PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question re M4 feedramps--not the usual

jhova98040
04-30-2008, 8:36 AM
Hello,

I just bought a FN bbled 20" A2 upper... SAW ground M4 feedramps into it... I was hoping to turn it into an A4 style upper...

So, I am assuming I should buy a upper rec. with M4 feedramps... Is that a must? Highly recommended?

I just want to make sure before I spend the $$. I am thinking I will buy a Colt 6920 or like upper rec to use as a host for the BBL, that the right approach?

thanks,

Mike

hawk1
04-30-2008, 9:01 AM
I think you'll get a lot of answer either way. I think it'll come down to how the cuts are in the barrel extention. Can you post up a picture.

Sydwaiz
04-30-2008, 9:24 AM
So your upper receiver assembly currently has M4 ramps in both the receiver and barrel, correct? And you simply want a flat top upper instead of the carry handle correct?

Buy a flat top upper receiver with the M4 cuts and swap parts. That way all the ramps line up as they should. You can use a receiver without ramps with a barrel with ramps but not the other way around. It won't look right but it will work.

jhova98040
04-30-2008, 9:26 AM
sure:

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/8563/sl380357lc0ko8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

QuarterBoreGunner
04-30-2008, 10:47 AM
FN barrel?

Did it fall off a truck?

jhova98040
04-30-2008, 11:46 AM
I got it from someone who got it from the CDNN surplus A2 sale. They had them for sale a few years ago...

So, based upon my pics I am gtg buying a Diamco/Colt 6920 upper rec. and swapping the BBL into it?

QuarterBoreGunner
04-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Interesting.

Now of course I have to wonder where CDNN got them...

bwiese
04-30-2008, 12:51 PM
There are some (but relatively few) true FN bbls out there.

I know a ton of the bottom feeders always say they have 'FN' parts, but there are a batch of true FNMI 20" A2 bbl assemblies out there.

CDNN and several other AR-parts vendors had them back in very late 90s. (Methinks even SARCO, contrasting with their usual surplus A1 bbls or no-name unlined bbls.)

Every once in awhile someone says "they're stolen", but that'd only be if they were onesy-twosey, not the wholesale lots several parts houses had and multiple vendors at multiple gunshows had. These were in boxes with the anticorrosion paper wrap, and with CAGE code labels stamped out (consistent from vendor to vendor).

I've seen 1 or 2 here & there in the last coupla years at the Reno show, NIB.

One story was there was a ton of stuff left over from Iraq I in overseas warehouses and it was cheaper to sell/dispose than to ship back & reinventory.

QuarterBoreGunner
04-30-2008, 3:26 PM
^Now that is very intriguing.
Always makes me wonder what could possibly be sitting in a giant .gov warehouse, just waiting for the light of day.

Aside from the Ark of The Covenant, of course...

hawk1
04-30-2008, 3:46 PM
^Now that is very intriguing.
Always makes me wonder what could possibly be sitting in a giant .gov warehouse, just waiting for the light of day.

Aside from the Ark of The Covenant, of course...

Iraqi weapons of mass destruction....:hide:

ar15barrels
04-30-2008, 11:29 PM
Is the barrel actually marked FNMI?
Post a picture of the markings.
If there are no markings forward of the front sight, post a picture with the handguards removed so I can see the barrel profile.
FN never made HBAR's. ;)

If not marked, it's just a generic gunshow vendor barrel.
Gunshow vendors LOVE to tell people that they are selling FN barrels...

bwiese
05-01-2008, 10:57 AM
Is the barrel actually marked FNMI?
Post a picture of the markings. If there are no markings forward of the front sight, post a picture with the handguards removed so I can see the barrel profile.

FN never made HBAR's. ;)

If not marked, it's just a generic gunshow vendor barrel.
Gunshow vendors LOVE to tell people that they are selling FN barrels...

Randall I'll get around to it this wknd.

These are FN Mfg Inc A2 gov't profile bbls - not HBARs.

It came in a real 'milspec' box with anticorrosive paper wrap and a blanked-out CAGE code label.

jhova98040
05-01-2008, 12:03 PM
mine is marked "FNMI MP 5.56 NATO 1/7". It is 20" gov. profile.

no pics, right now, but if you want me to post them I can tom.

ar15barrels
05-01-2008, 7:19 PM
mine is marked "FNMI MP 5.56 NATO 1/7". It is 20" gov. profile.

no pics, right now, but if you want me to post them I can tom.

No need, that's the real deal.