PDA

View Full Version : Planning first build; what sights?

gkra
05-02-2008, 12:08 AM
Hello, all. New here, and planning my first OLL build, and wondering what people tend to prefer for sights?

Trying to figure out what to put on my rifle.

So far, the (CA-Legal) build will be:

Mega Gator Lower
RRA Lower kit w/ NM 2-stage trigger
RRA Upper Assy (Varmint A4, 20")
U-15 buttstock & buffer kit
C-Product 10rnd mag

I haven't a clue what sights to mount on it, though.

Thanks!

Deadred7o7
05-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Just for the sake of asking why are you going to but BUIS on a Varmint upper?

aplinker
05-02-2008, 12:47 AM
If it's your only AR I can understand BUIS, but if you're building a varmint rifle I'd skip'em. Save the $ to put toward a good scope/mount.

Troy is the answer for best flip sights, though since you're talking about a long range rifle, the KAC 600m sight might be a better choice, or the Matech on the cheap.

gkra
05-02-2008, 2:03 AM
If it's your only AR I can understand BUIS, but if you're building a varmint rifle I'd skip'em. Save the $ to put toward a good scope/mount.

Troy is the answer for best flip sights, though since you're talking about a long range rifle, the KAC 600m sight might be a better choice, or the Matech on the cheap.

Hmm. Well, I am a newbie, and I've got your "are you a noob" link up in another window right now and thinking I should have read a bit further before posting this. :43:

Now that I've read (and re-read) that thoroughly...

This will be my first (and, for now, only) AR, and I'm thinking that maybe the Varmint upper is the wrong choice, as I'm planning on using this against paper, not ... well, varmints. Additionally, based on the recommendations in the noob page, I think I'll go with a 16" barrel instead of 20". Baby steps.

I'll look up the Troy sights...

I definitely want to make sure I get my research done (and corrected :) ) before I place any orders. I want to be happy with the rifle I end up with.

Thanks!

gkra
05-02-2008, 2:58 AM
Hmm. Well, I am a newbie, and I've got your "are you a noob" link up in another window right now and thinking I should have read a bit further before posting this. :43:

Now that I've read (and re-read) that thoroughly...

Back to sights...

Okay, I think I might instead modify my original plan, and build this instead:

Mega Gator Lower
RRA Lower kit w/ NM 2-stage trigger
RRA CAR A4 Upper Assy. (16" 1:9, Chrome-lined, A2 front sight)
U-15 buttstock & buffer kit
C-Product 10rnd mag(s)
A.R.M.S. #40L or Troy sights

If I do go with Troy, will I need only the rear sight, or do I need to replace the A2-style front sight with the troy front sight? And if I do that, do I need to replace the gas block, too?

Thanks again.

rob408
05-02-2008, 6:17 AM
I would go with the ARMS 40L, that way you don't have to change your front blocks (I don't think you'll have to change it even if you go with the Troy). I've built a Stag 2HT with the front block and ARMS 40. If this is going to be your AR for a while and you have some money to spare, I would suggest you get the Stag 2HT upper...it comes with the FF rails.

Booshanky
05-02-2008, 6:44 AM
I got some GG&G spring loaded flip front and rear sights and they're built really well. I don't have my upper yet but just fiddling around with them I'm really impressed.

UCLAplinker, how do the Troy sights compare to the GG&G?

gkra
05-02-2008, 8:34 AM
I would go with the ARMS 40L, that way you don't have to change your front blocks (I don't think you'll have to change it even if you go with the Troy). I've built a Stag 2HT with the front block and ARMS 40. If this is going to be your AR for a while and you have some money to spare, I would suggest you get the Stag 2HT upper...it comes with the FF rails.

Hmm. Looks like it also comes with the ARMS 40L, at least from the vendor I'm looking at (coldwarshooters.net). That kind of negates the price difference, as I was going to have to add the sight to the RRA upper.

What's the practical difference between the RRA CAR A4 and the Stag 2HT? Is it mainly build quality?

I do note that the RRA unit is chambered .223/5.58, whereas the Stag is listed only as 5.58. Is this a real difference, or are .223 and 5.58 interchangeable (this is something I'm still not sure on.) Does it really matter, in a practical sense, when choosing one over the other?

Thanks for helping the noob. :)

gkra
05-02-2008, 10:11 AM
I would suggest you get the Stag 2HT upper...it comes with the FF rails.

Ah, one other question (perhaps showing my ignorance): is the flash suppressor that comes with the upper CA-legal, or do I need to replace it with a muzzle brake/compensator? Given that I'm going with a U-15 stock, does it really matter?

Dirtbiker
05-02-2008, 10:33 AM
If you are going with the u-15 and are going to be using detachable mags you must remove the flash hider or replace it with a brake.

rob408
05-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Ah, one other question (perhaps showing my ignorance): is the flash suppressor that comes with the upper CA-legal, or do I need to replace it with a muzzle brake/compensator? Given that I'm going with a U-15 stock, does it really matter?

I've never had a problem with the flash suppressor. It is a 16" barrel so I've never looked into it. The local vender sold it as it was, so I'm thinking it doesn't have to be changed out.

I think the other guy answered your question re: the U15 stock. BTW, I have the GG&G front and rear sights on a flat top set up and they are excellent. The only drawback is that they are pretty expensive. Good luck.

aplinker
05-02-2008, 2:58 PM
Booshanky: The latest version of the GGG rear sight is excellent. Their older version wasn't quite as "low proflle" and had difficulty mounting under optics.

OP: I would rather see you get a mid-length gas 16" upper from just about anyone than a carbine Stag. Stags are decent rifles, but the carbine gas system often needs some tuning and, in general, is just harder on the rifle. RRA mid-length would be ideal
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=266
CMMG is excellent, too.

Just make sure it's a chrome lined barrel.

gkra
05-02-2008, 3:06 PM
uclaplinker: What do you mean by "tuning"?

Also, what's the difference between the mid-length upper you linked to (the A4, AR0375X), and the CAR A4 (AR0325X) upper? I take it CAR is carbine?

They're both 16" 1:9 chrome-lined .223/5.58, with an A2 front-sight and a top rail. I'm trying to learn. :)

Thanks.

aplinker
05-02-2008, 3:22 PM
http://www.ar15barrels.com/prod/gas-systems.shtml

Those are the different gas lengths.

The pressure in carbine gas systems is really high, and the dwell time is short. It's less an issue with non-FA rifles, but it's still hard on them and can cause issues. There are all sorts of "fixes" (heavier buffers, stronger extractors, tunable gas blocks, etc. etc.), but switching to a mid-length gas system is far easier and essentially cures the problem. You also get the advantage of a longer sight radius.

gkra
05-02-2008, 3:31 PM
http://www.ar15barrels.com/prod/gas-systems.shtml

Those are the different gas lengths.

*ding* and comprehension sets in.

Thanks for the patience! :43: