PDA

View Full Version : Mosin transfer from sister and the law

Gwenzilla
04-29-2008, 12:41 AM
OK I searched the boards and read so much legal stuff that I have a headache, but haven't found (in plain english) the answer to my question yet.
Can anyone tell me if my sister, living in California, wants to sell me (also living in Calif) a 1940's era Mosin Nagant does the transaction need to be through an FFL holder? If so, do both of us have to be present at such a transaction, or can I just pick up the Mosin and go see a FFL with a receipt or something?

Please excuse me if this seems like an inane question, its just all the legal lingo bewilders me after awhile.

mymonkeyman
04-29-2008, 12:43 AM
Long guns 50+ years old can be transfered in California face-to-face between California residents with no FFL involved, assuming the receiver is 18+ years old and not disqualified from owning firearms.

JeffM
04-29-2008, 1:08 AM
Long guns 50+ years old can be transfered in California face-to-face between California residents with no FFL involved, assuming the receiver is 18+ years old and not disqualified from owning firearms.

That's correct. Long guns that are 50+ years old are Curio & Relic (aka C&R) and can be transfered person to person directly (assuming the recipient is not prohibited from owning a firearm by law).

If the rifle was newer than 50 years old, your sister could give the rifle as a gift to your parents, and then they could give it to you. Inter-familiar transfers can only go up/down from parents/children/grandparents, not between siblings. If it were a handgun the recipient would also need to fill out the proper form, which I forget the name of, and sent it to the DOJ with a $19 fee.

Gwenzilla
04-29-2008, 1:15 AM
Thanks for the quick replys. Gee... somehow I thought it would probably be "California Complicated". Nice to hear its not.