PDA

View Full Version : Central CA Open Carry Meetup

CA_Libertarian
04-28-2008, 7:42 PM
As many of you are aware, the Nor Cal Open Carry Dinner was held recently, and was a lot of fun. I was hoping to see some Central CA people there too, but none turned up. So, I decided to have a local meetup for those of us in the Manteca-Modesto area.

We're not going to do anything spectacular, just wanna get out and do something and meet other gun rights' activists. Even if you're not an activist, you're welcome to come out; being armed is optional.

If you're interested please visit this thread (http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/10318.html) and post or PM.

CA_Libertarian
04-29-2008, 7:38 PM
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=10403&forum_id=12&msg=1

If you're interested in this meetup there is now a poll up to help determine what date/time would draw the largest crowd.

CA_Libertarian
05-09-2008, 11:16 PM
We'll be meeting Sunday, May 18th, at 12:00 noon at New York Pizza on Yosemite in Manteca. After lunch, some of us will be going to the range.

Everyone is invited to join either/both of these activities, even if you don't want to openly carry a firearm. If you do carry, and wish to do so within the letter of the law, please take the time to review this pamphlet (http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/4842.html), which outlines most of CA's silly gun laws.

I expect we'll have 4-6 in attendance. The more the merrier!

tombinghamthegreat
05-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Be sure to post pictures to show the event to encourage more calguners to open carry. Hope the OC event goes well.

cbn620
05-10-2008, 12:04 AM
Modesto's a bit too far from home, fellas, or I would love to attend. Hell, I'd bring a friend or two.

Might would attend a future event, as I'm sure we'll continue (hopefully and God willing) to have them.

Mr. Joshua
05-10-2008, 12:54 AM
Didn't New York Pizza go out of business? You're talking about the one at Yosemite and Union across from Cabral right? Last time I was there all the signs were down, the tables and chairs were gone, and there was a chain and lock around the doors.

Just FYI.

CA_Libertarian
05-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Didn't New York Pizza go out of business? You're talking about the one at Yosemite and Union across from Cabral right? Last time I was there all the signs were down, the tables and chairs were gone, and there was a chain and lock around the doors.

Just FYI.

Thanks for the heads up! I tried calling today and the number is disconnected... so I think you're right.

I've changed the venue to the Brickyard Oven Restaurant at 112 E Yosemite Ave in Manteca. If you come in from 99 be aware that there is a school on Yosemite east of the restaurant (about 1500' away, so we're not in a school zone). I advise taking the 120 to Main Street - I don't think there are any schools on that route.

trfcrugby
05-10-2008, 11:50 PM
According to Google Earth, Manteca High School is 866 feet away. I work at a school in Manteca, FWIW.

Pull up Google Earth, and look for the octagon shaped building, a pool, and the baseball field just up the street.

05-11-2008, 1:49 AM
It's a bit far from Visalia. Maybe cbn620 and I can work something out a bit closer to us sometime.

CA_Libertarian
05-11-2008, 9:12 AM
According to Google Earth, Manteca High School is 866 feet away. I work at a school in Manteca, FWIW.

Pull up Google Earth, and look for the octagon shaped building, a pool, and the baseball field just up the street.

You may be right... pesky school zones... I really wanted to hold this in Manteca, partially because the local Thugs'n'Badges (TM) harassed one of their subjects for exercising his right to open carry. It was my hope to encourage further open carry activity in Manteca. However, with this meetup being next weekend I want to lock in a solid venue.

This one should work (but double check me anyhow):

We'll meet at Barnwood Restaurant at 338 E Main St, Ripon, CA 95366. After lunch we can shoot at Barnwood Arms indoor range. Barnwood Arms is located at 120 E Main St, which is about 1000' away (on the other side of 99). I'll post range fees and such as soon as I can get them to answer their phone.

Mr. Joshua
05-11-2008, 6:31 PM
Barnwood Arms is closed on Sunday's. And they probably wouldn't be too keen about a group of people OC'ing around their store. I want to say the restaurant is closed on Sunday's too. Both are owned by the same family.

Ronning Arms in Modesto has an indoor range and is open on Sunday's. There's a ton of great restaurants in Modesto too.

SchooBaka
05-11-2008, 6:44 PM
You may be right... pesky school zones... I really wanted to hold this in Manteca, partially because the local Thugs'n'Badges (TM) harassed one of their subjects for exercising his right to open carry. It was my hope to encourage further open carry activity in Manteca. However, with this meetup being next weekend I want to lock in a solid venue.

This one should work (but double check me anyhow):

We'll meet at Barnwood Restaurant at 338 E Main St, Ripon, CA 95366. After lunch we can shoot at Barnwood Arms indoor range. Barnwood Arms is located at 120 E Main St, which is about 1000' away (on the other side of 99). I'll post range fees and such as soon as I can get them to answer their phone.

Google earth has a tool that will show you distance from point to point. I used it to figure my homes distance to the nearest school zone.

Also, yeah, on the open carry into the range, they probably won't dig that, but check the rules. I know that at Markly's indoor range and gunstore near where I live, there is a huge sign at the entry way that states all pistols must be unloaded and in a locked contaner before being brought into the store.

CA_Libertarian
05-11-2008, 9:26 PM
Barnwood Arms is closed on Sunday's. And they probably wouldn't be too keen about a group of people OC'ing around their store. I want to say the restaurant is closed on Sunday's too. Both are owned by the same family.

Ronning Arms in Modesto has an indoor range and is open on Sunday's. There's a ton of great restaurants in Modesto too.

Damn. I'm 0-3 on this venue thing.

Also, just curious why you think they would mind people exercising their rights? Is this personal knowledge of the owners? I would think a gun store would be supportive of RKBA...

CA_Libertarian
05-11-2008, 9:30 PM
Google earth has a tool that will show you distance from point to point. I used it to figure my homes distance to the nearest school zone.

Also, yeah, on the open carry into the range, they probably won't dig that, but check the rules. I know that at Markly's indoor range and gunstore near where I live, there is a huge sign at the entry way that states all pistols must be unloaded and in a locked contaner before being brought into the store.

I've open carried into Ronning Arms in Modesto. Their first question was, "what department are you with?" When I said I was not a LEO they simply checked me into their range like any other time I've patronized their business. I don't think they have anything posted saying the guns need to be locked up... and since they didn't say anything I don't see any reason to think that's their policy.

CA_Libertarian
05-11-2008, 9:47 PM
The new venue for lunch is the Orchard: Twenty-Four Hour Restaurant at 2405 E Highway 132 in Vernalis (about 3 miles from I-5, and miles away from any schools I'm aware of). This is also a convenient location since it is just a couple miles from the range.

I'm not sure if this is an incorporated area, so PC 12031 may apply.

Mr. Joshua
05-11-2008, 11:42 PM
I know the Barnwood Arms family very well, trust me on the OC stuff with that place.

The Orchard is way out in the unincorporated part of the county. You should be GTG. Of course, expect some funny looks. ;)

JGarrison
05-12-2008, 8:46 AM
You may be right... pesky school zones... I really wanted to hold this in Manteca, partially because the local Thugs'n'Badges (TM) harassed one of their subjects for exercising his right to open carry.

So what happen in Manteca? Curious to hear as I live there

CA_Libertarian
05-12-2008, 4:41 PM
So what happen in Manteca? Curious to hear as I live there

Some of the local LEOs harassed a guy for open carry. You can read about it here (http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/9154.html).

4thSeal
05-12-2008, 6:14 PM
I wouldnt call it harassment... The off duty didnt know the law... the 1st On Duty was a good guy took the time to check, the 3rd and 4th were way too stressed out over something that is legal, especially since i brought the PC to their attention... Made some comments they shouldnt have... but hey it happens... I will be more upset if it happens again... I made it clear to the LT that the 3rd/4th officers i was very displeased / upset with their comments...

gmcal
05-12-2008, 11:04 PM
I can't make it to this meeting, but, I'd like to attend a future Central CA OC meetup.

BTW, for those of you going out Maze, be aware there are 2 schools at Maze and Carpenter (I'm sure about this) and another at Maze and Emerald (IIRC).

CA_Libertarian
05-15-2008, 9:03 PM
I wouldnt call it harassment... The off duty didnt know the law... the 1st On Duty was a good guy took the time to check, the 3rd and 4th were way too stressed out over something that is legal, especially since i brought the PC to their attention... Made some comments they shouldnt have... but hey it happens... I will be more upset if it happens again... I made it clear to the LT that the 3rd/4th officers i was very displeased / upset with their comments...

From the Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

ha·rass
1 a: exhaust, fatigue b (1): to annoy persistently (2): to create an unpleasant or hostile situation for especially by uninvited and unwelcome verbal or physical conduct

I think calling it "harassment" is accurate; fits the second definition to a T, in fact. These people, who believe themselves superior to you, decided to violate your rights by detaining you without just cause. What they did is wrong.

Ignorance of the law is no defense for 'civilians.' The guys enforcing the laws should be held to at least the same standards.

CA_Libertarian
05-15-2008, 9:06 PM
I can't make it to this meeting, but, I'd like to attend a future Central CA OC meetup.

BTW, for those of you going out Maze, be aware there are 2 schools at Maze and Carpenter (I'm sure about this) and another at Maze and Emerald (IIRC).

Thanks for the heads up on the schools. I wasn't aware of the one at Emerald. I'll be sure to keep my gun case in the front seat so I can lock up whenever I have to.

Hope to see you at the next meetup. I'll probably be up for this every 2-3 months, so I'm sure the next one will be soon.

Mr. Joshua
05-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Well? How did it go?

CA_Libertarian
05-21-2008, 6:30 AM
Well? How did it go?

Sadly, the turnout was myself and a friend I brought along... nobody else made it out. I think this is partially due to the several venue changes, and maybe a little to do with the heat wave we had last week.

I'm a little disappointed, but not discouraged. My buddy and I still made a day of it.

gmcal
05-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Don't give up. I couldn't go because my wife is in her last 2 weeks (not a joke) of pregnancy and I don't want to leave her alone if I don't have to. I should be able to make it to a meet up in 2-3 months, assuming I don't have to work.

CaliforniaCarry
05-21-2008, 1:11 PM
I'd love to come to one of these meet ups, but I just can't justify driving for 4 or 5 hours to get there. If we ever put together one in the LA area I'll be sure to come.

CitaDeL
05-21-2008, 7:18 PM
I'd love to come to one of these meet ups, but I just can't justify driving for 4 or 5 hours to get there. If we ever put together one in the LA area I'll be sure to come.

So whats preventing you from organizing?

I know there are at least 3-4 others from the area that have already taken their first steps- some even showed at our Sacramento meet, so Im sure if someone took the initiative in scheduling a time and place- they would do their best to join. Besides- its not like everyone has to open carry-it could be a CalGuns meet up as well.