2013 4:00 PM

A C3 is a local Calguns Community Coordinator, who helps make things like shoots and range cleanups happen.

Look in the "Calguns in Your Community Forum", find your local chapter and I'm sure you'll find plenty of things to do. Here's the one for San Diego. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=654215

If you don't see an event you want to do, like a range cleanup, contact your C3 and help him/her make it happen.

eightmd 01-09-2013 8:37 AM

Yes looks like we have a local C3 but it just started and it seems to be starting slowly without much happening.

BonnieB 01-09-2013 10:39 AM

The fastest way I know to make the process happen is to PM your C3 and offer to help run an event. It's a lot easier with two or three, and we usually have to post an event three weeks or a month in advance to let people plan.

In the meantime, you can do self service by announcing a casual shoot in your local forum, just say where you'll be and when, then people show up or they don't. We have a special thread in Sacramento http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=637393, where anyone can post where they're shooting and others meet up with them. We did it so all the individual shoots would show up in one thread and people wouldn't have to dig.

hoss_hk 01-09-2013 9:12 PM

Unfortunately, informal shoots on BLM land in the San Diego area that are made public tend to end up in locations being trashed and closed down. Please do not post locations of BLM shoots- use PMs to communicate.

As motivated as I am, things tend to happen slowly around the holidays because of others' schedules that I have no control over. If you have time to coordinate a cleanup before I do, PM me and I'll help get you rolling. I know of a general area already and I wanted to involve the local BLM ranger before scheduling something.

Darren

NoNOS67 01-10-2013 9:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwanghoops (Post 10143785)
Don't flame me, but I was thinking of doing the opposite -- collecting and publicizing all of the available BLM sites. It might make local sites more crowded, but it might also make them clean. It looks like the BLM can't afford to even provide dumpsters and signs, but we could...

Just wondering, do the once in a while CG cleanups actually do anything in the long term or is it like my house, only clean once every few years?

That's the sure fire, guaranteed, fastest way to get them trashed and SHUT DOWN. Seriously.

chknlyps2 01-12-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoNOS67 (Post 10175443)
That's the sure fire, guaranteed, fastest way to get them trashed and SHUT DOWN. Seriously.

I tend to agree, please keep locations to PM and not publicly posted