PDA

View Full Version : US made AK brake/comp - what you use?

MrNiceGuy
04-28-2008, 2:31 PM
I got a US made brake that's identical to the one on that came with my Romy kit (for 922r compliance).

Found the recoil to be a little harsh, with a tendency to make the rifle jump to the left.
I'm guessing the original Romy brake (which looks identical to my US made brake) will yield the same result.

I want to try other US made brake/compensator that'll fit my Romy build to see if it'll calm the recoil down a bit (or by alot hopefully).

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

joe_sun
04-28-2008, 2:43 PM
Wow man.. I've got to take you out with my M44 Nagant if you think the 7.62x39 kicks ;)

This is the best compensator avalible for the AK
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/AKConcepts_7.62x39_AK_Recoil_Compensator.html

mike22ca
04-28-2008, 3:14 PM
I have the J-Tac AK comp on mine. Not that there's a whole lot of recoil in the first place, I just wasnt a big fan of the slant brake that came on it.

fireblast713
04-28-2008, 3:23 PM
I've heard good things about the AK-74 style brakes, you might want to look into those, the J-Tac ones are also good, but the people in the stalls next to you will hate you. Also 7.62x39 shouldn't kick that much, esp if you shoulder the rifle properly.

JeffM
04-28-2008, 3:24 PM
Are you left handed?

Those slant breaks are timed for right handed shooters. The muzzle tends to move up and to the right, so the break pushes the muzzle down and left. Left handed shooters the muzzle will move up and to the left, so the break will exacerbate the horizontal movement.

AK74 style breaks are quite effective, but most of them also push to the left.

JeffM
04-28-2008, 3:27 PM
I've heard good things about the AK-74 style brakes, you might want to look into those, the J-Tac ones are also good, but the people in the stalls next to you will hate you. Also 7.62x39 shouldn't kick that much, esp if you shoulder the rifle properly.

It can depend on how long your range sessions are. I've come away from days of shooting x39 with a purple butplate shaped mark on my shoulder. After several hundred rounds of shooting offhand, the arms can get tired and it's easy to let your hold get sloppy.

Wil-c
04-28-2008, 3:35 PM
If you're right-handed, the Mark Krebs AK-74 style brake is the one to use. Jeff M is correct, I'm left-handed and that brake did exactly what he's talking about. However even with that there was a huge improvement on the rifle. My friends who're right-handed were all very surprised at the difference. Also, get the buffer pad from buffer technologies. It also made a very noticeable improvement. Both of these went on a type 99 rifle and made it much easier to shoot.
If you're a southpaw, there is hope. If you have a drill the original holes can be filled in and the break redrilled on the opposite side for us lefties. It does work but takes a bit patience.

ghost
04-28-2008, 3:51 PM
+1 for the j-tac brake,it really does make a difference in recoil.the stock slant brake is mainly used for full auto shooting since it keeps the muzzle down during the bursts,not really meant for recoil.you can go wrong using the j-tac or ak74 style brake.

oaklander
04-28-2008, 3:57 PM
There's some disagreement about the recoil buffers. Another solution to lessen recoil is to use a stronger recoil spring - Wolff makes one - and Brownells sells it. It's 15 percent stronger than the stock one.

One issue that I've seen with some AK's is that the BCG "hits" the rear trunnion - according to the guys over at AKFILES, it should actually stop about 3 mm before hitting the rear trunnion.

Some of the recoil that you are feeling is that "metal-on-metal" from the BCG slamming into the rear trunnion (which is fixed with the heavier spring).

fireblast713
04-28-2008, 4:53 PM
It can depend on how long your range sessions are. I've come away from days of shooting x39 with a purple butplate shaped mark on my shoulder. After several hundred rounds of shooting offhand, the arms can get tired and it's easy to let your hold get sloppy.

That is very true, sorry didn't qualify my answer :)

Addax
04-28-2008, 5:22 PM
The slant brake is designed to keep the rifle shooting down and to the left since the AK series in 7.62x39 has a tendency to rise to the right due to the bolt set up and extraction, the rifle feels like it wants to pull right without the slant brake on it.

You will notice the right hand pulling tendency when shooting automatic or bursts (which virtually many of us can't here in California), that slant brake was designed like that on purpose.

If you go with a 74 style US mfg brake it is ported so that it keeps the rifle mostly center when firing.

My recommendation if you are budget concious is to pick up a US mfg. AK74 style (make sure it is bored out for .30 cal (7.62x39) and try this out.

If you are not budget concious, the Primary Weapons FSC47 is the best.

We have all three types in stock.:D
PM me if you want more info.

The recoil buffers work well, but there have been some issues with some rifles where it screws up the timing of extraction and you get jams etc. If you have a Wasr/Romy build it should work ok.

I have tried the recoil buffer on one of my custom built AK rifles (polish AK) and it worked fine.

M. Sage
04-28-2008, 7:06 PM
IMO, the J-Tac is one of the best brakes out there. People at benches next to you might complain, but the noise is nowhere near as bad as some M1As I've shot next to. IMO, it's comparable to being next to a 16" AR.

Are you left handed?

Those slant breaks are timed for right handed shooters. The muzzle tends to move up and to the right, so the break pushes the muzzle down and left. Left handed shooters the muzzle will move up and to the left, so the break will exacerbate the horizontal movement.

AK74 style breaks are quite effective, but most of them also push to the left.

They push left because of the shooting form typically used at the time. Out on the shoulder, not centered-in more and a bit higher. If your rifle jumps right on recoil, and it isn't because of your muzzle device, your form is wrong.

The slant brake is designed to keep the rifle shooting down and to the left since the AK series in 7.62x39 has a tendency to rise to the right due to the bolt set up and extraction, the rifle feels like it wants to pull right without the slant brake on it.

:confused: I disagree. My AK with the J-Tac brake doesn't jump right, so long as I've got it shouldered properly. Likewise, the AKs I've shot that have no muzzle brake don't jump right if I shoulder them properly, either.

It's funny that with the slant comp on my Romy, it jumped down and left, mainly because of how I shoulder my rifle (the right way).

If your rifle climbs up and out toward your strong side when you fire, watch this video for why (and how to fix it): http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid452320104/bclid824098518/bctid1137697611

The slant comp pushing down and left is to accommodate right-handed shooters using a poor stance and full-auto.

MrNiceGuy
04-28-2008, 7:56 PM
Wow....Calgunners' got some serious knowledge.

Yep, I'm a southpaw.
And yes, the AK jump low the the left.
Can't comment on how I shoulder my AK, I tuck it in like my AR (on my chest near my armpit).

I'm gonna got with the J-Tac and the recoil buffer like everyone suggested.

(scurries off to start an AK sight thread)

jacques
04-28-2008, 10:11 PM
74 style is good. There are some here:

http://www.shop.preciseinnovationsllc.com/category.sc?categoryId=2

And : Dinzag Arms has brakes also.

Here's a 74 style. This picture does not show it mounted correctly, it is just slapped on there for a picture.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj263/jacques102/DSC00043.jpg

1lostinspace
04-28-2008, 10:45 PM
I like the slant simple not the best but cheap and effective

jacques
04-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Come to think of it, I have a 74 style from Dinzag I am not going to use because I decided not to modify my Saiga and adding it on there would mean compliance parts etc. etc.

Plus I needed RH threaded for my VZ.

It is unused and if you want to buy it, I paid $36.50 shipped for it. I will sell it for $20. Pm me if you want it.

fireblast713
04-29-2008, 1:49 AM
:confused: I disagree. My AK with the J-Tac brake doesn't jump right, so long as I've got it shouldered properly. Likewise, the AKs I've shot that have no muzzle brake don't jump right if I shoulder them properly, either.

It's only a real issue with select fire guns, Addax mentions it in a later paragraph, firing 1 round at a time you won't really notice it, but if you look on youtube videos, or have ever fired a FA AK, you'll notice they then to pull up and to the right.