PDA

View Full Version : Selling to Out of State person

vf111
04-30-2008, 4:25 PM
So a guy from Delaware bought the BM69 I recently had on the FS forum and he sends me a photocopy (not wet-signed) copy of his 01FFL dealerís FFL. I know a fax, scan or photocopy is OK when both parties are 01FFLís but I always thought if one party is not an 01FFL a wet-signed copy is required. The buyer is insisting that is no longer the case and a photocopy is OK. Is he correct? Iíve never sent a rifle out of state before without a wet-signed FFL. TIA.

Fjold
04-30-2008, 4:27 PM
I've sent handguns out of state on a photocopy. Go to the BATF's site and verify the license is current.

Dump1567
04-30-2008, 4:29 PM
If it's a current valid FFL, I don't see a problem.

https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

vf111
04-30-2008, 4:32 PM
Yes- it is a current license (expires May 2009) according to the EZcheck.

redcliff
04-30-2008, 4:48 PM
Sounds highly illegal and dangerous! I suggest you sell it to me instead!

JK, but I wish it was staying in state and I had seen it sooner before it sold.

vf111
04-30-2008, 5:04 PM
Yeah, I would've preferred a local sale but no takers. Luckily it is a CA legal rifle like an M1A so if you can find one it can be shipped into the state.

hawk1
04-30-2008, 5:07 PM
This may not be the case with you, but be sure you ship only to the address on the license. Most know this, but I wouldn't put it past a bad guy to suggest it to get around the FFL.

EOD Guy
05-01-2008, 8:55 AM
So a guy from Delaware bought the BM69 I recently had on the FS forum and he sends me a photocopy (not wet-signed) copy of his 01FFL dealerís FFL. I know a fax, scan or photocopy is OK when both parties are 01FFLís but I always thought if one party is not an 01FFL a wet-signed copy is required. The buyer is insisting that is no longer the case and a photocopy is OK. Is he correct? Iíve never sent a rifle out of state before without a wet-signed FFL. TIA.

There is no legal requirement for an unlicensed shipper to have any copy of the receiving dealer's FFL. Verifying the FFL on the BATF eZCheck web site is sufficient.