PDA

View Full Version : APS – 04-26-08 – Tac/Prec Match Report

Timberwolf
04-28-2008, 9:02 PM
APS – 04-26-08 – Tac/Prec Match Report

This past Saturday we had our monthly Tac/Prec Rifle Match at A Place to Shoot in Saugus, California. The day was sunny and warm but very blustery with ever changing gusts and thermals whipping through our little canyon making some of the longer shots a definite test of wind calling skill.

Plaques were awarded to the top three competitors as follows: First Place – Ryan Kerr; Second Place – Pascal Bauder; Third Place – Don Augustine.

The following is a breakdown of the six courses of fire:

Stage I – 100 Yard CBS

Self explanatory – this was a one shot take all stage with the shooters taking their CBS at a 1” dot 100 yards away. Six of the eight shooters hit their CBS for the 100 points . . . hmmm maybe smaller dots next time.

Stage II – 865 YARD SPANK THE BUFF

The second course of fire is pretty explanatory from its title. In this stage the shooters engaged our also infamous Buff at 865 yards. This was scored on decreasing value - the shooter had a max of three shots to hit the target. If hit in the first shot the shooter rec’d 100 pts; if the first shot was missed the shooter was allowed a second shot and if a hit was achieved it was worth 50 pts; if missed twice the shooter was allowed a third and final shot for which 25 pts were awarded for a hit. No one “spanked the Buff” on their first shot, through three of the eight shooters managed to hit it on their second shot, including our match winner.

Stage III – HOW FAR IS THE TARGET

In this third stage the shooters had to determine the distance to a target using their mil dots. The target distance was 450 yards and the target size was 8” and to earn the points for the stage the shooters had to be correct +/- 5 yards. Four of eight shooters came within this category.

Stage IV – NOW YOU KNOW THE RANGE HIT THE TARGET

In this stage the shooters used their determined range to the target in Stage III to place a shot on the target. As with Stage II this was a three attempt with decreasing score stage.

Stage V – 100 YARD 5 DOT DRILL – PRONE - RUNNING

This stage is a cousin to the normal dot drill that has become a norm at my matches. This stage is shot the same way basically as a normal dot drill except the shooter starts 20 yards behind the firing line and proceeds forward to engage one of five 1” targets at 100 yards. After the shot is taken the shooter must get off his weapon and proceed to the rear position (20 yards back) get one round of ammo and proceed forward where the shooter engages the next 1 “ dot. This is done on all five rounds. I set the time at 3 mins though most shooters finished under 2 mins.

STAGE VI- SITTING TO PRONE WITH SLING

IN this last stage the shooters engaged a 3” target from the sitting position with five rounds then proceeded to prone where they engaged a 1.5-inch target with five rounds. The caveat was that only slings were allowed in prone.

All in all it was a very good match and all did very well.

rksimple
04-28-2008, 9:07 PM
This match had a good mix of things. A little positional, some ranging, etc. I had a blast.

Cypriss32
04-28-2008, 9:08 PM
True that. Even thow I didnt do good, I still have alot of fun.

Timberwolf
04-28-2008, 9:13 PM
This month's match didn't have my usual odd (belly crawl 30 yards, shoot from a dumpster or moving trailer, etc) stage as I wanted to get in the ranging stage. Hope y'all weren't too bored. ;)

Vu 308
04-28-2008, 9:32 PM
Nice COF Twolf.

Vu 308
04-28-2008, 9:32 PM
Eh bro, can you link us up with some hotels in the area?

Need to start making reservations.

Timberwolf
04-28-2008, 9:37 PM
Sure - which side do you want to stay on - Santa Clarita or Palmdale? Of the two Palmdale would get more bang for the buck as the motels in the range proximity on the Santa Clarita side are near Magic Mtn.

Vu 308
04-28-2008, 9:41 PM
Whatever you think is best man. How is the drive from Palmdale?

Cypriss32
04-28-2008, 9:44 PM
Depending on what size APPT and whos living with me at the time, i might have room for a couple to crash in my living room. We will be in Valencia.... Right down the street.

Timberwolf
04-28-2008, 9:46 PM
Whatever you think is best man. How is the drive from Palmdale?

Not bad - two lane rd - a little windy, rural - you'll get to pass a buffalo ranch :D I live in Palmdale so y'all can follow me to and from if you want. It's about 1/2 drive from either way - the Palmdale side is a little less confusing.

Vu 308
04-28-2008, 9:53 PM
Works for me Twolf. We can do dinner Friday night or something.

Just link us up with a few hotels and I can make reservations for the guys.

Timberwolf
04-28-2008, 9:58 PM
OK I'll make a note of the motels/hotels on that side of town and get you a list. The area I'm thinking of is Palmdale Blvd. west of the 14 which is the rd to the range. I live about 2 miles from there and depending on what time y'all get in the area theres several places to eat very near the area.

wildcard
04-29-2008, 7:31 AM
Works for me Twolf. We can do dinner Friday night or something.

Just link us up with a few hotels and I can make reservations for the guys.

Do you subsidize your team's expenses?! Or just take point in making the arrangements?

Maybe T-Wolf should subsidize his team too for practice matches up north :)

rksimple
04-29-2008, 8:02 AM
Do you subsidize your team's expenses?! Or just take point in making the arrangements?

We need to make it to a couple matches up there prior. I can drive if you guys want to meet me in Tehachapi or Bakersfield. With the price of gas, we need to carpool. The next match is this weekend, right?

wildcard
04-29-2008, 8:10 AM
We need to make it to a couple matches up there prior. I can drive if you guys want to meet me in Tehachapi or Bakersfield. With the price of gas, we need to carpool. The next match is this weekend, right?

Yup. Unless something has changed, I believe they have matches are on the 1st Sunday and 2nd Saturday of each month. Were you planning a 1-day turnaround? I'll roll up with you :)

Vu 308
04-29-2008, 8:11 AM

Yah, NCPPRC pays for team events. Entries, Hotel, Gas, Food, and strip club bills. SHIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET. I actually just make the arrangements to ensure the guys have a place to stay. Since I have to book a room for myself and the guys I am rolling down with it is not much more to book 4 rooms so that everyone has a place to crash. Gotta take care of the guys that take care of you.

If you guys wanna get the most bang for your buck..I'd roll in Saturday AM...shoot our practice...then shoot our match Sunday. After that match go to the steel range and gather data there.

There is a Red Roof inn that is about 35 minutes from the range for 55.00 a night.

Vu

wildcard
04-29-2008, 8:18 AM
Yah, NCPPRC pays for team events. Entries, Hotel, Gas, Food, and strip club bills.

Dang.. y'all really are "The Country Club."

I'll admit it.. I'm a little jealous now. We're like the poor inner city kids who have to struggle and pay our own way to compete. But the poor and disadvantaged always win.. at least in the movies.. :) (I'd use "Bring it On" as an example but then i'd have to admit seeing it)

Vu 308
04-29-2008, 8:21 AM
So does that mean you are going to bring poms poms to the match? :jump:

I wish I could afford to do that for the guys but that is not the reality at this time..who knows what our organization will be in a few years. We are growing monthly.

rksimple
04-29-2008, 9:56 AM
Yup. Unless something has changed, I believe they have matches are on the 1st Sunday and 2nd Saturday of each month. Were you planning a 1-day turnaround? I'll roll up with you :)

Whats the weather supposed to be like up there? What time does practice start on Saturday and to what time does it go?

Vu 308
04-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Weather? I would punch up Ione, CA to get the latest greatest for the dates you guys plan to come up.

Saturday practice starts at 0745, meet at the main range house. Goes to whenever you guys call it quits. Usually guys get done by 1pm. But we can shoot on the range till 4pm if you guys got the ammo and time.

Sunday, match day goes fast. We start sign in at 0730 and kick off at 0800 sharp.

Probably be done before 1pm.

Vu

wildcard
04-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Whats the weather supposed to be like up there? What time does practice start on Saturday and to what time does it go?

http://www.sacvalley.org/SacVal/Tactical_Long_Range.html

Don't know what time practice is on Saturday.. but I personally can't kill a Saturday and a Sunday.

Sunday match is from 7:30 to approx. noon. You'll be able to stay and collect data afterwards I believe.

rksimple
04-29-2008, 10:14 AM
I'll see what I can do. I have a convention in Anaheim on Friday, otherwise I'd come up there. I don't know by what time I could make it on Sat. I'll let you know.

rksimple
04-29-2008, 10:15 AM
http://www.sacvalley.org/SacVal/Tactical_Long_Range.html

Don't know what time practice is on Saturday.. but I personally can't kill a Saturday and a Sunday.

Sunday match is from 7:30 to approx. noon. You'll be able to stay and collect data afterwards I believe.

If we could get a little time after the match for dope, that may work for a one day turnaround.

wildcard
04-29-2008, 10:24 AM
If we could get a little time after the match for dope, that may work for a one day turnaround.

And it looks like we can. If you're a go on this, we'll take turns driving.

322 miles from Tehachapi to Sacramento comes out to about 4.5 hours. 160 miles (2 hrs 15 mins) each person will be rather comfortable.

Assuming your car gets 22 MPG and a total of 650 miles traveled at $4/GAL.. gas comes out to $118/# of riders. 1 person eating up that cost + food + ammo + entry fee would actually come out to quite a pretty penny! So.. who else is in? :)

Vu 308
04-29-2008, 10:27 AM
we ususally do not shoot on Sunday after the match.

I believe one of you guys knows someone up here checked out on the 1K range..if they stay with you guys then its all good. Since the weather is nice now we are going to start doing BBQs after the match so we'll even feed ya.

Edited to say:

Our matches move fairly fast so if you truly want to gather dope the best day would be a Saturday practice session where things are really relaxed and we take our time.

Cost you guys 12.00 to shoot 14.00 if you want bang some steel after the 1K range.

We can go from 8am to 5pm I just need to know when.

wildcard
04-29-2008, 10:32 AM
we ususally do not shoot on Sunday after the match.

I believe one of you guys knows someone up here checked out on the 1K range..if they stay with you guys then its all good. Since the weather is nice now we are going to start doing BBQs after the match so we'll even feed ya.

Darn. Thought it was after the Match that we could stay to collect data. Now who was it that said they had the range checked out.. would be quite a coincidence if it was for that very same day.

And through a quich search.. it was discovered that we're talking about Ryan's friend. :)

But if Saturday is the best day.. i'll have to go again when I have a Saturday free.. starting in June.

rksimple
04-29-2008, 10:39 AM
OK, I'll see. I sent my friend an email. He may come out for the match. He's still waiting on his GAP 338LM to come in and get out there and try it. I just have to convince him that he wants to come out with his "lowly" 308.

Vu 308
04-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Who's your buddy Ryan? Does he shoot with us?

Pascal
04-29-2008, 10:59 AM
AWESOME MATCH AS USUAL...

Below you can see the targets for

100 YARD 5 DOT DRILL – PRONE - RUNNING

The two small targeta below the TOP 8 are the results from the shootout between 3rd and 4th place.

http://www.baudarstudio.com/shooting/0426targets.jpg

It's actually better then what we do usually...interesting!

I only took a couple of photos:

Some of the shooters

http://www.baudarstudio.com/shooting/0426shooters.jpg

Shootout between Don and Jason. Don relaxing and watching Jason shoot. The second shooter really has a strategic advantage and can choose speed versus quality depending on the performance of the first shooter.

http://www.baudarstudio.com/shooting/0426shootout.jpg

Don shooting

http://www.baudarstudio.com/shooting/0426Don.jpg

The winners:

1. Ryan Kerr
2. Pascal - DesertFrog
3. Don Augustine

http://www.baudarstudio.com/shooting/0426winners.jpg

wildcard
04-29-2008, 11:07 AM
AWESOME MATCH AS USUAL...

The winners:

1. Ryan Kerr
2. Pascal - DesertFrog
3. Don Augustine

http://www.baudarstudio.com/shooting/0426winners.jpg

Thanks for the great pics!

Look at that last photo with Don smiling and T-Wolf with a lost/ disgusted look..

Everyone that was there knows why.. and T-Wolf sure ain't going to tell!

rksimple
04-29-2008, 11:08 AM
Who's your buddy Ryan? Does he shoot with us?

Nope. He should though. He'd learn something. He likes to hunt mainly, and wants to get better at long range. I'll see if I can drag him out there. He bought a 10fp in a mcmillan and slapped a S&B 5-25 on it for that purpose. He should at least get out and use it.

rksimple
04-29-2008, 11:09 AM

Look at that last photo with Don smiling and T-Wolf with a lost/ disgusted look..

That picture really did catch the "aftermath" quite well!

Timberwolf
04-29-2008, 11:11 AM

That was just wrong

Cypriss32
04-29-2008, 1:09 PM
He bought a 10fp in a mcmillan and slapped a S&B 5-25 on it for that purpose.

OMFG! Unheard of!

Pascal
04-29-2008, 1:10 PM
What look?

Timberwolf always smile

wildcard
04-29-2008, 1:21 PM
What look?

Timberwolf always smile

Smiling is what he's doing with you..

The look of "WTF did you just do?" is what he's doing with Don :D

rksimple
04-29-2008, 1:47 PM
OMFG! Unheard of!

I know. I was a little shocked too. But its a shooter.

Cypriss32
04-29-2008, 3:44 PM
I know BUT its a savage with a S&B! Only If i got one before the 3560.00 current price. Too bad..... I wont be owning one of those. For that price I can buy a USO 3.8-22x on GB and a NF 3.5-15x 50mm NPR1 FFP...

Pascal
04-29-2008, 5:14 PM
Smiling is what he's doing with you..

The look of "WTF did you just do?" is what he's doing with Don :D

Nope...he is smiling :D Take a look again :p

Cypriss32
04-29-2008, 5:44 PM
Pascal, How do you and your son like the bushnell 5-15x 3200 tactical? Thinking about running it on my 22lr im getting.

wildcard
04-29-2008, 5:54 PM
Nope...he is smiling :D Take a look again :p

Geez.. you're right! Maybe every trophy recipient should show their gratitude for putting on such a great match! He deserves to smile!

Pthfndr
04-29-2008, 6:44 PM
Darn. Thought it was after the Match that we could stay to collect data. Now who was it that said they had the range checked out.. would be quite a coincidence if it was for that very same day.

And through a quich search.. it was discovered that we're talking about Ryan's friend. :)

But if Saturday is the best day.. i'll have to go again when I have a Saturday free.. starting in June.

If you guys want to come shoot the match sunday and then shoot some more to collect data AFTER we BBQ, I'll stick around to help you out. I have no where else to be after the match.

I run the line during one relay, and I'm 1K qualified.

But, FWIW, the wind is usually stronger as the day goes on. So check the forecast for the wind or you may be wasting time and ammo trying to collect more dope.

Additionally, the next sunday there's a Palma / Prone match at 800,900,1000 yards. Round count 45 + sighters. Lots of time to get dope there also.

Rob Thomas (lunatic with a Swede Mauser and K31)

wildcard
04-30-2008, 8:50 AM
If you guys want to come shoot the match sunday and then shoot some more to collect data AFTER we BBQ, I'll stick around to help you out. I have no where else to be after the match.

I run the line during one relay, and I'm 1K qualified.

But, FWIW, the wind is usually stronger as the day goes on. So check the forecast for the wind or you may be wasting time and ammo trying to collect more dope.

Rob Thomas (lunatic with a Swede Mauser and K31)

Awesome! The offer is much appreciated. So what is the speed of the wind when it is "stronger?"

Ryan: What do you think?

rksimple
04-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Awesome! The offer is much appreciated. So what is the speed of the wind when it is "stronger?"

Shoot, I don't know. I was planning on heading up there on Saturday morning and staying with a friend. If we want to leave sunday morning and make it for the match, we'd have to leave at the crack of dawn. Might be better to wait until next month.

wildcard
04-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Shoot, I don't know. I was planning on heading up there on Saturday morning and staying with a friend. If we want to leave sunday morning and make it for the match, we'd have to leave at the crack of dawn. Might be better to wait until next month.

No worries. You know me.. i actually do head out at ungodly hours and do 1 day turnarounds for these matces :)

rksimple
04-30-2008, 12:47 PM
I hear ya. I'm the same way. I normally leave at 3:30am for the vegas matches. That way I have something to blame my poor performance on.

I'll give my buddy a call and let you know. If we do it, what time should we leave from Tehachapi?

wildcard
04-30-2008, 1:01 PM
I hear ya. I'm the same way. I normally leave at 3:30am for the vegas matches. That way I have something to blame my poor performance on.

I'll give my buddy a call and let you know. If we do it, what time should we leave from Tehachapi?

Tehachapi to Sacramento is 322 miles away. Averaging 70 MPH, i'll take us about 4.5 HRS. Match starts at 7:30 AM, so leaving at 2:15 should give us some time to get gas/ take a quick break and find our way if we get a little lost :)

Vu 308
04-30-2008, 1:29 PM
Gentlemen,

Whatever you do, DO NOT use mapquest or yahoo. It will take you down a crazy dirt road. Give me a holler if you guys are heading up.

Vu

Edited to add: And the late day wind can be a BIOTCH. It has been so bad out here that we can barely get the target frames up and down. HP guys had to call it quits because the uprights on the target frames were almost at their breaking points.

Pthfndr
04-30-2008, 5:19 PM

"Normal" winds are 5-12 mph. Mornings are usually calm till around 9:30 - 10. Then the wind comes up. The last 3 days we had winds in the 15-20 mph range. That's for Sacto. The range actually will be worse because it's situated in rolling hills. Gusts will typically be 5-7 mph over the average speed.

When the the night is cool (40's - low 50's) and the day time temp is supposed to get hotter (80-85+) then the wind will gradually build. The range cools because of the delta breeze from the ocean, then as it heats up it generates it's own wind due to the ground heating up unevenly because of the hills.

Pascal
05-01-2008, 8:17 AM
Pascal, How do you and your son like the bushnell 5-15x 3200 tactical? Thinking about running it on my 22lr im getting.

Sorry about the delay.

I didn't buy the bushnell 5-15x 3200 tactical- I bought the 10X.

I love the scope on my 22lr. I just wish that you could have more elevation. Right now, the max I can get is 38 which is good enough up to 200 yards (27.5 for 200 yards and 39 for 250 yards). In retrospective, it may have been wiser to buy the 10X supersniper scope BUT it was also $100 more and I was on a very tight budget so not real regret either. The Bushnell is a great scope and I get great results with it.

What I do for longer distances (up to 400 yards) is placing my elevation at 35 and use the mildots. This gives me 1.25 MILS for 250 and 4.5 MILS for 300 yards. 350 and 400 yards are off the mildots but you can still record the approximate location on the reticle. I was shooting at 400 yards last weekend after the match and it took me 4 rounds to hit the target for the first time with Wolf Target ammo (standard velocity).

rksimple
05-01-2008, 1:54 PM
Tehachapi to Sacramento is 322 miles away. Averaging 70 MPH, i'll take us about 4.5 HRS. Match starts at 7:30 AM, so leaving at 2:15 should give us some time to get gas/ take a quick break and find our way if we get a little lost :)

Well, if I go at all, I'm going to try to leave saturday morning. I think a sunday morning one day trip is going to kill me for monday. I don't want to fall asleep while I have sharp instruments in patients' mouths. I have that convention in anaheim tomorrow, so I'll see how I feel when its all over. I may wait till next month.

Vu-I'll let you know tomorrow evening if its a go.

Cypriss32
05-01-2008, 2:04 PM
Ryan on your way back you can stop by and we can shoot depending on what time it is. I want to take the 7's out.

That GAT is SO light. It feels very close to AICS. Enough to not have a problem switching between the savage 22, AICS and GAT!

wildcard
05-01-2008, 2:05 PM
Hmm.. well i'm stuck going to my cousin's graduation up in Bezerkely on the 19th.

Is the 1000 range available for use during non-match weekends, specifically May 17 -18?

rksimple
05-01-2008, 5:16 PM
Ryan on your way back you can stop by and we can shoot depending on what time it is. I want to take the 7's out.

That GAT is SO light. It feels very close to AICS. Enough to not have a problem switching between the savage 22, AICS and GAT!

I'm going to have all the ladies from the office with me. I don't think they'd be too happy if I made a shooting detour.

Jason-I'll let you know when I head up there. I'll probably go another couple times before the big match. I know we've shot on Saturdays up there after a high power match. We just need someone with us checked out on that range. If my friend is available, we can do it. If not, we're sunk. If you can take a friday off, that would work better. Theres usually nobody on that range on fridays (from what I remember) and we could get plenty of practice.

Pthfndr
05-01-2008, 6:44 PM
Hmm.. well i'm stuck going to my cousin's graduation up in Bezerkely on the 19th.

Is the 1000 range available for use during non-match weekends, specifically May 17 -18?

Nothing is scheduled for the 1K range on May 16, 17, 18 as of this time.

You can check the calender for updates here: http://www.sacvalley.org/SacVal/May_Cal.html

rksimple
05-02-2008, 7:58 PM
Vu-no dice for this weekend. I just got back and I'm beat. The traffic sucked. Took me 5 hours to get down there when it should've taken 2.5. Whens the match next month? The 1st?

Vu 308
05-02-2008, 8:10 PM
Roger. 1st of June is our next LR match.

See you guys then.

rksimple
05-02-2008, 8:15 PM
I'll plan on it. Practice is still the saturday before, right?