PDA

View Full Version : Fellow Sacramento-ians! Attention!

Bizcuits
04-30-2008, 7:01 PM
On May 7th at 6PM, the candidates for Mayor will be up debating.

I want to see if we can bring the topic of CCW's up and get a comment. As many know the current Sheriff promised to be CCW friendly, but he hasn't. The rumor has been the politics in Sacramento are preventing him from issuing CCW's.

If you visit;

http://www.news10.net/news/politics_govt/2008-vote/sacramento_mayor.aspx

They have an email link where you can send in questions for the Debate.

You can also directly email your questions to vote2008@news10.net

PLEASE form your own CCW questions and submit them! Even if you aren't in Sacramento, please submit a CCW debate question.

Thank!
- Bizcuits

Shane916
04-30-2008, 8:18 PM
I don't want to criticize the effort but the mayor of the city really has little to no political influence on the Sheriff and CCW's :)

rue
04-30-2008, 8:19 PM
I don't want to criticize the effort but the mayor of the city really has little to no political influence on the Sheriff and CCW's :)

+1 I agree

Bizcuits
04-30-2008, 8:26 PM

Well, I respectfully disagree. Any major political figure who supports the 2nd Amendment and supports CCW's is a good thing. Instead of having a case of the "***K its" it'd be nice to try and get someone on our side for once.

MrTuffPaws
04-30-2008, 8:43 PM
The Sheriff turned out to be just like the last one. Considering he worked for him before ran for election should tell you something. Any of you that voted for him all I can say is....tisk tisk.

Glock22Fan
05-01-2008, 7:02 AM

So, is Mayor Bloomberg completely irrelevant?

tgriffin
05-01-2008, 9:01 AM

Mr. Shane is quite right unfortunately. What most people don't realize is that "mayor" can be a more symbolic position than anything depending upon how the city government was chartered. More often than not, the real power lies with a city council or city administrator, to which a mayor can make appointments or even serve as chairman of.

Based on my experience working closely with local government agencies, there are several different levels at which policy, such as CCW issuance, need to be in the good graces of and be blessed before people will stick their political necks to implement them. Everything gets flown by either city or county general counsel (head lawyer in charge). Without their support, stuff dies on the vine almost instantly. With general counsel endorsement, policy will usually be reviewed by the city council. The bottom line for them will be fiscal impact (general liability already being addressed by general counsel), i.e. what is this going to cost us or will it generate revenue. PR concerns will also be taken into account.

Without support from city general counsel, city council, AND mayor I cant see a Sheriff enacting a policy as controversial (to pinko commie liberals) as CCW unless he doesnt value his political career and departmental budget.

Glock22Fan
05-01-2008, 9:14 AM
2E8B,

You seem to be trying to have it both ways. You start by agreeing with Shane that the mayor has no power, then you say he/she often makes appointments to the city council that does have power (so the mayor has the power to heavily influence the city council) then you finish by saying "Without support by . . . AND mayor . . ." which also supports the idea that the mayor has influence.

And, to add to my earlier point, do you not think that both Mayor Bloomberg, but also Mayor Daley (and others), have a lot of influence over anything to do with firearms? And if there's a mayor, there may also be a PD able to issue CCW's. Who picks the CLEO? I believe Guilliani picked Willie Bratton at one time? No influence? pu-lease.

CSDGuy
05-01-2008, 9:25 AM
A city Mayor can influence things a bit. How much influence that Mayor has depends upon exactly how his/her office is chartered. If whomever becomes Mayor of the CITY of Sacramento decides to make CCW an issue while in office, it is possible that the City of Sacramento could make it City Policy and direct the Police Chief to issue CCW's. If Police Chief does not, then Police Chief could be replaced. Unlike Sheriffs, which are elected, Police Chiefs are usually appointed and as such, can be removed by the appointing body.

The City of Sacramento has not and will not "Declare G" because of their own issues.

Sheriff McGinness is currently hamstrung by local politics. It will be more telling what happens after he gets re-elected as to whether or not CCW issuance policies get loosened because there is a power base here that wants to keep CCWs as a basically exclusive thing. This, of course, assumes that nothing changes in the legal arena... which it will. Change happens whether we like it or not...

Glock22Fan
05-01-2008, 9:40 AM
A city Mayor can influence things a bit. How much influence that Mayor has depends upon exactly how his/her office is chartered. If whomever becomes Mayor of the CITY of Sacramento decides to make CCW an issue while in office, it is possible that the City of Sacramento could make it City Policy and direct the Police Chief to issue CCW's. If Police Chief does not, then Police Chief could be replaced. Unlike Sheriffs, which are elected, Police Chiefs are usually appointed and as such, can be removed by the appointing body.

The City of Sacramento has not and will not "Declare G" because of their own issues.

Sheriff McGinness is currently hamstrung by local politics. It will be more telling what happens after he gets re-elected as to whether or not CCW issuance policies get loosened because there is a power base here that wants to keep CCWs as a basically exclusive thing. This, of course, assumes that nothing changes in the legal arena... which it will. Change happens whether we like it or not...

Exactly so.

Bizcuits
05-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Exactly so.

So why not at least try to get some CCW friendly people in the offices around here?

sirfonners
05-01-2008, 1:58 PM
Even if the mayor isnt going to have a huge affect on the CCW laws
its always good to have a friend in the office, and I am sure in some way
a mayor who is supportive, while might not make a big difference, will make a small one. and small is better than none :gunsmilie:

Glock22Fan
05-01-2008, 3:09 PM
So why not at least try to get some CCW friendly people in the offices around here?

The more the better, I say.

Bizcuits
05-03-2008, 2:17 AM
BUMP