PDA

View Full Version : What spare parts should be kept on-hand?

gcvt
05-02-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm sure it's been discussed before but I couldn't find anything in a search.

I'm doing my first build and would like to know what kind of spares kit I should put together. Is there a list somewhere already...or perhaps a link to a previous thread on the subject?

I'd hate to be camping over Memorial Day (or any other time) and have something break with no spares on hand and no gun store nearby.

Thanks!

ocabj
05-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Spare parts for what?

gcvt
05-02-2008, 12:45 PM
For an AR.

maxicon
05-02-2008, 12:47 PM
My preferred method of spares stocking for important guns (like SHTF hardware) is to have 2 just alike...

One of the great things about ARs is you can swap uppers and lowers easily, so you can recover from almost anything that goes wrong if you have 2 of them, even in different configurations.

ocabj
05-02-2008, 1:10 PM
If you want to make it easy on yourself, a complete bolt and bolt carrier is nice to have as a spare. After that, if something breaks, then you just weren't mean to shoot that day.

All I keep in my range cart is a complete bolt along with some spare firing pins, cotter pins, and bolt cam pins. If I break a trigger, hammer, sear, etc, then that's God's way of telling me it's not my day to win the match.

ldivinag
05-02-2008, 1:14 PM
a spare AR?????

;)

agental1934
05-02-2008, 1:48 PM
Just my two copper heads...but when a spare AR is unavailable, I would say an extra complete LPK (about $50 to $60) and an extra complete BCG (about $150 to $200).

Nothing else on the AR platform will likely fail unless your weapon system gets run over by a semi truck.

If you are using glass, especially those that require batteries, BUIS are always good to have mounted or readily available. Also, you can never have enough extra quality magazines and quality ammunition.

G17GUY
05-02-2008, 2:23 PM
http://lanworldinc.com/LowerPartsKits.htm

field repair kit?:confused:

NRAhighpowershooter
05-02-2008, 3:12 PM
don;t have too many spare on hand.. otherwise you'll be too temped to yuse them for another build... then you'll need more spares and then yet another build.. it's a viscious circle I tell ya!!!:eek:

trinydex
05-02-2008, 5:55 PM
a spare AR?????

;)

do they still call that a new york reload if it's a rifle?

gcvt
05-03-2008, 12:39 AM
don;t have too many spare on hand.. otherwise you'll be too temped to yuse them for another build... then you'll need more spares and then yet another build.. it's a viscious circle I tell ya!!!:eek:

LOL, that's what I'm afraid of! :eek:

Blacktail 8541
05-03-2008, 8:00 AM
A complete bolt and fireing pin are the sensable minimum. Those are the most likely parts to have a failure.

glockman19
05-03-2008, 8:17 AM
I keep on hand an extra bolt carrier, pins & springs and firing pin.

Rocko
05-03-2008, 9:54 AM
A complete bolt and fireing pin are the sensable minimum. Those are the most likely parts to have a failure.

What he said as well as a hammer spring and a front sight post.