PDA

View Full Version : Definition of Pump Action

duenor
04-30-2008, 7:32 AM
I'm just thinking. Pump guns like the Rem 7400 and Par 1 are legal with all the evil features, right? This is because assault rifles have to be "semiautomic centerfire rifles"

So what is the definiteion of a pump action, or conversely, non-automatic?

What if I took a FAL, drilled out gas ports so as to render the firearm incapable of cycling the action? that no matter of hot of a round you put in it, it will be impossible to have enough gas to cycle the gun? then you put a damn strong spring in the gun, maybe 200% strength, to add to it.

in order to cycle the gun, you have to really yank on that charging handle.

the benefits would be a gun that could easily and quickly converted back to semi auto (replacement of the gas system, say) but still be cal legal.

Hopi
04-30-2008, 9:24 AM
This has been covered. You are correct. If you disable a firearms gas system and must then cycle the action manually, it is no longer a semi-auto firearm.

Considering that AW laws prohibit semi-auto firearms, IIRC it would be legal to import a manual-action, single shot, or pump-action firearm that is listed by name on the AW roster. I may be wrong, but we hashed this out a year or so ago.....

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=45779

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=45333

ar15barrels
04-30-2008, 10:32 PM
What if I took a FAL, drilled out gas ports so as to render the firearm incapable of cycling the action? that no matter of hot of a round you put in it, it will be impossible to have enough gas to cycle the gun? then you put a damn strong spring in the gun, maybe 200% strength, to add to it.

That would be a bolt action repeater. ;)

duenor
05-01-2008, 7:17 AM
yes, exactly.
but one that could easily be converted back (but not without some work).

i would really like to do that with the KelTec RFB.

dfletcher
05-01-2008, 8:06 AM
I'm just thinking. Pump guns like the Rem 7400 and Par 1 are legal with all the evil features, right? This is because assault rifles have to be "semiautomic centerfire rifles"

So what is the definiteion of a pump action, or conversely, non-automatic?

the benefits would be a gun that could easily and quickly converted back to semi auto (replacement of the gas system, say) but still be cal legal.

I believe Ruger sells their Mini 14 in the UK and/or ANZACS region in that configuration to comply with their "no semi auto" requirement. In effect, what was a semi auto becomes a manual straight pull bolt. Of course the problem with the FAL is the south side charging handle. Great for me - a righty shooting left handed - bad for most others.

AJAX22
05-01-2008, 8:09 AM
Yep, bolt action repeater, totally legal with all features

Kind of like what I did to my AMD65's to make them CA legal

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/Ratduster77/DCP_0404.jpg

PatriotnMore
05-01-2008, 8:12 AM
[QUOTE=duenor;1176195]I'm just thinking. Pump guns like the Rem 7400[QUOTE]
The 7400 is not a pump gun, it is a gas operated, auto loading, semi-auto rifle.

Remington MODEL 7400 Synthetic 270 Win
Manufactures Number: 9794

Caliber: 270 Win
Barrel Length: 22"
Rate of Twist: 10"
Overall Length: 42-5/8"
Avg Weight: 7-1/2 Lbs
Model 7400 Features
Gas-operated action yields softer recoil and speed for quick, accurate follow-up shots.

bwiese
05-01-2008, 9:00 AM
Remington 7400s are semiauto.

The Remington 7600s (including the 7615 patrol rifle taking AR15 mags) are pump action.

Q
05-01-2008, 11:21 AM
The keltec rfb is pretty neat.
since ajax had to post his, here are mine. :D
yugo m70ab2 bolt action.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n32/qbertquartz2/pistol/boltaction.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n32/qbertquartz2/pistol/zastavas.jpg

-hanko
05-01-2008, 12:37 PM

Drilling the port to where it's large enough to start shaving bullets will result in an fal that still cycles, but not completely.

The gun would be prk-legal, but you'd still be shaving bullets...setting the gas plug to 'grenade' position would turn the rifle into a bolt action.

=hanko