PDA

View Full Version : bipods

Ballistic043
05-01-2008, 3:58 PM
just purchased a harris BRM swiveling bipod. i have never used a swiveling bipod or any bipod before for that matter. i am kind of lost here

the swiveling bipod is supposed to be a handy feature. but i am not getting it. isnt the point of impact affected by swivel angle? so then wouldnt a swiveling bipod make your shots go all over the place? for example, lets say i am bench rest shooting and the rifle/bipod is perfectly level; crosshairs perfectly vertical/horizontal, shooting dead center. if the bipod then cants left or right, is the Point of impact move away from the X hair or move with it? in other words if im shooting dead zero at a flat angle, what happens when the angle is moved a few degrees? i dont know maybe the dumbest question in the world but i am freakin tired..

5150Marcelo
05-01-2008, 4:01 PM
By the time the round is fired and there is any movement, the round has left the barrel and hit the target. Any movement you see/ feel shouldnt affect anything that matters after that.
But, if you dont want it, and you wanna sell it at a discounted price...
:Ivan:

ohsmily
05-01-2008, 4:16 PM
just purchased a harris BRM swiveling bipod. i have never used a swiveling bipod or any bipod before for that matter. i am kind of lost here

the swiveling bipod is supposed to be a handy feature. but i am not getting it. isnt the point of impact affected by swivel angle? so then wouldnt a swiveling bipod make your shots go all over the place? for example, lets say i am bench rest shooting and the rifle/bipod is perfectly level; crosshairs perfectly vertical/horizontal, shooting dead center. if the bipod then cants left or right, is the Point of impact move away from the X hair or move with it? in other words if im shooting dead zero at a flat angle, what happens when the angle is moved a few degrees? i dont know maybe the dumbest question in the world but i am freakin tired..

If you are only shooting from the bench, then why the heck did you get a swivel model. The swivel model is to help you easily level your rifle when you are shooting on an uneven surface. Yes, point of impact can and will be affected by the cant of the rifle, that is the whole point of the swivel, to level your rifle when resting on a sloped surface.

Ballistic043
05-01-2008, 4:20 PM
um because not all benches are level

WhiteDingo
05-01-2008, 4:22 PM
And it will. Just make sure the bipod is locked in the position you want it to be at when you shoot. They make those "pod locks" to make it easier to lock the bipod in place.

ETA: Hey, you changed your post! Now I look like a doofus, responding to a statement that isn't there! :)

Timberwolf
05-01-2008, 4:23 PM
get a podloc, that way you can lock it down when in position, but once you get used to it you'll learn to hold it steady for each shot.

Ballistic043
05-01-2008, 4:26 PM
well i kinda wish i would have done more research. i guess ill just keep it for slopes, get another one for flat shooting. obviously i can lock this one down for non swivel function, with a podlock, but what guarantee do i have that it will remain in that position throughout the day, compared to a non swiveling.

damnit. i hate buying on compulsions! shark can you take this thing back :) lol

5150Marcelo
05-01-2008, 4:28 PM
What lengths?

ohsmily
05-01-2008, 4:28 PM
um because not all benches are level

First of all, that isn't a very good bench then.

Second, if you are going to be shooting from the same, known, uneven spot for an extended period, you can adjust the legs to the appropriate height using the standard leg height adjustment without paying for the more expensive swivel.

Also, when using a pod-lock, if you crank it down, you can be assured it will be locked pretty well without worrying about it.

It doesn't hurt to have the better equipment (swivel bipod with pod-lock) and now you have the swivel ability for sloped surfaces. However, had you known ahead of time that you would always be shooting from a bench, perhaps the non-swivel would have been a better choice. Just get another bipod so you have two ;)

Ballistic043
05-01-2008, 4:30 PM
What lengths?

6 to 9

BRM model

70 bucks anyone? lol

USN CHIEF
05-01-2008, 4:41 PM
6 to 9

BRM model

70 bucks anyone? lol

Shipped?

5150Marcelo
05-01-2008, 4:44 PM
gettin warmer

Ballistic043
05-01-2008, 4:57 PM
hmm. actually i change my mind guys. i think this has a place on a varminter build im working on. ill just get a non swiveling for the AR. its only like 60 bucks

IGOTDIRT4U
05-01-2008, 5:02 PM
actually guys sorry i changed my mind. instead of lose money by selling it cheaper, i am just going to keep it for a future varminter rifle or something where angled shooting is more inclined to happen.

i am kicking myself for not doing more research but mistakes do happen.

im going to get the non swiveling from harrisbipods.com

Don't worry about it. First, it should work for most range work with the Ar.

Second, most rifle shooters, like Rem 700 Pss and Kimber 8400 shooters, not to mention all the custom sniper jobs out there, prefer the swivel BiPod. I know I do. Even hunters will use the swivel over fixed base, if they are not using a shooting stick instead.

So, keep it, you will most likely need it. And will like it.

shark92651
05-01-2008, 5:05 PM
hmm. actually i change my mind guys. i think this has a place on a varminter build im working on. ill just get a non swiveling for the AR. its only like 60 bucks

I was gonna say you haven't even used it yet and your ready to take a hit on selling it? :D

Ballistic043
05-01-2008, 5:23 PM
by the way shark thanks for meeting us today you are a good guy to deal with :)

IGOTDIRT4U your right. i will probably need it some day; and it would probably be the day after i sold it out of stupidity!

ill just keep it around you know. more rifles to come in the future, which will need more bipods :)

thanks for the help and reassurance guys

IGOTDIRT4U
05-01-2008, 5:57 PM
it would probably be the day after i sold it out of stupidity!

Been there, still doing that. :eek:

ar15barrels
05-01-2008, 6:44 PM
well i kinda wish i would have done more research. i guess ill just keep it for slopes, get another one for flat shooting. obviously i can lock this one down for non swivel function, with a podlock, but what guarantee do i have that it will remain in that position throughout the day, compared to a non swiveling.

Get a level on your gun to watch for cant.
This is the only way you can reliably adjust to level anyways.
Your bipod is just fine.
Go shoot with it.

aplinker
05-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Get a level on your gun to watch for cant.
This is the only way you can reliably adjust to level anyways.
Your bipod is just fine.
Go shoot with it.

+1

I'm in total agreement here. You're going to appreciate having it at some point and you'll never regret it's there - especially if you get the Podloc. There's really no downside.

Ballistic043
05-01-2008, 10:47 PM
where is a good place to get a decent set of levelers?

i am using a leupold VXI 4-12x40mm

ar15barrels
05-02-2008, 2:51 AM
where is a good place to get a decent set of levelers?

I use one like this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=498458&t=11082005

Whitesmoke
05-02-2008, 5:09 PM
Wanna trade me your bipod for my non-swiveling harris bipod?

trinydex
05-02-2008, 5:48 PM
if you have a podlock it won't move.

i recently got a bipod with one, it's a pretty damn cool feature.

aplinker
05-02-2008, 5:53 PM
Wanna trade me your bipod for my non-swiveling harris bipod?

ha ha... I'd make that trade, too! :) I'm pretty sure he'll see the advantages.

Whitesmoke
05-02-2008, 8:33 PM

:D I'm sure he will......but you never know unless you ask! LOL....

jandmtv
05-02-2008, 10:29 PM
does midway sell podlocks? i cant seem to find one on their site.

Ballistic043
05-03-2008, 5:22 AM

sorry. i already stated that i changed my mind! i think its much better to have one of each no?

dont be fooled, im usually not this slow :)

does midway sell podlocks? i cant seem to find one on their site.

do not pay for a podlock. it is an expensive and over priced lever. nothing more

heres a little secret for us 'swiveling' bipod owners.

https://t-nuts.com/index.php?cPath=73

almost the same exact thing for 5 dollars. this specific lever is much cheaper and reportedly stronger than the podlock

http://t-nuts.com/product_info.php?cPath=73&products_id=226&osCsid=39c43539e285624a9b5bc32a1effe524

you will also need a steel 3/16 spacer