PDA

View Full Version : What's the forums opinion on these uppers?

muntz
05-02-2008, 8:26 AM
Would like to know what the forum thinks about these uppers from Gunbroker. I wrote to the guy selling them and this is what he said:

I used the Ceiner design and designed this upper and had a local machine shop make the parts. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thanks,

Dan

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=98731029

69Mach1
05-02-2008, 8:40 AM
Wow, nice find. These work with the black dog mags right?

DrunkSkunk
05-02-2008, 8:55 AM
ciener/bdm pretty much samesame

TopGun2000
05-02-2008, 10:42 AM
WOW, a nice find. BOHICA in 22lr world. :rolleyes:

alpha_romeo_XV
05-02-2008, 11:46 AM
A few comments, depending on how you want to configure/shoot the final assembly.

1. The A2 front sight will be visible through a typical scope mounted on the flat top upper – not good. If you look at his bottom photo, he put a carry handle on the flat top, then a scope on top of that, to clear the front sight. That is parallax waiting to happen (you will not get a consistent cheek weld with a scope that high) unless you add a cheek piece to the stock or you’re not concerned about good shot groups. If you want to go iron sights then OK. I just went through changing out a front sight to solve this problem. I prefer to have removable front and rear sight configuration, to make it all iron or just scope, not some half baked combination.

2. The carbon upper receiver looks a lot like the bushmaster carbon upper, so it uses a standard charging handle. My BM carbon upper does NOT fit most of my lowers - front and rear pivot holes slightly too far apart.

3. I don’t have a ceiner kit, I have a CZ V22 that was designed more from the ground up as a rimfire blow back mechanism w charging handle is on the side. The problem I have now after many rounds through the magazines is the last round usually stove pipes and FTF. Also there is no bolt hold open on the last shot. It does have a removable front sight so I can go scope or iron cleanly.

The V22 is lower gun on the Ace stock, you can see clean sight line when scoped and reasonable cheek weld. The carbon upper on top is 5.56 cal but similar in all other respects to the 22 upper you’re interested in.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182/wiskeypapa57/ARcarbineset.jpg

muntz
05-02-2008, 3:56 PM
For the price, would this be worth purchasing?

I'm not looking for high accuracy expectations. I just want to be able to hit a golf ball at around 25 yards or so. And plink with cheeper 22lr ammo.

Fjold
05-02-2008, 4:02 PM
I emailed the guy and I'm going to order one.

Where can I get magazines?

aplinker
05-02-2008, 4:17 PM
Black Dog Machine

There's a seller in the commercial forum who's pretty reasonable on them now.