PDA

View Full Version : Karma kills NorCal gun thief

Steyr_223
04-28-2008, 3:45 PM
Karma is a bitch..Any loss of human life is a waste, this one seems less so. Does not Qual for a Darwin award..

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/28/BA6G10D5KU.DTL&tsp=1

04-28) 15:37 PDT JENNER -- A 24-year-old man whose body was found early Saturday at the base of a bluff near the Sonoma County hamlet of Jenner fell to his death while climbing with a pair of freshly stolen rifles, the county sheriff's department said today.

The victim, Jeffrey Martin Kessler, fell after pausing below the 100-foot peak of the bluff to fire one of the weapons, which had been snatched hours earlier by a second man during a home burglary in Santa Rosa, sheriff's Sgt. Tim Duke said.

The other man, 24-year-old Joseph John Browder Sr. of Santa Rosa, was jailed Saturday on suspicion of grand theft of firearms and possession of stolen property. Browder, a friend of Kessler's, also had violated the terms of his probation, sheriff's officials said.

Sgt. Duke said Browder stole eight guns and a large amount of ammunition Friday night in unincorporated Santa Rosa, before traveling with Kessler and two others to a spot just north of Jenner.

The friends parked in a Highway 1 turnout and hiked down a steep trail to a private cove, where they fired more than 100 rifle rounds into the cliffs, Duke said. He said Kessler later walked off alone with two guns.

Browder heard Kessler discharge one of the rifles and then yell for help, Duke said. Browder soon found Kessler at the base of the bluff.

Kessler's friends tried to hide seven of the guns and the remaining ammunition in brush off Highway 1, Duke said, but investigators found them. The eighth rifle, Duke said, was located at a homeless encampment in Santa Rosa where Kessler had been staying.

Kessler's older brother said Kessler had a son from a marriage and a daughter named Ylnevaeh ("Heavenly" backward) with his current girlfriend.

Edward Kessler, 30, of Phoenix, said his brother grew up in Yuma, Ariz., and Rohnert Park. He made "a lot of bad choices when he was younger," dropping out of school and spending time in juvenile hall, Kessler said.

He said his brother, who worked at a sandwich shop, had recently enrolled in community college in an effort to gain enough credits to join the Army.

"He was trying," said Edward Kessler, who spent eight years as a Navy Corpsman. "He really was making a conscious effort to get his life on track."

E-mail Demian Bulwa at dbulwa@sfchronicle.com.

Kooter
04-28-2008, 3:51 PM
I feel bad for the kids not having a father, but how sad is it that the daughter will always remember he was the one that named her "Ylnevaeh"

thefifthspeed
04-28-2008, 3:53 PM
"He was trying," said Edward Kessler, who spent eight years as a Navy Corpsman. "He really was making a conscious effort to get his life on track."

Except for the Residential Burglary....but other than that....

bwiese
04-28-2008, 4:09 PM
"He made a lot of bad choices when he
was younger..."

C'mon - I hate that phrase.

Making a "bad choice" is going to Denny's instead of Ruth's Chris, or buying a Dodge truck, or "going ugly early" at the local bar.

It's NOT falling down a cliff with an armload of stolen rifles and breaking one's neck.

hawk1
04-28-2008, 4:13 PM
Nice! <borat>

Didn't we have a member here that had his place broken into in that area?

AS45-70
04-28-2008, 4:15 PM
I can only hope his body broke the fall of the rifles and they were not damaged or even scratched when returned to the owner.

yellowfin
04-28-2008, 4:26 PM
In an ideal world this would serve as a warning to those who attempt to take our firearms from us by whatever other means. There is nothing that separates the burgler from those who do the same thing with committee votes or with a call to their favorite rent-a-thugs.

Fjold
04-28-2008, 4:33 PM
I have to disagree with you. Any loss of human life is a not waste, sometimes the world is better off when some people die.

Socal858
04-28-2008, 4:45 PM
its a shame his friend didnt fall as well

USN CHIEF
04-28-2008, 4:49 PM
its a shame his friend didnt fall as well

+ 100

you got that right...:D

DRM6000
04-28-2008, 6:08 PM
was the cliff okay?

JeffM
04-28-2008, 6:14 PM
I remember writing on the blackboard at school x100 "life is full of choices, and I made a bad one."

It's not often that you get to see a burglary story end well.

Fjold
04-28-2008, 6:25 PM
You know that someone is going to come on here and B**** slap us again for not respecting the dead and for not considering his family, etc.

Steyr_223
04-28-2008, 6:42 PM
"When cliffs are outlawed, only outlaws will have cliffs!" - Septic_Hank
4/28/2008 4:26:22 PM.

USN CHIEF
04-28-2008, 6:46 PM
You know that someone is going to come on here and B**** slap us again for not respecting the dead and for not considering his family, etc.

On this one, I will be more than happy to take the Slapping.. Freaking idiots decided to rob guns and they ended up dead...

StukaJr
04-28-2008, 6:48 PM
Huh... Good riddance - I wish there was a lesson for other crooks, but this is good enough. Less burden on the system and the planet.

Give him a Darwin's Award while on it.

PolishMike
04-28-2008, 6:51 PM
heavenly backwards... really...? haha

amd64
04-28-2008, 6:52 PM
I hope the guns were not dinged up too badly and are returned to the rightful owner.

Yankee Clipper
04-28-2008, 6:56 PM

Making a "bad choice" is going to Denny's instead of Ruth's Chris, or buying a Dodge truck, or "going ugly early" at the local bar.

It's NOT falling down a cliff with an armload of stolen rifles and breaking one's neck.

Can I use your? "going ugly early" at the local bar I've been there, done that!

ybz
04-28-2008, 7:16 PM

"going ugly early" is not a bad choice... it's a calculated strategic decision...

thegratenate
04-28-2008, 8:02 PM
Is there some redneck still standing at the bottom of that cliff holding his beer?
His brother may have been referring to the name he gave his daughter as one of his bad choices.

I do hope that he broke the fall of the rifles, it'd be a shame if they were scratched up much.

Fate
04-28-2008, 8:11 PM
FAIL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I1l0-rYbfY

xYourLocalAR15x
04-28-2008, 11:10 PM
http://messaging.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=mail.message&friendID=360237370&MyToken=44028260-0e02-4f5b-98bb-ec92bbbe9e14

found his myspace site and left him a nice little message for when he gets out of jail :)

ibanezfoo
04-29-2008, 8:28 AM
Hmmm... This could be a new punishment for weapons thieves. Throw them down cliffs! I like it!

-Bryan

Phugedaboudet
04-29-2008, 9:15 AM
But, there are *laws* against that sort of thing! Didn't *laws* stop a former felon from having guns? We need more *laws* so that these poor unfortunate people don't hurt themselves or die!

I propose a mandatory waiting period for hiking. And a ban on all cliffs, mountains, or trails that a homeless felon can fall from. Unless the trail has certified guard rails that can only be removed with tools...of course the local DA will be inspecting and approving trails.

Check on the DOJ site where all current approved trails and coves for hiking with stolen weapons can be found!

*sigh* too little too late. Can't get a Darwin award if ya already bred..."Idiocracy" come to life.

DIG
04-29-2008, 2:51 PM
FAIL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I1l0-rYbfY

wtf??? crazy stuff there... 2:55-3:16 was kind of funny though :p reminded me of that movie "The Thing".

-

Fate
04-29-2008, 5:58 PM
Haha...well I wanted to post a pic from Ogrish, but thought the mods might take issue to entrails in vivid color. Computer graphic ragdoll models in a blue world are much easier on the stomach! :laugh:

There's a whole series of these on YouTube.

tygerpaw
04-29-2008, 6:54 PM
It's the gun owners fault. If he had not had all those evil guns and such a huge dump of ammunition, this poor, young at-risk youth would never have done such a thing. They should sue the gun owner - its his fault!

CrippledPidgeon
04-29-2008, 8:22 PM
It's the gun owners fault. If he had not had all those evil guns and such a huge dump of ammunition, this poor, young at-risk youth would never have done such a thing. They should sue the gun owner - its his fault!

That's what civil suits are for.

What a wonderful world we live in.

mossy
04-29-2008, 8:28 PM
damn, i hope the guns wernt hurt to bad...

04-30-2008, 4:04 PM
Karma is a bitch..Any loss of human life is a waste, this one seems less so. Does not Qual for a Darwin award..

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/28/BA6G10D5KU.DTL&tsp=1

04-28) 15:37 PDT JENNER -- A 24-year-old man whose body was found early Saturday at the base of a bluff near the Sonoma County hamlet of Jenner fell to his death while climbing with a pair of freshly stolen rifles, the county sheriff's department said today.

The criminal, Jeffrey Martin Kessler, fell after pausing below the 100-foot peak of the bluff to fire one of the weapons, which had been snatched hours earlier by a second man during a home burglary in Santa Rosa, sheriff's Sgt. Tim Duke said.

The other man, 24-year-old Joseph John Browder Sr. of Santa Rosa, was jailed Saturday on suspicion of grand theft of firearms and possession of stolen property. Browder, a friend of Kessler's, also had violated the terms of his probation, sheriff's officials said.

Sgt. Duke said Browder stole eight guns and a large amount of ammunition Friday night in unincorporated Santa Rosa, before traveling with Kessler and two others to a spot just north of Jenner.

The friends parked in a Highway 1 turnout and hiked down a steep trail to a private cove, where they fired more than 100 rifle rounds into the cliffs, Duke said. He said Kessler later walked off alone with two guns.

Browder heard Kessler discharge one of the rifles and then yell for help, Duke said. Browder soon found Kessler at the base of the bluff.

Kessler's friends tried to hide seven of the guns and the remaining ammunition in brush off Highway 1, Duke said, but investigators found them. The eighth rifle, Duke said, was located at a homeless encampment in Santa Rosa where Kessler had been staying.

Kessler's older brother said Kessler had a son from a marriage and a daughter named Ylnevaeh ("Heavenly" backward) with his current girlfriend.

Edward Kessler, 30, of Phoenix, said his brother grew up in Yuma, Ariz., and Rohnert Park. He made "a lot of bad choices when he was younger," dropping out of school and spending time in juvenile hall, Kessler said.

He said his brother, who worked at a sandwich shop, had recently enrolled in community college in an effort to gain enough credits to join the Army.

E-mail Demian Bulwa at dbulwa@sfchronicle.com.

I fixed it for the editor.

duenor
05-01-2008, 6:53 PM
I have less sympathy for gun burglars than drunk drivers.
If I find the guy who took my reg aw ar15 one day i will do unmentionable things to him.

JTROKS
05-01-2008, 7:36 PM
Pure Karma. I wonder what other "bad choices" they would do with those stolen guns? .

E. Fudd
05-01-2008, 8:38 PM
I was out for a long Sunday drive (on Sunday) and happened to drive by that beach without knowing the story of what had happened. A day later and there were still a bunch of LEO's on the beach and a helo circling the area. I thought maybe it was another drowning or a shark attack.

Wondered if the idiot fired off an elephant gun or something (in the dark, on a cliff...) Would have made a good youtube vid... :rolleyes:

Wonder if before the fall he said something like, "Hey dudes, watch this!"