PDA

View Full Version : Which AR uppers handle wolf ammo

gunsrfun
04-30-2008, 9:56 AM
Do any AR uppers handle wolf ammo better than others? I have heard stag, cmmg, and rra uppers don't like it. How about saber, dpms, armalite, bushmaster, etc?

Prc329
04-30-2008, 10:00 AM
My Stag I had hated wolf but my RRA eats everything. I believe CMMG will void your warranty for shooting wolf. The only wolf I will shoot now is the brass cases wolf gold.

Stanze
04-30-2008, 10:00 AM
I shot 200 rounds of Wolf Military Classic 55gr. FMJ through my brand new Stag Arms 2HT upper last weekend flawlessly. I lubed up the BCG with CLP until it was dripping wet and went to town.

Here's the thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=98364

The Gunslinger
04-30-2008, 10:04 AM
My double star upper has no problems with the wolf ammo......I prefer remington but for 5.29 a box for wolf you can't beat it!...Cheers!

Solidsnake87
04-30-2008, 10:04 AM
All RRA uppers will handle wolf. DPMS handles wolf. Bushmaster handles wolf. I have multiple rifles built on these uppers. I used to use wolf until I learned the potential bad involved with it. It will void ANY warranty. It would be a shame to lose that RRA/Stag lifetime warranty in case of touble, wouldn't it? Obviously the choice comes down to you. If you use wolf, you'd better know how to clean your gun thoroughly, especially in the chamber area. Also, DO NOT CYCLE LACQUER COATED WOLF IN AN AR!!!!! The lacquer will melt you'll develop a layer of lacquer in the chamber that will eventually cause your casings not to feed properly. Use cheap brass cased ammo, unless you really don't care. Just my .2 cents. good luck!

Army GI
04-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Yes, it's fine:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu18.htm

Won't get any good accuracy though. It's about minute of pie plate at 100 yards.

Wolf accuracy, pretty poor:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu21.htm

apbrian112
04-30-2008, 11:17 AM
i've also run about 300 rounds of wolf copper through my AR in the last 2 weeks including 1 3-gun match and my stag ate it up... i did clean it inbetween the 3-gun and the last 150 rounds i put through it on sunday.

great for the hoser stages... not so good for the Long Rifle stages. on sunday, my accuracy at 100 yds was right around 3-3.5"

Hopi
04-30-2008, 12:56 PM
If your AR does not run Wolf ammo, it is probably safe to say that your gun/upper is out-of-spec, broken, or not properly lubed/assembled.

USN CHIEF
04-30-2008, 1:09 PM
If your AR does not run Wolf ammo, it is probably safe to say that your gun/upper is out-of-spec, broken, or not properly lubed/assembled.

+1000

Every once in a blue moon My Bushmaster will get a FTE, but that would be after running about 300 rounds without cleaing or lubing my rifle...

C.G.
04-30-2008, 4:28 PM

And even safer to say, that the Wolf is either undercharged, overcharged or primers not seated properly.:)

jacques
04-30-2008, 4:55 PM
And even safer to say, that the Wolf is either undercharged, overcharged or primers not seated properly.:)

I agree, I will not shoot Wolf through my 5.56. My AK, yes.

huck
04-30-2008, 8:09 PM
If it's okay ammo, why does it void all the warranties?

railroader
04-30-2008, 8:34 PM
I think why the companies say wolf voids their warranties is probably because of extraction problems. I know with my keltec su-16 if the chamber isn't kept pretty clean I can get stuck shells with wolf. I can see similar things happening with ar's and people would be wanting the manufacturer to fix rifles that are probably fine with brass ammo but not with wolf when they get dirty. Saying that wolf voids warranties saves the manufacturers some headaches. Mark

3rd_gear
04-30-2008, 9:30 PM
+1000

Every once in a blue moon My Bushmaster will get a FTE, but that would be after running about 300 rounds without cleaing or lubing my rifle...

Surely you mean 3000 rds without cleaning...right?

Solidsnake87
04-30-2008, 10:06 PM
And even safer to say, that the Wolf is either undercharged, overcharged or primers not seated properly.

+100, yes. Wolf ammo has extreme consistency deviations. Great for rifles designed for steel-cased ammo, bad for ARs. One group will be .25 inches, the next will be 5-6 inches. When you buy wolf, you have to accept the fact you are only paying for something to go bang (hopefully) and for another something to fly through the air in the general direction of an object. You'll see much more consistency for the cheap American Eagle brass. This can easily be had for $8 per box in many places!

This stuff voids the warranties because steel on steel friction accelerates the wear of your parts. Manufacturers don't cover wear and tear type issues. Moreover, the more worn your rifle, the more likely something wrong is going to happen.

When wolf is fired, the case won't expand to fit the chamber the way that brass does. This will create a chamber prone to exessive carbin accumulation. Also, if the wold is lacquered, you will melt the lacquer of develop a layer of laquer with the carbon. The dimensions of the chamber shrinks and jams, extraction issues, and broken parts result. This is why wolf voids warranties. Its also not to hard to spot the uppers that use wolf. Besides the layer of crap that lines the chamber and bore, the bolt face will have the finish worn. If brass is used in the gun, the brass will "wear off" on the bolt face a leave a brass-like finish on the bolt. Steel ammo will leave no such trace and, instead, just wears down the finish.

I used wolf in my first ARS great with no problem, I was not expecting wonderful results just great plinking. When I earned more $ and learned about potential issues with steel ammo in ARs I wised up a bit. Use it at you own risk. I just wanted you to be aware of the potential consequences.

3GunFunShooter
05-01-2008, 6:49 AM
Wolf steel cased ammo is just not worth the savings for the problems it can cause. Have seen many problems at matches with guys using Wolf with an AR, Kel-Tec, Mini 14
Great ammo in an AK or SKS.

Army GI
05-01-2008, 7:25 AM
Wow, so much bull in this thread. Gun forums are where all the damn horror stories come from, which prompt companies to make warranty policies like that.

762cavalier
05-01-2008, 7:26 AM
:beatdeadhorse5::willy_nilly::willy_nilly::hide:

SS109
05-01-2008, 8:04 AM
My RRA shoot Wolf military classic just fine.

aplinker
05-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Wow, so much bull in this thread. Gun forums are where all the damn horror stories come from, which prompt companies to make warranty policies like that.

+1

perpetuation of myths...

Army GI
05-01-2008, 11:40 AM
+1

perpetuation of myths...

Indeed.

For those of you that missed it the first time around, please try reading these:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu18.htm
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu21.htm

shark92651
05-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Stags with carbine-length gas system have better luck with Wolf than rifle-length (4H).

huck
05-01-2008, 1:22 PM
Another good write-up.

http://ammo.ar15.com/#wolfok