PDA

View Full Version : Tactical LR Match @ Sac Valley

Vu 308
05-04-2008, 9:28 PM
We had a good showing of 40 shooters today.

Top 5 were:

1st Place Greg Wahlmeier with his 6.5x47L
2nd Place Fred Sakai 243Win
3rd Place Vu Pham 260Rem
4th Place Dennis Lorenzo 260Rem
5th Place Joe Ducos 6.5x284win

Wahlmerer, Greg 413 3X
Sakai, Fred 388 4X
Pham, Vu 384 1X
Lorenzo, Dennis 382 3X
Ducos, Joe 379 3X
Kirkpatrick, John 369 1X
Van Gerpen, Matt 355 0X
Thomas, Robert 349 2X
Boak, Jason 335 2X 308WIN
Young, Nick 314 0X 308WIN
Dunnett, Robert 308 0X
Lake, Dave 305 1X
Cecil, Mike 302 1X
Childs, Gary 301 2X
Davis, Dave 287 0X
Bowen, Jerry 284 0X 308WIN
Jones, Duel 265 0X
Dunlap, John 257 2X 308WIN
Orlando, Ron 254 2X 308WIN
Denny, Jacob 251 0X 308 WIN
Feighner, Keith 239 2X 3006
Hill, Scott 237 0X 308WIN
Howard, Chas 236 0X 308WIN
Shaw, Shawn 223 1X 308WIN
Kerley, David 222 1X 308WIN
Wong, Sandy 221 0X 308WIN
Bloed, Nick 221 0X
Bailey, Brian 209 0X
Morse, Mirl 206 1X
Jacobson, Scott 191 0X
Jackson, Bob 172 0X
Canupp, Jim 165 1X
Merritt, Cory 154 0X
Lu, Jason 136 0X
Taylor, Wes 135 0X
Davenport, Rod 134 1X
Alvi, Jake 126 0X
Brown, Joe 112 0X
Sandretto, Don 108 0X
Seelinger, Sherman 0 0X DNF

It was a busy day in the pits as well as on the firing line.

Rob and Fred did a great job running the match.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/vuhpham/CIMG0099.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/vuhpham/CIMG0098.jpg

Timberwolf
05-04-2008, 9:30 PM
I get jealous every time I see a picture of that range . . . so green, so manicured . . .

rksimple
05-04-2008, 9:33 PM
Where did the first 308 shooter fall? Are you guys going to have enough 308 shooters for the north south match?

Vu 308
05-04-2008, 9:49 PM
LOL..yes Twolf...we are very lucky to have SVSC.

Ryan...no worries on 308s because all of us that shoot these hot rods also drive 308s. We shoot 308s on our steel matches out to 550yards.

Dennis L. use to school all of us with his bone stock 5R. He just hands it to us with more authority now with a 284.

Cypriss32
05-04-2008, 9:52 PM
Hmm we will have to bring the 7 wizzum up..

Pthfndr
05-05-2008, 1:02 AM
I get jealous every time I see a picture of that range . . . so green, so manicured . . .

Give it a month, it will all be brown. And we only keep the firing line manicured so the High Power guys can see the rattle snakes coming. When you walk through the tall grass from one line to another, you are on your own.

ar15barrels
05-05-2008, 1:56 AM

And look at those target pits.
Cement slab to stand on and shade over your head... :eek:

Vu 308
05-05-2008, 7:58 AM
Yup. Notice the 0 shooting mats due to our 60 second prep times. Once all shooters are safely online prep time starts and targets come up if you are ready or not.

No time to lay down a spread like you are at a beach. For those of you that never shot with us...kit managment is key for keeping up with the pace.

Fred was going mach 2 yesterday from one line to the next.

jwdenny
05-05-2008, 8:38 AM
Fred was going mach 2 yesterday from one line to the next.

Yeah he was, it was great to get done so fast and get the BBQ started. Thanks to Fred, Rob, Shawn, and of course Vu for a great match this weekend.

Spaniard
05-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Twolf: I get jealous every time I see a picture of that range . . . so green, so manicured . . .

Yeah Bill I have to remind my fellow Match Director Buddy that he's living at the Magic Kingdom from time to time.

I just hope the cancer of urban sprawl doesn't head that direction because if it does, look out. We had a range that was in existance since the 40's shut down once the houses moved around the range. They all signed waivers knowing the range was there but that was worth about one roll of TP and down it went.

Yes Sacramento is a shooters paradise no doubt about it with ranges built specifically for rifle shooting, a key ingrediant for this long range game....

Ok Bill back to shooting beer bottles down the back allies in between the houses, set em' up...:eek:

Spaniard

Timberwolf
05-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Give it a month, it will all be brown. And we only keep the firing line manicured so the High Power guys can see the rattle snakes coming. When you walk through the tall grass from one line to another, you are on your own.

LOL - the buzzers are beginning to come out of hibernation at APS. Bob (my cohort in crime) killed a 4 foot female Pacific last week, she was pencil thin, but had 8 buttons on her tail. I saw two of the good kind this weekend (a Cal King and a Racer) heading toward our "snake area" hopefully they'll eat their share of buzzer babies.

Vu 308
05-05-2008, 1:04 PM
With all those muzzle brakes you guys should be able to scare most of the snakes away within a few hundred feet. LOL

Timberwolf
05-05-2008, 1:35 PM
You'd think but . . .

ar15barrels
05-05-2008, 1:38 PM
With all those muzzle brakes you guys should be able to scare most of the snakes away within a few hundred feet. LOL

I'll never forget when I found a rattler hiding in the shade of a small rock that was holding down one of our target stands DURING a 3gun stage.

1 round of 12ga dispatched the issue.

Vu 308
05-05-2008, 4:54 PM
Twolf: I get jealous every time I see a picture of that range . . . so green, so manicured . . .

Yeah Bill I have to remind my fellow Match Director Buddy that he's living at the Magic Kingdom from time to time.

I just hope the cancer of urban sprawl doesn't head that direction because if it does, look out. We had a range that was in existance since the 40's shut down once the houses moved around the range. They all signed waivers knowing the range was there but that was worth about one roll of TP and down it went.

Yes Sacramento is a shooters paradise no doubt about it with ranges built specifically for rifle shooting, a key ingrediant for this long range game....

Ok Bill back to shooting beer bottles down the back allies in between the houses, set em' up...:eek:

Spaniard

Man...remember the day you and the Frog came up and we were nothing but a bunch of bumkins to ya'll? Spaniard and Frog baid ASAP because the Frog won that day so he thought we were going to string ole frog up. LOL.

All jokes aside...clubs/matches and organizations grow due one major factor..it's shooters. Shooters make and break any group. Trigger pullers sometimes need to give up their spot on the line like TWolf and Spaniard to help a newbie out..get that fishie hooked.

We are truly lucky to have Sac Valley as our home range and even luckier to have the shooter base we have. From work parties to paying for equipment needed they are always there 100%.

Back to my country club range now...

Vu

PUFF
05-05-2008, 5:32 PM
What's This? Vu came in 3rd? I thought you guys had some training classes earlier. Didn't any of those guys learn anything?
Oh Sorry, MY BAD. Just noticed it was Vu 260 SISSY and not Vu 308 MAN GUN shooting. Is a name change in order?

Vu 308
05-05-2008, 6:10 PM
Tsk tsk old man.....have we forgotten to take our medication again?

Big talk for a man that shoots from a bench or the back truck of a SUV.....meaning a mechanical front rest. LOL

Yes...the KMW 260Rem is coming STRONG or maybe it was just plain luck. We'll see if I can keep up with those boys next month.

Now put the Insure milk can down and call Gre-Tan for me already. I need to get started on that next build.

Vu

PUFF
05-06-2008, 6:30 PM
Now you just had Terry build you that 260 on an Alpine action. And now you want me to call Greg to build you a tactical rig to almost BR standards. What action ya gonna use. Gap, Stiller, Borden, Surgeon, Bat, Nesika?
They must pay pretty good where you work. Buying 2 NEW CUSTOM RIGS IN ONE YEAR. With all the boolits and components for testing too. Oh, I forgot about how you test. No neck turning, testing different primers or powder combinations or bullets. Just get someone elses load data and guess your velocity.
It ain't gonna help. Cause if Marc S shoots next month. Ya probably be 4th or 5th anyways.

Vu 308
05-07-2008, 7:23 AM
Now now grampa.....

It will be off another Borden Alpine LH SA. 308win build. I am just slowly converting all my rigs over to LH.

And for your info it is not 2 custom rigs in on year. I started the Borden Alpine in December of 2006. Did not get the action till mid 2007. So that counts as a 2007 build.

This is my 2008 build since Jim said the action will not be here till Oct of this year. So in the mean time why don't you call Greg for your good Northern friend and get me a spot on his build schedule.

I just picked up a Stiller Tac 30, with Seekin 20MOA base, .30 recoil lug, and a RH Jewell Trigger with safety. I am going to sell it to one of the boys here and may pick up a another borden SA in magnum bolt face. >=)

rue
05-17-2008, 11:08 PM

Spaniard

Well I was told they don't allow 50 cal. rifles because of the noise it makes when I called them today. He said that the Rancho Murieta people complain. I think this is FUD but if it's really the reason it's a shame since they have pretty much the only 1000 yard range around Sac. :( I don't know why you say it's a shooter's paradise since they have the only long range range I know of. Everyone else is less than 500 yards...

Vu 308
05-18-2008, 7:29 AM
Sir,

If you are a member you can always try to rally the 50 cal guys to make a case...but you have to be members to really do something about it.

If you don't know why it's a shooters paradise then you haven't either really shot at Sac Valley or shot around at other ranges in CA or NV.

Vu

QuickOnTheDraw
05-18-2008, 8:38 AM
Well I was told they don't allow 50 cal. rifles because of the noise it makes when I called them today. He said that the Rancho Murieta people complain. I think this is FUD but if it's really the reason it's a shame since they have pretty much the only 1000 yard range around Sac. :( I don't know why you say it's a shooter's paradise since they have the only long range range I know of. Everyone else is less than 500 yards...

You live in Sac and haven't been to Sac Valley, and then complain about it because you can't shoot your new .50 DTC Serbu. You might want to try the 1000 yard range in Reno, they're .50 Cal friendly, or try some BLM land near you. If your a member at Sac Valley, which your should be because you live in Sac area, you'd be supporting the shooting community, and you'd have a vote in what you'd like to support. I live in the bay area and drive to 1:45 minutes to get to Sac Valley ONE way, thats how worth it is to me. Go check it out then complain, I don't think you'd have a thing to complain about, except you can't shoot your fifty.

rue
05-20-2008, 3:31 PM
You live in Sac and haven't been to Sac Valley, and then complain about it because you can't shoot your new .50 DTC Serbu. You might want to try the 1000 yard range in Reno, they're .50 Cal friendly, or try some BLM land near you. If your a member at Sac Valley, which your should be because you live in Sac area, you'd be supporting the shooting community, and you'd have a vote in what you'd like to support. I live in the bay area and drive to 1:45 minutes to get to Sac Valley ONE way, thats how worth it is to me. Go check it out then complain, I don't think you'd have a thing to complain about, except you can't shoot your fifty.

Well actually I have been there and supported them many times either shooting at their 100 yard range with my AR or using the .22 setup and going to IDPA there. I may not be a member but I'm certainly not going to join if they have a bunch of BS rules about 50's. Anything that shoots 1000 yards is going to make some noise. I don't see the difference. If they want support they shouldn't be making 50 shooters drive to Reno IMO.

rue
05-20-2008, 3:34 PM
Sir,

If you are a member you can always try to rally the 50 cal guys to make a case...but you have to be members to really do something about it.

If you don't know why it's a shooters paradise then you haven't either really shot at Sac Valley or shot around at other ranges in CA or NV.

Vu

Like I said above in my other reply they aren't getting a membership out of me if they are turning me away for bringing a 50.

wildcard
05-20-2008, 4:10 PM
Like I said above in my other reply they aren't getting a membership out of me if they are turning me away for bringing a 50.

I'm just your average shooter down in SoCal so this doesn't really apply to me. But just out of curiosity in case I one day shoot with you NorCal boys, what 1000+ yd range around you allowing 50s would you get a membership at? Never been to Sac Valley but I hear it's the cats as*. If there's something comparable + allows 50s.. I'd like to know where it is!

Vu 308
05-20-2008, 4:21 PM
Can't change the way a man feels but I truly believe it is one of the best places in the US to shoot.

I support any and all ranges no matter what.

If you a disagree on the rules and regs of the range join up and say something about it. As a member you have a vote and say.

If you don't vote, or try to do something about the situation..then you really don't have the right to b*tch.

:gunsmilie:+ buy a 308 or 300WM to shoot with us because most 308s will probably shoot rings around an out of the box 50 BMG anyways. LOL

Vu 308
05-20-2008, 4:25 PM
Jason, the nearest range is Reno man...and their range isn't as nice as Sac's IMO.

I don't think the military range in San Diego allows 50s even.

And to be honest I think the only reason why we do not allow them is because there hasn't been a real push.

A few guys that wanted to shoot our match wanted to bring out their 50s until I told them they had to carry all their gear and ammo for the entire course of fire.

+ shoot a 32lb rifle in positions other than prone......I never had those guys ask again. LOL

rue
05-20-2008, 4:31 PM
Can't change the way a man feels but I truly believe it is one of the best places in the US to shoot.

I support any and all ranges no matter what.

If you a disagree on the rules and regs of the range join up and say something about it. As a member you have a vote and say.

If you don't vote, or try to do something about the situation..then you really don't have the right to b*tch.

:gunsmilie:+ buy a 308 or 300WM to shoot with us because most 308s will probably shoot rings around an out of the box 50 BMG anyways. LOL

What about a .338 lapua? Is that too loud?

Timberwolf
05-20-2008, 4:32 PM
I only know of one range with 1K that allows them around here and thats the fifth Sunday of the month but if I had a choice between there or Saco I'd let the 50 sit in the closet.

Is the restriction up there at 30 cal or could you get away with a 338 Lapua or .408 Chey Tac

wildcard
05-20-2008, 4:33 PM
Jason, the nearest range is Reno man...and their range isn't as nice as Sac's IMO.

I don't think the military range in San Diego allows 50s even.

And to be honest I think the only reason why we do not allow them is because there hasn't been a real push.

A few guys that wanted to shoot our match wanted to bring out their 50s until I told them they had to carry all their gear and ammo for the entire course of fire.

+ shoot a 32lb rifle in positions other than prone......I never had those guys ask again. LOL

Sac Valley is plenty fine for me.. plus I don't even own a .50 :( What you guys need to do is open your matches up to the .338 Lapuas! The way I see it.. if it isn't limited to .30 Cal only.. it should be open up to everything! Ok.. I'm only half serious because I understand the stress on the steel targets etc when it applies.

rue
05-20-2008, 4:41 PM
Sac Valley is plenty fine for me.. plus I don't even own a .50 :( What you guys need to do is open your matches up to the .338 Lapuas! The way I see it.. if it isn't limited to .30 Cal only.. it should be open up to everything! Ok.. I'm only half serious because I understand the stress on the steel targets etc when it applies.

Problem is if you owned a 50 you won't want to shoot a smaller gun anymore.

Vu 308
05-20-2008, 5:52 PM
We actually run 338s on the 1K range since it is all paper.

No 338s on the steel unless I put in a YOU BREAK, YOU BUY policy in place.

Personal opinion only here....I don't see a problem with the 50s on the 1K range to be honest. The only thing I see is that if the 50cal bullet were to strike the uprights holding our frames...well lets just say we would have to stock a lot of 9 foot 2x4s.

And since it is normally the High Power group or my group doing repairs out there...I'd like to see a good solid group of serious 50 shooters push for it. A group that is willing to also put sweat and cash into the range to help maintain it. All the major disciplines at Sac Valley actually maintain alot of their own ranges. i.e. the IDPA guys take care of a lot of work on their ranges. I know Wayne, John and crew put A LOT of hard work in out there to keep that range looking sweet.

Until there is serious demand and push...it wont change...and so far..no go.

Vu

Vu 308
05-20-2008, 6:03 PM
Problem is if you owned a 50 you won't want to shoot a smaller gun anymore.

Ummmm I beg to differ. :) Let's just say I know.

+ If you knew better.....you wouldn't want a 50BMG for the long game. LOL

+ If you log as many rounds as we do in a season you may change your mind as well. Even hand loading its like 3.50 a pop or more with match grade components.

If you really want a good big bore...408Cheytac.

ar15barrels
05-20-2008, 7:01 PM
Ummmm I beg to differ. :) Let's just say I know.

+ If you knew better.....you wouldn't want a 50BMG for the long game. LOL

+ If you log as many rounds as we do in a season you may change your mind as well. Even hand loading its like 3.50 a pop or more with match grade components.

If you really want a good big bore...408Cheytac.

Actually, match grade handloads are more like $1.50 a round or less depending on powder.
CNC turned solid bullets for $88/100.
Primers are $26/100.
Powder is $50/100 rounds for brand new powder.
Good surplus powders are still available that get this down around $25/100 rounds.

Vu 308
05-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Actually, match grade handloads are more like $1.50 a round or less depending on powder.
CNC turned solid bullets for $88/100.
Primers are $26/100.
Powder is $50/100 rounds for brand new powder.
Good surplus powders are still available that get this down around $25/100 rounds.

Hmmm interesting...can you link me to those components?

Cause the guys I have talked to that shoot the BMGs in comp say its a lot more than that to shoot a 50 in 1000yard comps and be competitive.

Vu 308
05-20-2008, 10:11 PM
I've bought Hornady A-Max rounds for like 40.00 per 20 bullets. So 1.50 per loaded round is cheaper than surplus if my math is right.

ar15barrels
05-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Hmmm interesting...can you link me to those components?

Powder valley for new powder and primers.
GIbrass.com for surplus powders.
MrKubota for CNC turned bullets.

You mean to tell me you didn't stock up on the 750 vmax cosmetic blems a few years back for $12/20? :eek:

I'm loading M33 ball "plinking" ammo for 65 cents a round using components purchased a couple years ago.

Tacticalintervention
05-22-2008, 7:51 AM
Heck at one point I owned 5 50BMGs but that wore off fast. Something about makinga dust signature that any dummie can see a mile off limints my use of a 50BMG to 1000 plus yards.

I have owned 375 and 408 Chey Tacs and they are far more accurat than 50 BMGs. You can actually carry them and have enough ammo to feel you can inflict some pain.

But a 338 Lapua or good 300WM is about all anyone needs for real long rnage because most cant call wind or rnage close enough for a hit past a 1000 yards. Well many say they can but when wide awake and stress on them they are lucky to hit at 800 yards.