PDA

View Full Version : Plinking 308 Ammo?

FlyingPen
05-05-2008, 1:00 PM
While I anxiously await for my Remington SPS-Varmint to ship... I've been looking for some cheaper ammo than the Black Hills 175gr to do some initial sight in and get used to shooting a bolt action as well as posturing my body and all that other good stuff.

I of course don't really expect it to be super accurate but as long as it doesn't damage the gun and is reasonably (gets on paper consistently) accurate, I was wondering if this was decent for plinking.

http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php?pName=200rds-308-prvi-partizan-175gr-boattail-fmj-match-ammo&cName=308-762-nato-all-308-762-nato

Seems like a good deal at $0.71 a shot shipped instead of the $1.16 a shot that was the 300 rounds of BH ammo I purchased.

Alternatively, here's some 168gr Federal at a decent price but more $ and not the 175 grain ammo I was hoping to learn on.

http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php?pName=200rds-308-federal-le-tactical-tru-168gr-sp-ammo&cName=308-762-nato-all-308-762-nato

Any other suggestions for decent 308 in 175gr for around $0.70 a shot? Anyone try that Privi stuff I linked above?

wildcard
05-05-2008, 1:14 PM
Really not trying to sound rude.. but if you want to plink and practice basic marksmanship on a budget.. do it with a .22 bolt action. It'll cost about what you'd pay for 300 rds of .308 but will offer you a lot more in return comparatively.

When it's time to fire your .308, you should try making every shot count. But before you even do that, you need to have good ammunition. Without good ammo, you won't know if the slight variances you see are due to you or your ammo so it will be mighty hard to detect your own faults and make corrections.

Don't just "plink" with your .308. Doing so will have the tendency to make you sloppy if you're serious about long range shooting.

Cheap $1.00/ round 175gr Match ammo does exist http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=6464&dir=18|606|607

I say just practice with some 168gr it's generally easier and cheaper to find. It will perform equal to if not better thatn 175gr up 600+ yards.

rksimple
05-05-2008, 1:14 PM
Here are a couple threads:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=426377#Post426377

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=283791#Post283791

FlyingPen
05-05-2008, 1:17 PM
Really not trying to sound rude.. but if you want to plink and practice basic marksmanship on a budget.. do it with a .22 bolt action. It'll cost about what you'd pay for 300 rds of .308 but will offer you a lot more in return comparatively.

When it's time to fire your .308, you should try making every shot count. But before you even do that, you need to have good ammunition. Without good ammo, you won't know if the slight variances you see are due to you or your ammo so it will be mighty hard to detect your own faults and make corrections.

Don't just "plink" with your .308. Doing so will have the tendency to make you sloppy if you're serious about long range shooting.

Cheap $1.00/ round 175gr Match ammo does exist http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=6464&dir=18|606|607

I say just practice with some 168gr it's generally easier and cheaper to find. It will perform equal to if not better thatn 175gr up 600+ yards.

Not rude at all. I do have a 22LR rifle that I am used to but it is a semi auto, a Remmy 597, I guess I just want to get used to the platform (eye relief, recoil, trigger pull, positioning, etc) with some cheaper ammo so I can make the more expensive shots count.

I definitely intend to just use the Black Hills 175gr for the beginner class and for final sight in and learning.

FlyingPen
05-05-2008, 1:23 PM
Here are a couple threads:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=426377#Post426377

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=283791#Post283791

Ok thanks, seems like it's not worth it at all.

Timberwolf
05-05-2008, 1:29 PM
The TRU ammo you posted a link to is excellent ammo - I shot some of it with great results.

wildcard
05-05-2008, 1:33 PM
Not rude at all. I do have a 22LR rifle that I am used to but it is a semi auto, a Remmy 597, I guess I just want to get used to the platform (eye relief, recoil, trigger pull, positioning, etc) with some cheaper ammo so I can make the more expensive shots count.

I definitely intend to just use the Black Hills 175gr for the beginner class and for final sight in and learning.

It could be just me.. but this is just a lesson I learned.

A person's short range game and long range game are very different. Just beceause you can shoot long range does not mean you'll be able to shoot short. With that said, use something tried and proven for all ranges so ALL your shots count. With very little exception especially with ammo, you get what you pay for. Looking for cheaper ammo is a valid request especially with how much things are costing nowadays. But when we're talking about $0.70 vs $1.00.. i'd go for the quality stuff.

Just fire 30% less than you otherwise would but make it count 100% of the time. I think you'll get more out of your sessions this way.

You don't want to develop "plinking habits" with your go to rifle. Your marksmanship may subsequently suffer like mines did. Lesson learned for me.

PolishMike
05-05-2008, 1:41 PM
If you can shoot steel cased shoot some silver bear. Perfect plinking ammo.

ar15barrels
05-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Nobody else has said it so I will...

Start reloading.
If you participate in group buys to get bulk pricing, you should be able to get your ammo costs well under 50 cents a round.

Save those black hills cases when you fire them.
They should last you for several reloads.

olegk
05-05-2008, 11:25 PM

Start reloading.
If you participate in group buys to get bulk pricing, you should be able to get your ammo costs well under 50 cents a round.

+1. Just invest time and money into reloading equipment/components. I have "plinking" ammo cost 25 cents per round and it is better than most commersial non-match ammo.
I bought 168 gr bullets from here
http://www.goldenwestbrass.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=10
Get powder and primers group buy and work-out your load. Advantage of this you can have load customized for you rifle specifics. In long run you will not be desapointed.

Prc329
05-06-2008, 7:32 AM
I am pretty sure I can load match quality Ammo for less then the cost of factory plinking loads. The start up cost will set you back a little but will pay for it self pretty quickly.

wildcard
05-06-2008, 9:41 AM
I am pretty sure I can load match quality Ammo for less then the cost of factory plinking loads. The start up cost will set you back a little but will pay for it self pretty quickly.

Yeah. I believe reloaded match ammo comes out to about $.33 for me.

AngelDecoys
05-06-2008, 10:01 AM
I don't know if this is helpful or not, but you might consider picking up a 22bolt rifle with a heavy barrel. Match rimfire at 100 yards prone will give you practice on your technique in a cheaper price range. A lot of long distance shooters do practice with .22. You'll find 100, or 200 yards with a .22 good practice.

I don't know if the sights can be changed for a scope, but these are unissued and very accurate. $600.
http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/caliber22.htm

http://www.odcmp.com/images/kimber.jpg

FlyingPen
05-06-2008, 11:14 AM

Start reloading.

I wish I could but living in a downtown apartment, I really don't have any place to setup a reloading rig. Not only that but the time investment is just something I can't do right now. I even feel guilty when I go to the range and then spend more time cleaning.

hybridatsun350
05-06-2008, 11:33 AM
I just picked up a couple hundred rounds of the 168 gr. Prvi Partizan Match .308. It's supposed to be really good stuff for the money. I haven't had a chance to get out and shoot any of it yet, but I have had good experience with Prvi ammo in the past and I'm sure I'll be impressed. I paid about $0.63/rd + shipping so I can imagine it wont be hard to be impressed.:)

ar15barrels
05-06-2008, 6:15 PM
Yeah. I believe reloaded match ammo comes out to about $.33 for me.

My current load using 155gr SMK's and Varget is costing me 22 cents a round right now, but I am almost out of that box of bullets I got for 10 cents each. :(
I do have a supply of 155 Scenars to start using though.
Seems those loaded rounds are going to cost me 46 cents a round.

Cali80
05-06-2008, 6:31 PM
May I suggest thehuntingshack.com They make custom ammo for a great price.

Also ammoman.com You can buy the FGM 168 for about a dollar a around, but that includes shipping. I would stick with that.

If you are plinking, then just get the surplus out there, you know the 146gr. ones that come in battle packs.

Plinking and target/accuracy shooting are mutuall exclusive. IMHO Hence the price difference between match and regular ball ammo.

Good luck.

byrom1212
05-14-2008, 8:34 AM
dont buy silver bear It wont discharge easy you have to rip on the bolt to get it out.

PolishMike
05-14-2008, 9:52 AM
dont buy silver bear It wont discharge easy you have to rip on the bolt to get it out.

no such problems for me..

ar15barrels
05-14-2008, 10:03 AM
no such problems for me..

True, but you did not see 3" patterns as a problem either. ;)

byrom1212
05-14-2008, 10:11 AM
I have a remington 700 in .308 and I put two rounds through it and both you had to pull the crap out off the bolt to get it out.

PolishMike
05-14-2008, 11:39 AM
True, but you did not see 3" patterns as a problem either. ;)

Its a problem if your trying to win a competition but for plinking (see thread title) its perfect.

ar15barrels
05-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Its a problem if your trying to win a competition but for plinking (see thread title) its perfect.

3 MOA accuracy is not good enough for ME to plink with.

Prc329
05-14-2008, 12:51 PM
3 MOA accuracy is not good enough for ME to plink with.

I feel ya. I wouldn't run that stuff thew my M14. My Plinking ammo is cheaper and capable of .5 moa in my 700.

FlyingPen
05-27-2008, 2:01 PM
I was able to get well under 1moa with a 3 shot group with 175gr BHA Winmatch. I am kinda curious about how well cheaper ammo does so I'll be experimenting and posting the results.

Any suggestions on which ones you guys want me to try out?

wildcard
05-27-2008, 2:13 PM
I was able to get well under 1moa with a 3 shot group with 175gr BHA Winmatch. I am kinda curious about how well cheaper ammo does so I'll be experimenting and posting the results.

Any suggestions on which ones you guys want me to try out?

This might save you a little $$$: http://www.snipercentral.com/matchammo.htm

FlyingPen
05-27-2008, 2:19 PM
That's interesting about the barrel length.

Chase1
05-27-2008, 2:56 PM
How does one go about learning to reload?

Aside from equipment is it something you can read and learn, or is it more of a "hands on with experienced person" type of learning curve?

wildcard
05-27-2008, 2:59 PM
Reading helps.. having somebody show you is priceless though. Get to know a few shooters and they may invite you into their home to show you a thing or two :) It's actually rather easy and only gets a little more complicated when you're talking about "match loads."

Cypriss32
05-27-2008, 3:21 PM
Reloading was easy. Grab some powder off the wall the coolest looking one. Find a case, pick a primer that is 'HoTT'. Fill to almost top of case, pick the neatest plasitic tip bullet, hammer it in the hole. FIRE AWAY!

ar15barrels
05-27-2008, 4:59 PM
Reloading was easy. Grab some powder off the wall the coolest looking one. Find a case, pick a primer that is 'HoTT'. Fill to almost top of case, pick the neatest plasitic tip bullet, hammer it in the hole. FIRE AWAY!

:rofl2:

Here are the instructions...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98I1i8Toj8E

I have started a bunch of people in reloading with just an hour of hands-on basics.
Find someone to give you a demonstration.

Cypriss32
05-27-2008, 5:32 PM
The funny thing is ive done that thow:
Got some Neck sized 30-06 win brass. Fill the case to the top of Rl22, measured it, dropped charges down to 63.0grs and shot a 175gr SMK. Um i now have a hole in a steel target!

Jicko
05-27-2008, 6:16 PM
RELOAD....

RELOAD....

RELOAD....

Haven't you figure out why EVERYONE is after your brass yet?

PS. If anyone of you in SD is serious about getting into it, I can offer to show/teach you how...

wildcard
05-27-2008, 7:33 PM
RELOAD....

RELOAD....

RELOAD....

Haven't you figure out why EVERYONE is after your brass yet?

PS. If anyone of you in SD is serious about getting into it, I can offer to show/teach you how...

There's actually a significant time commitment involved (less so if you're doing it on a higher end Dillon) so I wouldn't be too hard on him just yet. There are people out there who have more money than they do time.. even though i'm certainly not one of them :(