PDA

View Full Version : So how do I know when my barrel is at the end of it's life cycle?

Teletiger7
04-29-2008, 4:49 PM
I use to shoot alot of 22 when I first got into shooting. Been getting back into it more recently. The increased ammo prices was the main reason to get back into it. Then i noticed how fun it was again and that it was really helping get back to the basics and fundamentals of how to shoot a rifle and concentrate on things. So this went on for a few months and I was happily shooting atleast 1box of remington golden bullet through it every week. Then a couple weeks ago I started to notice weird stuff happening. I started getting alot of "flyers". The grouping were twice the size of what I normally got. I was using the same ammo. So do I need a new barrel for my 10/22? This might be an excuse to buy another aftermarket barrel.

Timberwolf
04-29-2008, 4:50 PM
How often do you clean - just bought new ammo

MILLITIAof1
04-29-2008, 4:58 PM
I have ~55,000 rounds through my factory 10/22 barrel and it seems just fine... but I don't expect to see 1 inch groupings out of it.

sloguy
04-29-2008, 5:03 PM
have you improperly cleaned your barrel too many times? and whats double the normal accuracy?

762cavalier
04-29-2008, 5:03 PM
Yup I would make sure it is good and clean. I haven't heard of many people wearing out a barrel on a .22. Also check the crown at the end of the barrel and make sure something hasn't damaged it.

StukaJr
04-29-2008, 5:19 PM
Fliers could also be caused by loose fit of the receiver assembly and the stock - if the rifle was stored for a long time and has a wood stock, it's possible that wood dried and warped with time... Screws that hold the receiver in the stock or the barrel clamp got loose?

How frequent do the fliers happen? Is it a good group and every Nth shot way off? How does the bore look?

ar15barrels
04-29-2008, 5:26 PM
22 barrels usually get damaged more by cleaning rods than by actual shooting.
Lead 22 rimfire bullets just don't wear barrels much.
If you dropped the ammo on the ground and it picked up grit, that would cause some throat wear.

ocabj
04-29-2008, 5:50 PM
It's not the bullets that wear barrels, it's the burning powder and resulting gasses. I don't know of any proven numbers for rimfire, but rimfire BR shooters will change barrels when accuracy causes their averages to go down.

This is the best rule for any competition barrel change. Change it when scores begin to drop. Of course, this rule works best for competitors that shoot well enough to know when scores are dropping because of the equipment and not due to their own performance.

Teletiger7
04-29-2008, 6:17 PM
How often do you clean - just bought new ammo

I usually clean after everytime I go to the range. So about once, sometimes twice a week for the past 5-6 months

Teletiger7
04-29-2008, 6:18 PM
22 barrels usually get damaged more by cleaning rods than by actual shooting.
Lead 22 rimfire bullets just don't wear barrels much.
If you dropped the ammo on the ground and it picked up grit, that would cause some throat wear.

Are you saying that I shouldn't use a cleaning rod?:eek:

Fjold
04-29-2008, 6:31 PM
On a 10/22 you can't clean the barrel from the breech end without removing the barrel and I won't push a cleaning rod through backwards.

I took a 4' length of 100 Lb test mono and melted the end into a blob. I sharpened the other end of the fishing line and I just spear patches on it so that they catch on the melted blob on the end and pull them through the barrel from breech to crown to clean it.

I do a detailed strip and clean it when ever it's starts to get sluggish after about 1,000 rounds or so.

ar15barrels
04-29-2008, 10:20 PM
On a 10/22 you can't clean the barrel from the breech end without removing the barrel and I won't push a cleaning rod through backwards.

Many will drill a hole through the rear face of the receiver so you can lift the action out of the stock and clean from the rear.

I also use a pull-through setup to clean mine though as I am too lazy to pull it from the stock to clean.

ar15barrels
04-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Are you saying that I shouldn't use a cleaning rod?:eek:

Yes.

Foaming bore cleaner is where it's at.
After an hour or so, pull a patch through it with an otis kit or something like what Frank explained above.
I use weed wacker string to make various sizes of pull-through bore cleaners that use real patches.

sloguy
04-29-2008, 10:26 PM
i like weedwhacker trimmer line for homemade pull type cleaners. and little disks of leather work well for bore squeegees. to get all exessive oil and solvent out before shooting.

Beelzy
04-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Check the ammo. After loading a round, eject it and check to make sure
the bullet nose hasn't been dinked. A sign of a faulty magazine.

IceMan711
04-30-2008, 12:17 AM
I just use a patchworm and a good solvent. The patchworm is very simple and works extremely well.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=211439&t=11082005

It is like a weed wacker string but comes with different sized plungers for all different calibers. I don't use the patches that comes with it, I just just normal cheap .22 patches. I bought it for my 10/22's, but I use it on all of my rifles now. Works much better than jags.

hybridatsun350
04-30-2008, 8:01 AM
I use one of those Hoppes Bore Snakes. Put a little Hoppes 9 on that baby, pull it through once and it looks like a brand new barrel.

caldude
04-30-2008, 8:19 AM
I generally use a Bore Snake also on my semi-autos.

A friend of mine has a Winchester 1903 (22 Auto -was his grand dads) that was keyholing the only time we took it out. He didn't have the equipment, so he gave it to me to clean. It turns out the barrel was coated with lead - I pushed out round sleeves of lead that had been coating the barrel. Then I used the Foul Out to remove the rest of the lead. Unfortunately, with that old gun, the rifling is just about gone so it isn't going to be too accurate anyway.

FlyingPen
04-30-2008, 8:58 AM
Is that foaming bore cleaner stuff effective on ARs and Remington 700s?

ar15barrels
04-30-2008, 9:41 AM

yes.

Prc329
04-30-2008, 10:06 AM
Yes.

Foaming bore cleaner is where it's at.
After an hour or so, pull a patch through it with an otis kit or something like what Frank explained above.
I use weed wacker string to make various sizes of pull-through bore cleaners that use real patches.

Randall Hipped me to foaming cleaners and I never looked back. Less work and the barrel gets a lot cleaner.

Prc329
04-30-2008, 10:11 AM

I use Wipe-Out with the accelerator and it works wonders.

http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe/search?search_keywords=Wipe-Out&category_selector=all_products&Click+to+Begin+Search.x=14&Click+to+Begin+Search.y=16&Click+to+Begin+Search=Search_Button

FlyingPen
04-30-2008, 10:49 AM
Cool, I'll have to order a can next time I buy.

So you shoot this stuff into the bore, wait overnight, then you run a few clean patches through then you're done?

redcliff
04-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Any recommendations on brands Randall? I see several manufacturers make foaming bore cleaner.

Prc329
04-30-2008, 11:48 AM
http://www.6mmbr.com/borecleaning.html

WokMaster1
04-30-2008, 12:51 PM

I took a 4' length of 100 Lb test mono and melted the end into a blob. I sharpened the other end of the fishing line and I just spear patches on it so that they catch on the melted blob on the end and pull them through the barrel from breech to crown to clean it.

I do a detailed strip and clean it when ever it's starts to get sluggish after about 1,000 rounds or so.

won't it be easier to sell it & buy a new one?:D Sorry, it's the Hussein in me thinking out loud.:p

FlyingPen
04-30-2008, 12:57 PM
There's a whole word of more stuff I need to order.

I picked up a 36" Dewey nylon coated rod for my AR but I'll probably need another Dewey rod for the 308 Remmy as well now... and also this I guess

http://www.6mmbr.citymaker.com/catalog/item/1433308/954882.htm

Prc329
04-30-2008, 1:05 PM
There's a whole word of more stuff I need to order.

I picked up a 36" Dewey nylon coated rod for my AR but I'll probably need another Dewey rod for the 308 Remmy as well now... and also this I guess

http://www.6mmbr.citymaker.com/catalog/item/1433308/954882.htm

I have a different bore guide but I need to get that one just because it looks like it will work a lot better then mine.

FlyingPen
04-30-2008, 1:08 PM
Save on shipping and order two? :D

ViPER395
04-30-2008, 3:18 PM
Stop cleaning your 10/22's so much people.

I clean mine about once every thousand or two, and only then if it's real dirty from shooting crap like Remington.

Mine shoots better dirty.

ar15barrels
04-30-2008, 9:53 PM
So you shoot this stuff into the bore, wait overnight, then you run a few clean patches through then you're done?

Shoot a quick shot (less than 1 second) into the chamber, hold the dispensing straw firmly in place for a few seconds while the foam expands and runs out the muzzle.
Once it stops expanding, let the gun sit an hour.
Wipe out with a patch and repeat.
The patch changes color based on what you are removing.
Copper is green, powder is gray.

ar15barrels
04-30-2008, 9:54 PM
Any recommendations on brands Randall? I see several manufacturers make foaming bore cleaner.

Any of them probably work just fine.
I'm using one that's a red can.
I forget the brand as I am in NYC tonight and the can is in LA.

ar15barrels
04-30-2008, 9:55 PM
I use Wipe-Out with the accelerator and it works wonders.

http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe/search?search_keywords=Wipe-Out&category_selector=all_products&Click+to+Begin+Search.x=14&Click+to+Begin+Search.y=16&Click+to+Begin+Search=Search_Button

That's the one I use too.
I don't have the accelerator though.

ar15barrels
04-30-2008, 9:59 PM
I have a different bore guide but I need to get that one just because it looks like it will work a lot better then mine.

I made my own.
Without having seen that Lucas one, I did a similar setup.
Fitted to the chamber and the rod for better centering is good.