PDA

View Full Version : Compton

acolytes
04-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Was flipping through the channels and came across the channel 9 news. Then it pops up. "Late breaking news" "Police searching a block for someone that shot at them with an AK47." Ofcourse they can't forget to mention "AK47" or "Assault rifle" whenever something like this happens.

5150Marcelo
04-29-2008, 10:32 PM
ofcourse...
Any CGNrs in compton?;)

tziggs
04-29-2008, 10:35 PM
I'm not sure that they are showing anti-firearm bias by reporting the specifics of the incident. I'm definitely not saying that traditional media is completely unbiased, but I wouldn't point to this as a great example of their anti bias.

One question though, how do they know it is an AK47 if the haven't found the suspect yet?

Riodog
04-29-2008, 10:36 PM
ofcourse...
Any CGNrs in compton?;)

LOL, yeah, all of the law abiding southcentral CalGunners.

Rio

5150Marcelo
04-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Yessssirrrr...
Well, you cnat blame anybody for owning an AK or AW that lives in Compton... come on!

acolytes
04-29-2008, 10:46 PM
I'm not sure that they are showing anti-firearm bias by reporting the specifics of the incident. I'm definitely not saying that traditional media is completely unbiased, but I wouldn't point to this as a great example of their anti bias.

One question though, how do they know it is an AK47 if the haven't found the suspect yet?

That's what i was thinking. It was dark. How could they tell? I would think if the suspect was close enough for the cops to identify the weapon, he was close enough to be caught?

blackberg
04-29-2008, 10:47 PM
LOL, yeah, all of the law abiding southcentral CalGunners.

Rio

umm southcentral ≠ compton

-bb

Harrison_Bergeron
04-29-2008, 11:04 PM
I thought AKs had a distinctive sound? If someone is shooting at you in full auto I don't think there is such a thing as close enough to catch. I heard this at around 8:30, I decided that based on the neighborhood and the report it could be a true Assault Rifle and wouldn't be worth posting without further info. Remember, criminals don't abide by the weapons bans.

5150Marcelo
04-29-2008, 11:14 PM
I thought AKs had a distinctive sound? If someone is shooting at you in full auto I don't think there is such a thing as close enough to catch. I heard this at around 8:30, I decided that based on the neighborhood and the report it could be a true Assault Rifle and wouldn't be worth posting without further info. Remember, criminals don't abide by the weapons bans.

Yea, and flys cause garbage.

Harrison_Bergeron
04-29-2008, 11:16 PM
Huh?

cackinthebox
04-30-2008, 1:05 AM
they been playin too much San Andreas

Gnome
04-30-2008, 2:25 AM
I can't say too much because I work for the dept. that this station is assigned to. I'll tell you what I know.

Deputies were doing a patrol check of a dead-end street in a high crime/high narco area. Started taking rounds from an AK 47. Deputies bailed out of the car and returned fire. Suspect jumped a wall and fleed the scene (one report is that he dropped the gun before jumping the wall. Kinda hard to jump walls with a rifle). Haven't confirmed if it was semi or full auto.

A containment was immediately set up. Deputies are still on scene in an attempt to a find the suspect.

Acolytes, yes it is important to mention that deputies took rounds from an AK 47. It let's the public know what we're up aginst everyday.

Also, just because it's breaking news, doesn't mean it just happened. We heard the initial call at approximately 4:30-5:00 PM. The media had nothing else better at whatever time they put it out, that's why it made the news. The containment had already been going on for awhile.

"I would think if the suspect was close enough for the cops to identify the weapon, he was close enough to be caught?" Wow! Somebody just shot at you with an AK 47, and you're gonna run up to him and try and handcuff him? No! He ran anyway. Are you gonna jump over walls trying to find him, not knowing where he's at and if he's still armed, or if he has homeboys on the otherside of the wall waiting for you with shotguns? No! You're gonna get on your radio, and set up a containment.

All of this was verified through a phone call to Compton station. I'll try and find out more tomorrow if I can.

Oh yeah, don't worry, none of the deputies were injured.

Decoligny
04-30-2008, 6:44 AM

From Heartbreak Ridge, Clint Eastwood as Gunney Highway: "This is the AK-47 assault rifle, the preferred weapon of your enemy; and it makes a distinctive sound when fired at you, so remember it."

yellowfin
04-30-2008, 7:18 AM
Ah, so if you were shot at by a deer rifle or a shotgun or a Mauser or even an African game rifle it's all good, but an AK is more lethal just because it's an AK? Has anyone ever actually shouted back "Hey, I don't mind you shooting at me, but using an AK47? Cmon, that's not nice!" I guess someone who's killed by a lead pipe hitting them in the back of the head isn't dead? If someone you know gets hit by a car and dies is the first thing that comes to mind "Oh thank god it was just a car. I can live with that. Just so long as it wasn't one of those evil semiautomatic rifles!" :rolleyes:

WolfMansDad
04-30-2008, 9:24 AM
Deputies were doing a patrol check of a dead-end street in a high crime/high narco area. Started taking rounds from an AK 47. Deputies bailed out of the car and returned fire. Suspect jumped a wall and fleed the scene (one report is that he dropped the gun before jumping the wall. Kinda hard to jump walls with a rifle). Haven't confirmed if it was semi or full auto.

A containment was immediately set up. Deputies are still on scene in an attempt to a find the suspect.

Acolytes, yes it is important to mention that deputies took rounds from an AK 47. It let's the public know what we're up aginst everyday.

C'mon, calgunners. Read before you get all worked up. Report is they know it was an AK because the shooter dropped the weapon before fleeing. Weapon was recovered even though the suspect escaped. And yes, it is entirely appropriate to report on the type of weapon used in a police shooting. We, the good guys, need to know what they, the bad guys, are using.

Hopi
04-30-2008, 11:15 AM
C'mon, calgunners. Read before you get all worked up. Report is they know it was an AK because the shooter dropped the weapon before fleeing. Weapon was recovered even though the suspect escaped. And yes, it is entirely appropriate to report on the type of weapon used in a police shooting. We, the good guys, need to know what they, the bad guys, are using.

True, but generally the media is not to be trusted with the 'facts'. Grandpa's old 30-06 scoped Remington can easily become a deadly 'sniper rifle' with a judicial keystroke. That sks you bought from an FFL down the road, just another 'automatic assault weapon' used to kill kids. There is rational basis for the skepticism.

Harrison_Bergeron
04-30-2008, 11:38 AM
The incident took place in a notoriously gang ridden area, and the suspects fired at cops unprovoked, showing the highest level of apathy towards the law. What would make you guys think it impossible for them to have true assault weapons? It's basically like you are saying that bans work and there is no way an actual criminal could obtain an illegal firearm.

Hopi
04-30-2008, 11:43 AM
The incident took place in a notoriously gang ridden area, and the suspects fired at cops unprovoked, showing the highest level of apathy towards the law. What would make you guys think it impossible for them to have true assault weapons? It's basically like you are saying that bans work and there is no way an actual criminal could obtain an illegal firearm.

I am not discrediting the reality of this circumstance, I am questioning the accuracy of 'early reports', or for that matter, any reporting, regarding firearms used while in the commission of a crime. There is a difference.

Librarian
04-30-2008, 12:27 PM
I am not discrediting the reality of this circumstance, I am questioning the accuracy of 'early reports', or for that matter, any reporting, regarding firearms used while in the commission of a crime. There is a difference.

News reports very seldom include "officers have recovered the weapon dropped by the fleeing suspect, and identified it as a ...."

Without that, I think it's entirely appropriate to ask "How do they know?", and further to wonder about the accuracy of the initial identification even with the recovery mentioned.

I agree with Gnome, here: yes it is important to mention that deputies took rounds from an AK 47. It let's the public know what we're up aginst everyday. but I also want the information to be as accurate as circumstances allow. It's probably also the case that news reports never fully quote a LE spokesman as saying 'first reports are that it looks like an AK-47, but we need a more expert opinion to finalize that identification'. That understandable urgency and brevity often has the unfortunate effect of leaving erroneous first impressions. Nobody remembers the later reports, and news orgs don't make much of an effort to backtrack: "Oh, we said "AK-47" because that's what we were initially told, but it turns out it was actually a Saiga-brand sporting rifle.'

Hopi
04-30-2008, 12:29 PM
News reports very seldom include "officers have recovered the weapon dropped by the fleeing suspect, and identified it as a ...."

Without that, I think it's entirely appropriate to ask "How do they know?", and further to wonder about the accuracy of the initial identification even with the recovery mentioned.

Agreed.

hawk1
04-30-2008, 12:35 PM
ofcourse...
Any CGNrs in compton?;)

Not anymore...------:auto:

Fjold
04-30-2008, 12:36 PM
You're up against AK-47's "everyday"? I must be missing the news coverage of that.

Hopi
04-30-2008, 12:40 PM
You're up against AK-47's "everyday"? I must be missing the news coverage of that.

Just watch 10 minutes of CNN or MSNBC....

GuyW
04-30-2008, 1:41 PM
It would be interesting to learn whether that AK was legally imported....

tyrist
04-30-2008, 7:02 PM
Gnome they have the weapon in custody don't they? That is what I was told. This was basically an ambush and it has happened more than a few times.

HowardW56
04-30-2008, 7:50 PM

DITTO!

Sydwaiz
04-30-2008, 8:00 PM
Just checking in to say "it wasn't me!"

JayRuff
04-30-2008, 8:16 PM
lol, I remember back in 97 when one of my friends was picking me up from work when my car was in for repair, he asked me if I wanted to hang out a bit so he stopped by his friend's house who happened to be a shot caller (which I didn't know at the time) the dude had a AK on laying on his table when I entered, and I thought it was a semi auto wasr10, and that he bought it legally, So I asked if I could take a look at it, I did and it turned to be full auto and imported from Mexico. I just hanged out for about 10-20 mins and got the hell outta there, I was young back than so I didn't take much notice to who I was hanging out with, but now I'm more aware and try to stay out of trouble. But yeah it's messed up how us good folks try to keep our weapons legal while all these gangbangers have Full Auto rifles, Tech-9's and Uzi's.

blackberg
04-30-2008, 8:19 PM
... I did and it turned to be full auto and imported from Mexico.

arent guns banned in Mexico?:confused:

and weapons are imported from the US to Mexico and not the other way around I believe, but what do I know I read it on the intertubes...
-bb

JayRuff
04-30-2008, 8:24 PM
arent guns banned in Mexico?:confused:

and weapons are imported from the US to Mexico and not the other way around I believe, but what do I know I read it on the intertubes...
-bb

I'm not sure man, it was in 97' and thats what I was told, it's funny cause you would think he would cover it up and not say anything but he wanted to impress people I guess

just cause they are banned it does not mean that criminals and drug cartels don't have them

xYourLocalAR15x
04-30-2008, 8:27 PM
i was out in the garage reloading some .06 for some future use... Heard a chopper going around in circles for awhile. Was wondering what that was all about. I live like 3 cities away from compton and i can still hear the choppers. wtf?

AK47 no wonder no officers were hurt (Thank god) Couldnt even hit a barn with an ak47! :)

.06 for the win :)

MrTuffPaws
04-30-2008, 8:35 PM
If I ever lose it and go ballistic, I'm going to go and get the strangest gun with the strangest caliber before I do.

I want you all to hear a cop say, "We are facing Winchester M1907 self loading rilfes in 351 everyday out here."

Gnome
04-30-2008, 10:23 PM

Yes Fjold, you are. AK 47s, Mini 14s (Common), high powered rifles, Mac 11s, Tech 9s. All of these weapons are confiscated every damn day. The Department does not report to the media everytime we seize one. The media wouldn't care.

One of my friends working Palmdale (North Compton/Palmpton) sent me an email not to long ago. He told me he pulled over a
car full of 415Gs (Gang Bangers) for a "Routine Traffic Stop" (No such thing). They started moving around a lot, so he called for back up. Back up arrived and he pulled out the occupants and sank 'em in his back seat. After runnig their DLs. One was wanted for a 245 PC and the other was on parole for a violent felony.

My classmate searched the vehicle and found a loaded AK 47 under the driver's seat and a handgun in the glovebox.

These sh*tbirds could have taken my friend out anytime they wanted to. Very sobering.

Deputy Soresen (Lake Los Angeles Resident Deputy) was assasinated by a 223 caliber rifle (long gun vs handgun). He never had a chance. First responders found brain matter on the ground. The suspect then tied Deputy Sorensen's lifeless body to a pickup truck and dragged him through the desert. He stopped only when the rope broke.

Sheriff's S.W.A.T. eliminated the suspect.

So Fjold, yes we are up against these weapons everyday.

Gnome
04-30-2008, 10:33 PM
Gnome they have the weapon in custody don't they? That is what I was told. This was basically an ambush and it has happened more than a few times.

I believe so Tyrist. An ambush is exactly what it was. And yes, it happens quite often.

I got some more details today. The gang that ambushed the unit is called "Nutty Blocc". They are an infamous crip set (Go ahead and Youtube them). The shooter is still outstanding (for now).

I can't go into anymore details because of ongoing investigations. Common sense should tell you that Nutty Blocc will be getting some extra love & attention in the near future.

yellowfin
05-01-2008, 8:37 AM
I suppose the people shooting at the cops had absolutely zero to do with the problem. Or if they were using a 7mm Mauser or a .220 Swift it's all fine and good. According to the above posts, if you get hit with one of those bullets you're just peachy but if it's a firearm that is apparently classified as "evil" here like an AK it will kill you and everyone else in the room just by looking at it. :rolleyes:

If someone is someone so dangerous that you've gotta address what kind of firearm they have then WHAT IN THE HECK ARE THEY DOING OUT OF JAIL OR EVEN IN THIS COUNTRY IN THE FIRST PLACE?!??!?

WolfMansDad
05-01-2008, 8:53 AM
Yes Fjold, you are. AK 47s, Mini 14s (Common), high powered rifles, Mac 11s, Tech 9s. All of these weapons are confiscated every damn day. The Department does not report to the media everytime we seize one. The media wouldn't care.

Gnome, can you comment on the ratio of actual assault rifles (select-fire) seized vs. sporting models (semi-auto only)?

Glock22Fan
05-01-2008, 9:04 AM
Did I miss the post where it said that this AK47 was fired in full auto mode? Was it a full auto or a semi?

I have no problem with accurate reporting of what weapon was used, but sometimes the media (and yes, sometimes even politically motivated police) make a political point that isn't borne out by the facts. The recent "fifty caliber assault rifle, designed to bring aircraft down" that turned out to be a muzzle loader is a case in point.

Gnome
05-01-2008, 1:17 PM
Gnome, can you comment on the ratio of actual assault rifles (select-fire) seized vs. sporting models (semi-auto only)?

Wolf, I probably could if I had the correct info. I don't know the ratio and I don't want to venture a guess. I'll try and find it on our system. I'm sure it's public info, and just a matter of finding it.

pnkssbtz
05-01-2008, 1:28 PM
What makes a "high powered rifle" different than a regular rifle?

And are you sure they are "ak47's" specifically and not Saiga's or other semi-auto offlist rifles? Or when saying "AK" you mean AK type rifle?

Need I remind everyone of the "Machine Guns" and "Stolen Government Property" and "Credit Card Fraud" that BWO was arrested for and reported in the news?

I am certain that Gnome is telling the truth in that these weapons are confiscated commonly on the streets. However, I am not confident that the reporters are accurately writing down what the recovered evidence is, and instead like to use "catch phrase" style words (a.k.a. Machine Guns, Assault Weapons, High Powered Rifles, Sniper Rifles, etc.)

Gnome
05-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Okay gentlemen, for those who are interested, I have the circumstances behind this shooting. Confirmed by our department operations log.

Two deputies assigned to a COPS (Community Oriented Policing Services) team, along with several other station deputies, were on foot trying to locate and surveil a known Nutty Blocc Crip gang member. As the two deputies approached a group of 20-30 gang members (using a wall for cover), one gang member saw them approaching. He stood up and fired at the deputies. The deputies returned fire, and the suspect was seen running towards some apartments.

A containment was set up, and the suspect was later found hiding in said apartments. The AK 47 was recovered at the scene. Suspect is in custody for (A)187 PC.

retired
05-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Gnome, speaking now as a "regular" citizen and a former member of the dept., I'm glad none of the deputies were hurt. I'm also very glad they went 10-15 with the db. It's unfortunate that he didn't try to fight them.

Please stay safe yourself.