PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle compatible Rifle bag / Backpack

Vectrexer
04-28-2008, 2:53 PM
Hi All,

Are there any of you out there who transport thier rifle to the range/hunt by motorcycle? I am looking to replace the bags I am using at this point. Even though the ones I currently use have straps, they are not really meant to carry for long. Or cor one of the cases on on the back.

It would seem I need a great backpack style of drag bag. But not the cheap ones which seem to be as cheaply made as they are to buy.

I also need something that either (a) is cross carried diagonally across the shoulders, or (b) is angled and supported slightly away from the head area. The requirement is due the helmet worn enroute to the shooting site. The helmet will rub against the bags I have tried when the rifle is mounted directly against my back. Angling the rifle at the top of the pack would allow for a more natural head position when a helmet is worn.

The rifle (Remington 700 sized) will also have scope mounted.

I would like to stay away from a scabbard or fork mounted rack if possible.

So does anyone out there have any ideas on this topic?

somecallmetim
04-28-2008, 3:29 PM
I may be wrong, but I think that if you plan on transporting your rifle through any areas that fall within the 1000 ft radius "no gun zone" around a K-12 school, then you would have to keep it in a locked hard case.

BlackReef
04-28-2008, 3:30 PM
http://thefilter.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/motorcycle_diaries.jpg

Vectrexer
04-28-2008, 3:58 PM
Why hard locked instead of just a locked case? There will be a cable lock through the receiver in addition to the case. It's not like could just sling it off, take aim, and start taking out children.

BTW, I have a daughter and live across the street from a school. In the event of a true gun violence episode. I would be more likely to call the police and/or take out the shooter. Not that the former is likely to arrive in time to save my daughter, or latter is likely to happen before the police get there.

Sorry for that diversion,,, still looking for the perfect bag / backpack.

Vectrexer
04-28-2008, 3:59 PM
http://thefilter.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/motorcycle_diaries.jpg

Would be a good gun rack if he was available to carry all the time. :)

USN CHIEF
04-28-2008, 4:22 PM
Use a standard Issued Seabag...

Vectrexer
04-29-2008, 8:00 AM
Pretty good idea. I have one too from my Navy days. I have a feeeling my helmet will still be in the way but it is another cheap thing to try.

AJAX22
04-29-2008, 8:09 AM
Just use a soft guitar case

chsk9
04-29-2008, 10:25 AM
check cheaper than dirt- they have lots of options. The drag bag they sell is actually a good buy for the money.

Vectrexer
04-29-2008, 11:26 AM
If I have to convert to a fixed mount for my ST1000 I may go the MP5 direction.

I may also look for a saddelbag from a downed ST and modify it for my bike. I will have to fashio some kind of extensions for the stock and the barrel to proect them. But At least I won't have to worry about scope protection since it would be inside the closed bag. Dismount would be qucker too.

But I am still leaning towards the backpack at this time.