PDA

View Full Version : How do out-of-state relative transfers work?

Phugedaboudet
04-28-2008, 2:39 PM
Here's the situation. There is a pistol I've wanted for years that was too rare to ever get approved in CA. They quit making them a number of years ago. It's the Mateba Unica 9 semiauto revolver.

I'm not the sharpest knife in the block when it comes to CA legalese. If I understand it correctly, there's no way I can purchase one of these out of state and have it shipped to a FFL here for me to take possession of. But, if I were to have my stepfather in WA state buy it, could he transfer it to me thru a FFL here in CA? I'm not talking or looking for strawman purchase-I have a current HSC and clean record, and have purchased handguns here in CA as recently as last year.

the Matebas have tripled in value over the last few years, soon I won't have a chance in hell of affording one. They're not old enough to fit under C&R stuff. And since it was a limited production run it's not a "custom" firearm.

Other than some sort of "relative transfer" what other options could I exercise to legally own one of these here in California? Or would I be stuck having the revolver live in WA under my stepdad's custody (gah, sounds like a divorce!) and only get to shoot it once every year or two when I can afford to travel up to see my folks?

hawk1
04-28-2008, 3:05 PM
You have it right. Your father can gift it to you and transfer it through your local FFL.

marc4
04-28-2008, 3:10 PM
Its his "stepdad" who owns it. I don't think he can do a family transfer with him. Maybe have your stepdad transfer it to your mom then have your mom gift it to you. Does that sound right?

Phugedaboudet
04-28-2008, 3:18 PM
unfortunately, nobody "owns" it yet. I'm still about $800 short of getting one. If I get my mother to buy it (Stop or my mom will shoot!) then it should go easier?

Also, would I have to have her bring it with her to CA, or could the paperwork be handled between her and a FFL up there and myself and a FFL down here?

Its his "stepdad" who owns it. I don't think he can do a family transfer with him. Maybe have your stepdad transfer it to your mom then have your mom gift it to you. Does that sound right?

Librarian
04-28-2008, 3:23 PM
Sounds 'cleaner' - family transfer is parent/grandparent to child/grandchild (and back); I really don't know about step-parents.

Find a co-operative FFL, since interstate transfer requires the CA FFL, arrange to pay transfer fees, have family ship the gun as a gift.

ETA.

Hmm. "Mom, I'm giving you a gift of $1300 (or whatever $$). I'd really appreciate it if you'd give me a gift of a Mateba for my birthday." That might be OK, but it doesn't seem like a line I'd care to walk, myself.

mymonkeyman
04-28-2008, 3:44 PM
If his step-dad has adopted him, then he's his "parent," if not, he's not. The key to this is finding a CA FFL that understands how to process this transaction and is willing to do so for a reasonable fee.

hawk1
04-28-2008, 4:15 PM
I completely missed the step part. :eek:

whomper
05-03-2008, 12:19 PM
...The key to this is finding a CA FFL that understands how to process this transaction and is willing to do so for a reasonable fee.

That's the kicker, right there. One of my local FFLs wants an official DOJ letter pertaining to the legality of it. He had a DOJ BOF in his shop. She told him that my father could give me the handgun while I was visiting Texas, and I could bring it back. Which would have violated federal law...

I just need to get off my butt and get the letter sent out.

mymonkeyman
05-03-2008, 1:04 PM
That's the kicker, right there. One of my local FFLs wants an official DOJ letter pertaining to the legality of it. He had a DOJ BOF in his shop. She told him that my father could give me the handgun while I was visiting Texas, and I could bring it back. Which would have violated federal law...

I just need to get off my butt and get the letter sent out.

Yea pretty much everyone at the DOJ who isn't a lawyer is completely retarded when it comes to not violating the law. The lawyers are only about 80% retarded.