PDA

View Full Version : Training and optics for M1A?

MobCounty
04-30-2008, 9:04 AM
Hey guys,
I'm really interested in adding some optics to my M1A. What is the best all around choice if I expect to do some training with it? I figure I have to decide between a glass type choice like a leopold, or an illuminated type choice like an Acog.

To put things into perspective, my goal is to eventually take some battle/combat rifle training courses. Also, does anyone have any experience with a good course?

I did read this article

http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=1050

It has some great info, but I still need a sense of which courses that people like and what types of optics they used.

Thanks,
MC

Sumo99
04-30-2008, 9:12 AM
If you decide to go with the ACOG, there are only 2 scope mounts (that I can think of) that will give you the proper eye relief. Smith Enterprises ACOG Mount and GDI.

Prc329
04-30-2008, 9:18 AM
I don't personally know anyone that has used an M1A during any of these courses.

That being said an Acog is not the best choice for an M1A. eye relief will be an issue. What model M1A is it? You will probably want to get something in the 1-4x range as well as a good solid scope mount like the Smith industries or the Sadlak.

Casual Observer
04-30-2008, 9:23 AM
Ditto the above. An ACOG will give you eye relief problems.

Are you going to mount the optic over the receiver or on a scout mount (ie- M1A Scout or Socom?)

aplinker
04-30-2008, 10:49 AM
The TA11 series (3.5X) don't have the eye relief issues (still need to be mounted in a scope mount).

MaceWindu
04-30-2008, 10:58 AM
I have done quite a bit of training with my Fulton Armory M14 Bush. My recommendation?:

Aimpoint CompM2 or M3
LaRue Tactical Comp M2/M3 RAS II Mount QD LT-152 (low mount)
Arms #18

Great combination.

Mace

Hey guys,
I'm really interested in adding some optics to my M1A. What is the best all around choice if I expect to do some training with it? I figure I have to decide between a glass type choice like a leopold, or an illuminated type choice like an Acog.

To put things into perspective, my goal is to eventually take some battle/combat rifle training courses. Also, does anyone have any experience with a good course?

I did read this article

http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=1050

It has some great info, but I still need a sense of which courses that people like and what types of optics they used.

Thanks,
MC

Prc329
04-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Mace I'm glad you popped in. I didn't know anyone using an M1A for training. Just about everyone I have know that does these types of classes takes an Ar15 type rifle.

MaceWindu
04-30-2008, 11:34 AM
Mace I'm glad you popped in. I didn't know anyone using an M1A for training. Just about everyone I have know that does these types of classes takes an Ar15 type rifle.

Most do, but I have a Fulton Bush built by the M14 guru, Ted Brown. It runs great and the M1A is gtg...

Luckily the M1A and AK have the same manual of arms, if you can run one you can run the other. The only thing that hold most back now is the cost of .308 ammo. A bit pricey unless you roll your own.

Mace

MobCounty
04-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Man, great stuff I'm still reading but I wanted to get a pic out of my setup as soon as possible. It's exactly the same as this.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/spr_ma9104.jpg

I plan on modding it as needed for the best optics in my situation.

MobCounty
04-30-2008, 12:15 PM
I have done quite a bit of training with my Fulton Armory M14 Bush. My recommendation?:

Aimpoint CompM2 or M3
LaRue Tactical Comp M2/M3 RAS II Mount QD LT-152 (low mount)
Arms #18

Great combination.

Mace

Man, thanks for the insight, I hope there is a pic here somewhere of your weapon.

agental1934
04-30-2008, 2:13 PM
Hey MobCounty,

Though it has been a couple of years since I last took a course at Thunder Ranch, when I had my Urban Rifle course there, one of the students was using an M1A.

Clint Smith is really good about addressing issues across all weapon systems, whether AR, M1A, or AK. The one big expense though about classes with Clint is that he requires lead free, frangible ammo, which is very pricey (as his classes are held on his own private property). Just my two copper coins...

MobCounty
04-30-2008, 2:31 PM
Hey MobCounty,

Though it has been a couple of years since I last took a course at Thunder Ranch, when I had my Urban Rifle course there, one of the students was using an M1A.

Clint Smith is really good about addressing issues across all weapon systems, whether AR, M1A, or AK. The one big expense though about classes with Clint is that he requires lead free, frangible ammo, which is very pricey (as his classes are held on his own private property). Just my two copper coins...

Thanks! I'll def look into Thunder Ranch. Do the courses range from novice to advance? I want to take the whole array.

aplinker
04-30-2008, 5:49 PM
Man, great stuff I'm still reading but I wanted to get a pic out of my setup as soon as possible. It's exactly the same as this.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/spr_ma9104.jpg

I plan on modding it as needed for the best optics in my situation.

An Ultimak rail would allow you to co-witness an Aimpoint which, if you're doing carbine-style classes, is really the best choice for short to medium ranges (0-200yds).

Any of the AR favorites would work, as well: ACOG, Accupoint, Short Dot, Elcan, etc.

MobCounty
05-01-2008, 9:22 AM
What types of classes will utilize the M1 to it's capacity?

MaceWindu
05-01-2008, 9:28 AM
What types of classes will utilize the M1 to it's capacity?

#1: My suggestion is using an M1A with an 18inch barrel. It's a bit easier to wield and manipulate. It also balances just a bit better.

#2: Intermediate range classes 150-500 yard shooting is where it shines. But, I have shot in classes where I was the only one running an M1A and eveyone else ran an M4. I had no problems keeping up.

#3: There is no commonality of ammo, so what you *carry on you* is what you shoot. You can't swap mags with anyone.

#4: Be in SHAPE. An M1A has more beef to it. Handle it or hit the weights.

#5: Practice your reloading! Rock and lock, not straight up an down.

Mace

MobCounty
05-01-2008, 9:52 AM
#1: My suggestion is using an M1A with an 18inch barrel. It's a bit easier to wield and manipulate. It also balances just a bit better.

#2: Intermediate range classes 150-500 yard shooting is where it shines. But, I have shot in classes where I was the only one running an M1A and eveyone else ran an M4. I had no problems keeping up.

#3: There is no commonality of ammo, so what you *carry on you* is what you shoot. You can't swap mags with anyone.

#4: Be in SHAPE. An M1A has more beef to it. Handle it or hit the weights.

#5: Practice your reloading! Rock and lock, not straight up an down.

Mace

I could not pay for better info.! Thanks Mace.

aplinker
05-01-2008, 10:41 AM
The M14/M1A is really best as a DMR rifle - as he said, the 150-500yd range. I'd say even out to 700yds (assuming 18" or longer). That's why I would suggest a mid-range variable scope (like 2-8X or similar).