PDA

View Full Version : LAPD Issuing CCW's to PI's and PPO's

Billy Jack
04-29-2008, 6:51 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, if you are a fully licensed PI or PPO LAPD lists you as a class of individuals that would likely qualify for a CCW. That is the short answer. The Policy that applies to you is posted under 'CCW questions for Billy Jack'. Take a gander and if you want more information our site address is posted there as well.

Billy Jack sense disturbance in 'The Force'.

Billy Jack

"When policemen break the law, then there isn't any law...just a fight for survival!"

lehn20
04-29-2008, 8:16 PM
Thanks for that info.

Billy Jack
04-29-2008, 8:28 PM
I do not know of any way to reach the majority of PPO's and PI's except by word of mouth. I see all the whining about how they can not get the really good assignments without a CCW, well here is the path to same. I am not going to say it will be easy but it is doable.

Billy Jack lurk in tall grass, wait for bad CLEO to come into range and well....... the rest is not pretty.

Seriously, the LAPD policy, I can actually live with. All we need to do is get the 'Chief from Boston' to follow the law and his own policy.

Billy Jack

E Pluribus Unum
04-30-2008, 2:03 AM
I think that PIs are exempt from concealed carry anyway... don't quote me on this but I could swear I read that in the Penal Code somewhere.

Billy Jack
04-30-2008, 6:24 AM
I regret you are misinformed but there is no prohibition against PI's having CCW's.

I might as well address another myth while I am here. There is no way LAPD or any CLEO can use 12031PC, PI and PPO Exposed Carry, to avoid issuing them CCW'S. That was attempted unsuccessfully by OCSD in Federal court. The result was Guillory v Gates.

It would be most helpful to all members if we tried to keep our posts about matters of law and policy to topics about which we have specific knowledge or information. Billy Jack teach at two Community Colleges and I immediately shut down any student that begins a sentence with: "I heard, I think, my buddy told me, my second cousin by marriage told me......."

I am posting about matters that can take applicants into Federal court and cost thousands of dollars so I stress specificity. Federal Judges tend to dismiss cases with Pleadings that are not fact based.

Billy Jack

For assistance with your CCW application www.californiaconcealedcarry.com

"When policemen break the law, then there isn't any law...just a fight for survival!"

Knauga
04-30-2008, 8:20 AM
One of the arguments used in denying PI's their CCW's is that with their PI license they can open carry.

99sparks
04-30-2008, 8:28 AM
I regret you are misinformed but there is no prohibition against PI's having CCW's.

I might as well address another myth while I am here. There is no way LAPD or any CLEO can use 12031PC, PI and PPO Exposed Carry, to avoid issuing them CCW'S. That was attempted unsuccessfully by OCSD in Federal court. The result was Guillory v Gates.

It would be most helpful to all members if we tried to keep our posts about matters of law and policy to topics about which we have specific knowledge or information. Billy Jack teach at two Community Colleges and I immediately shut down any student that begins a sentence with: "I heard, I think, my buddy told me, my second cousin by marriage told me......."

I am posting about matters that can take applicants into Federal court and cost thousands of dollars so I stress specificity. Federal Judges tend to dismiss cases with Pleadings that are not fact based.

Billy Jack

For assistance with your CCW application www.californiaconcealedcarry.com

"They" (who ever they is) told me... Everyone knows....

Billy Jack
04-30-2008, 9:09 AM
One of the arguments used in denying PI's their CCW's is that with their PI license they can open carry.

That issue was addressed by Guillory v Gates.

Billy Jack

Decoligny
04-30-2008, 9:52 AM
I think that PIs are exempt from concealed carry anyway... don't quote me on this but I could swear I read that in the Penal Code somewhere.

You are probably confusing it with 12031 (d) (3) which exempts PI's from the prohibition against loaded carry, while they are working.

Fate
04-30-2008, 9:59 AM
Subdivision 12031 expired Janary 1, 2005 and has been struck from the PC.

Decoligny
04-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Subdivision 12031 expired Janary 1, 2005 and has been struck from the PC.

WRONG - 12031 is a SECTION and not a subdivision.

If 12031 had expired, it would be perfectly legal to carry a loaded firearm anywhere in California.

12031 (m) is a subdivision.

Only the requirement for the district attorney to submit an annual report...etc., expired on January 1, 2005.

(m) (1) The district attorney of each county shall submit annually a report on or before June 30, to the Attorney General consisting of profiles by race, age, gender, and ethnicity of any person charged with a felony or a misdemeanor under this section and any other offense charged in the same complaint, indictment, or information.
(2) The Attorney General shall submit annually, a report on or before December 31, to the Legislature compiling all of the reports submitted pursuant to paragraph (1).
(3) This subdivision shall remain operative only until January 1, 2005.

Fate
04-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Still valid? Interesting as it's no longer in the ATF book of State Laws and Published Ordinances - Firearms.

Decoligny
04-30-2008, 10:50 AM
In all the legal references that I have seen they show things listed in the following format: "persuant to subdivision (a) of Section 42.1".

And the ATF has never been known to make mistakes? They probably did the same misread.

Even the CA AG memo mentions just the reporting requirements expiring.

http://ag.ca.gov/include/view_upload_document.php?fid=2788

E Pluribus Unum
04-30-2008, 10:52 AM
It would be most helpful to all members if we tried to keep our posts about matters of law and policy to topics about which we have specific knowledge or information.

Check your brakes Billy. I did not state something as fact. I was very clear that I wasn't very sure. There was no way someone could have read my post and been misinformed. I HATE it when people quote the law in ignorance. That is not what I did here.

You are probably confusing it with 12031 (d) (3) which exempts PI's from the prohibition against loaded carry, while they are working.

Yep... thats the one. :)

mike452
04-30-2008, 11:26 AM
PPO = Preferred Provider Organization?

Decoligny
04-30-2008, 11:34 AM
People for the Prohibition of Math. The square root of all evil.

tgriffin
04-30-2008, 11:35 AM
PPO = Private Patrol Operator