PDA

View Full Version : .243 to a .308

cope113
05-02-2008, 8:15 AM
Can I change out the barrel of my .243 to a .308 and be safe or is there more to the conversion? the rifle is a remmy 700. as far as I can tell the .243 is a wildcat from the .308 but the differences are in case mouth diameter and length and of course the shoulder angle. but isn't that all in the barrel?

Timberwolf
05-02-2008, 8:51 AM
The answer is yes you can switch barrels - the 243 is a necked down 308

cope113
05-02-2008, 9:06 AM
thank you very much.:cool:

Fjold
05-02-2008, 9:26 AM
The 243 is not a wildcat, it is a SAAMI standardized cartridge developed by Winchester in the 1950's.

Since you are working on a Remington you just have to have a gunsmith install the barrel and set the headspace. The magazine and everything else will all work with no changes.

ar15barrels
05-02-2008, 6:47 PM
As a reference, the following cartridges are all based on the 308 and are easy conversions from one to another...

243 Winchester
260 Remington
7-08 Remington
308 Winchester
338 Federal
358 Winchester

All use the same cartridge case body dimensions with the main differences being the neck and bullet diameters.
The shoulder is the same so the necks get shorter and shorter as the bullets get bigger and bigger.

rksimple
05-02-2008, 8:48 PM
Make sure you check the headspace. You may get lucky and have one scew on there and be set correctly, but its not the norm. If you don't feel comfortable with it, take it to a smith.

Splinter
05-02-2008, 9:02 PM
Make sure you check the headspace. You may get lucky and have one scew on there and be set correctly, but its not the norm. If you don't feel comfortable with it, take it to a smith.

A smith will have to do the work. It will not "screw on" and be set correctly. This isnt a savage.

rksimple
05-02-2008, 9:13 PM
A smith will have to do the work. It will not "screw on" and be set correctly. This isnt a savage.

It doesn't happen often, but you can get lucky and have the headspace set upon torquing the barrel down (this would only be with a factory take off bbl). I'm fully aware he's not talking about a savage.

Chances are great a smith will have to do the work. If its a prechambered and threaded factory take off barrel, have it chopped and pushed forward to straighten out the chamber. Might want to have the receiver trued up at the same time. If its a blank, unless you're an excellent machinist with some smithing knowledge, it'll have to go to a smith.

RegularLT1
05-02-2008, 10:25 PM
What are the approximate costs for having a barrel installed? What about having a machinist true up the action? I have almost the exact same situation, except on a long action.

rksimple
05-02-2008, 10:55 PM
What are the approximate costs for having a barrel installed? What about having a machinist true up the action? I have almost the exact same situation, except on a long action.

Anywhere from 200-500 bucks, depending on whats done, plus the cost of the barrel blank. Check out R+D Precision, GA Precision, norcal precision, etc. to get an idea of what prices are.

dw1784
05-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Anywhere from 200-500 bucks, depending on whats done, plus the cost of the barrel blank. Check out R+D Precision, GA Precision, norcal precision, etc. to get an idea of what prices are.

...what he said...or depending on budget or skill of the user, he may not need to have that high dollar precision rifle from those above mentioned riflesmith's. Buy a barrel from midway for ~$100 and get it installed. It's accurate enough for most people.

A better solution is buy a new rifle. Save the 243 and develope a pet load for it. You may find it's comparable(or better) than a 308.

cope113
05-03-2008, 4:37 PM
I want to thank everyone for their input. Once again you have all been very helpful.:)