PDA

View Full Version : What would you get or build?

s&w5906
04-30-2008, 5:33 AM
I will be starting my very first OLL build very soon:43: i want to have two projects a a dedicated 556 and at the same time a plinker like the .22 I have been seeing there is a .22 upper available for the OLL's. My question is would you build a dedicated .22 or just purchase a GSG5? From what I understand the GSG5 is $$$ reasonable so I just cant make up my mind.. What do you guys/ gals think??:confused:

thefinger
04-30-2008, 1:25 PM
Hi s&w,

Personally I would just get a Ceiner kit. They are really inexpensive and everyone seems to love them. You can shoot .22LR through your regular 5.56 upper with the ceiner kit, so the total cost for a .22 plinker is the $150 it costs for the ceiner kit. you just pop out the BCG and swap in the ceiner BCG. Simple and quick to change.

If you want a dedicated .22 plinker that is completely separate from your OLL build, then I would say it totally depends on what you want out of your "plinker." You can probably get more accuracy out of a dedicated OLL, but it will cost you more. GSG owners seem to think they're a blast to shoot, but owners have also reported some issues with flimsy furniture and such. However, the GSG should cost you less than a dedicated OLL to begin with, so you could likely beef up your GSG with nicer parts and still keep the price below that of a new OLL.

Like I said, I would take a good long look at the ceiner kit. Also, there are enough kits out there now that you might want to consider just pimping out a Ruger 10/22. So many choices! good luck. :p

link to Ceiner Kit (http://www.22lrconversions.com/)

s&w5906
04-30-2008, 1:35 PM
Thanks Dedo (thefinger)

thanks for the information i will look into it further.. thanks once again

redcliff
04-30-2008, 1:35 PM
Don't deal with Ceiner.. they're back orderred for months, require payment up front, don't take credit cards and will charge a restocking charge if you cancel your order that they haven't deliverred.

s&w5906
04-30-2008, 1:36 PM
thanks redcliff.. any body else you might suggest i go with?

redcliff
04-30-2008, 2:09 PM
Well, if you wanted a dedicated .22lr upper, than Model 1 sales may have everything you need in stock, I'd call first though:
http://www.model1sales.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=22LRUH16CL&storeid=1&image=22LRcarupperlw.gif

If you can wait a month or so Spikes Tactical will have .22lr dedicated uppers available.

If you want to order a Ceiner kit to use your existing upper, than I'd order through either Brownells or Model 1 unless some of our forum supporters carry them. I try to buy things through them if they're in the same ballpark price wise, but I don't recall seeing any that advertise the Ceiner kit.

RedDawn
04-30-2008, 4:13 PM
I would buy either the GSG-5 or 10/22. What can I say, I like variety when I shoot.
I currently have a 10/22 and I love it (no FTF, no FTE with American Eagle or Remington golden bullets). Everyone loves to shoot it, it ends up being the most popular rifle to shoot at the end of the day.

Bizcuits
05-07-2008, 1:50 AM
Get a ruger 10/22

http://a252.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/23/l_081de8131fe6f89b5b053b3bab15ba03.jpg

This is was posted by Capita159, beautiful 22!

RECCE556
05-07-2008, 1:56 AM
The GSG-5 is a GREAT .22LR. I love mine. I never shoot my 10/22 anymore. As far as .22LR AR conversions, like RedCliff said, avoid Ceiner. There are others working on conversions. Also, I prefer a dedicated .22LR AR upper. You can even buy some cheap no-name upper, install the conversion and use that.