PDA

View Full Version : Magpul Gen II or III follower in a Stag 10/30 Mag

Kooter
04-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Just wanted to say thanks in advance for any help. Long time lurker here, and finally had to ask my first question after hours of searching.

I got a great deal from riflegear.com on a couple 10/30 Stag mags, so thats why I have them. The stag mags have a notch in the mag itself to prevent the follower from accepting more than 10 rounds.

Does anyone have any experience with using a magpul follower in lieu of the standard green USGI follower? I'm just wondering if there are clearance issues with the magpul follower and the limiting method (notch) stag uses for the 10/30 mags.

If all else fails, i'll be getting the magpul followers in this week, so I can follow up with what I find.

DedEye
04-28-2008, 10:42 AM
I don't think it's possible to install the Magpul follower since the mags are intended to be permanently fixed at 10 rounds.

Whether you can or not, if you aren't having feeding or reliability issues, there isn't much point (not that I haven't replaced all my USGI followers with Magpuls ;)).

Kooter
04-28-2008, 10:49 AM
There is a slight feeding problem, the tilt on the USGI follower is allowing the brass to clip the edge of the mag, unless this is common.

Next purchase was going to be some additional 10 round C-product mags, and according to the description, they have the gen III followers already installed.

I just think the real issue is (IMO) that its kind of a mickey mouse way of limiting the rounds it can accept. I'm pretty sure when I try and install them, the little notch is going to grab the bottom of the magpul follower and only allow like 5 rounds.

I wonder if I can buy some 30 round rebuild kits, and just drill a hole in the appropriate location and place a rivet there. Hmmm...

DedEye
04-28-2008, 11:00 AM
There is a slight feeding problem, the tilt on the USGI follower is allowing the brass to clip the edge of the mag, unless this is common.

Next purchase was going to be some additional 10 round C-product mags, and according to the description, they have the gen III followers already installed.

I just think the real issue is (IMO) that its kind of a mickey mouse way of limiting the rounds it can accept. I'm pretty sure when I try and install them, the little notch is going to grab the bottom of the magpul follower and only allow like 5 rounds.

I wonder if I can buy some 30 round rebuild kits, and just drill a hole in the appropriate location and place a rivet there. Hmmm...

Just putting a rivet wouldn't be enough; you'd have to weld or make the modification permanent in some other fashion.

My vote is to just go with C Products 10/10 magazines; they're great mags and I've had no problems with mine.

Mine also came with Gen II Magpul followers, but now that Gen III is out C Products has probably switched over.

Kooter
04-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Cool, thanks for the responses

shark92651
04-28-2008, 11:34 AM
The Stag mags are made by NHMTG and have USGI followers, not Magpuls, and there really is no way to safely modify them to accept a Magpul. I'm offering the Stag magazines while I am waiting for C Products to get off their butts and send me my back-ordered 10/20 and 10/30 magazines that have real Magpul followers in them.

aplinker
04-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Just putting a rivet wouldn't be enough; you'd have to weld or make the modification permanent in some other fashion.

My vote is to just go with C Products 10/10 magazines; they're great mags and I've had no problems with mine.

Mine also came with Gen II Magpul followers, but now that Gen III is out C Products has probably switched over.

I disagree... a rivet is plenty to be considered "permanent," given that there are plenty of DOJ-approved handgun mags that are far less "permanent."

The easiest to do would be Magpul PMAGS - and they happen to be excellent mags. I'd suggest their new 10/20 mags.

44mag.com

DedEye
04-28-2008, 12:56 PM
I disagree... a rivet is plenty to be considered "permanent," given that there are plenty of DOJ-approved handgun mags that are far less "permanent."

The easiest to do would be Magpul PMAGS - and they happen to be excellent mags. I'd suggest their new 10/20 mags.

44mag.com

Magpul makes factory 10/20 PMAGs :confused:?

trinydex
04-28-2008, 3:23 PM
yarly http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=98565

trinydex
04-28-2008, 3:24 PM

44mag.com

are you still doing your mag dealie?

aplinker
04-28-2008, 7:35 PM
Magpul makes 20's that would be better for conversion, Dedeye. The typing didn't follow my thought. ;)

are you still doing your mag dealie?

The buy is over... they're in process now.