PDA

View Full Version : I see a lot of AR and AK builds here?

smittty
04-30-2008, 10:17 AM
You guys have me thinking they are easy to do and legal. I would love to have an AR but I thought they were not legal unless the mag was fixed and needed to be loaded from the top.

Thanks for your help,

Prc329
04-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Do a little searching threw the forum, check the link to the AW flow chart up top. There are ways to have an AR/AK and remove the magazine. You can not have a detachable magazine and any of the evil features (flash hider/pistol grip/adjustable stock). A bayonet log is not an evil feature per CA law.

You can have evil features if you use some sort of mag locking device. That be a old style prince 50 where it has a set screw and need to be loaded form the top or a Bullet button device where a tool is needed to remove the magazine (a cartridge is a tool). With the use of a bullet button the former detachable magazine becomes an attachable magazine since you can not readily remove the mag without using some sort of tool. Also go by the general rule that if it is attached to the rifle it is not a tool so no attaching devices to the rifle to facilitate the removal of the mag. Riflegear.com sells a nice key chain like belt clip thingy that looks to be a good way to remove the mags. I just use an allen wrench set I keep in my bag.

Hopi
04-30-2008, 10:48 AM
You guys have me thinking they are easy to do and legal. I would love to have an AR but I thought they were not legal unless the mag was fixed and needed to be loaded from the top.

Thanks for your help,

The best thing to do is memorize SB-23, find the lists of prohibited firearms, and then buy EVERY gun that is not on those lists......

You just opened the Pandora's Box of CA firearm goodness. Have fun!

This is our cheat sheet.....
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

aplinker
04-30-2008, 10:50 AM
My signature links to a builder post, but read through the 1st post of that thread there for legality issues

This is also very helpful:
http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=ar15

hoozaru
04-30-2008, 12:45 PM
the top loading ones sold by Evans may not be legal since bushmaster lower is on the CA DOJ assult weapon ban list. ;)

Prc329
04-30-2008, 1:00 PM
the top loading ones sold by Evans and Turners may not be legal since bushmaster lower is on the CA DOJ assult weapon ban list. ;)

The turners ones are legal. The are a different model then the ones banned. Carbon 15 is not listed. XM15 is the listed name.