PDA

View Full Version : Hardshell case for good price?

BP88
04-27-2008, 5:04 PM
Hey, I'm currently searching for a hardshell or something durable as a case for my 16" AR15. Preferably one with no shape cut out into the foam. I'd also like it to have some other compartments for magazines and cleaning equipment. What would you guys recommend?

USN CHIEF
04-27-2008, 5:15 PM
Pelican 1720 on ebay for about 160 bucks shipped...

BP88
04-27-2008, 6:35 PM
Eesh... anything a little cheaper?

USN CHIEF
04-27-2008, 6:47 PM
Eesh... anything a little cheaper?

Sorry Amigo... Might as well save your pennies and buy that than buying something cheap that will damage your rifle if you drop the case... If you need something for now, you can always get one of them padded carry cases that they sell for about 30 bucks.. There was a sell on them things not too long ago, go to to the Good Commercial deals thread...

StraightShooter
04-27-2008, 6:53 PM
Honestly unless you have an extremely expensive rifle then I wouldnt worry about getting a Pelican. You can get a nice aluminum case for less. You wont damage your rifle by dropping it when it is in any hard case as long as it is held firmly. I even made a case out of wood once that I stained in a really nice color and it worked great. Pelicans are overpriced. Just get something that works.

malibu
04-27-2008, 6:58 PM
Plano ProMax (http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Protector-Pillared-Double-Rifle/dp/B000P583SQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1209351403&sr=1-3)

you can throw it off a truck and its fine.

Bimmer2
04-27-2008, 7:12 PM
Plano ProMax (http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Protector-Pillared-Double-Rifle/dp/B000P583SQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1209351403&sr=1-3)

There's a Plano case, same series, for take-down shotguns, and it's 38" long. I think your AR would probably fit... I'm thinking of getting one myself!

Ben

Jicko
04-27-2008, 8:04 PM
+1 on pelican...

If you want a hardshell case....

And $200 is a good price already....

Anything else, just get a soft case, the protection is just similar... you can get one for like $30.... YHM has a nice one...

For a $2-3k rifle, spend the $200 bucks.

Jicko
04-27-2008, 8:06 PM

Can you stand on it and it won't warp??

NiteQwill
04-27-2008, 8:24 PM
What about Storm Cases? I have two, longterm abuse... still in good perfect condition.

Fjold
04-27-2008, 8:25 PM
You can get a Tuffpack for about $350 here http://www.huntersheadquarters.net/

Exposed
04-27-2008, 9:26 PM
You can get a cheap Doskosport single rifle hard case at Big5 for about $15 and a double rifle for $25. I have the double case for my HK USC and Remington 870. It works just fine, I mean, I dont travel far with my guns so I dont need anything too fancy. I think they all work the same. Ive seen these casees that advertise throwing them off the 5th story of a building and not damaging your gun. Unless you live on the 5th story of some building thats on fire (which I dont) I just dont see the point, especially when I can get something just to take my guns to and from someplace about 20 min away for 1/50th of the price of those fancy things. Now my safe is a different story. My safe is up there in price because if someone tries to take my guns when Im not home, they will have to plan it out and work really, really hard for it. When it comes to a safe, dont comprimise quality.

BP88
04-27-2008, 9:36 PM
You can get a cheap Doskosport single rifle hard case at Big5 for about $15 and a double rifle for $25. I have the double case for my HK USC and Remington 870. It works just fine, I mean, I dont travel far with my guns so I dont need anything too fancy. I think they all work the same. Ive seen these casees that advertise throwing them off the 5th story of a building and not damaging your gun. Unless you live on the 5th story of some building thats on fire (which I dont) I just dont see the point, especially when I can get something just to take my guns to and from someplace about 20 min away for 1/50th of the price of those fancy things. Now my safe is a different story. My safe is up there in price because if someone tries to take my guns when Im not home, they will have to plan it out and work really, really hard for it. When it comes to a safe, dont comprimise quality.

Thanks man! I'll have to check out big5 tomorrow.

duenor
04-27-2008, 9:54 PM
I strongly suggest against getting hard cases.
I use WOLF brand carbine soft cases for my ARs, AKs, etc.
I can sling five rifles over my shoulder, throw on my pack, and carry two cans of ammo. the chump with the huge wheeled trailer hitch gun case has to make a buncha trips to his car from the line to get all his stuff there, risking getting stuff stolen in the process.

also, don't forget that in most passenger cars you are not going to have room for more than one or two cases at the most.

you don't need all that much protection for most non-scoped guns.

when you get into precision rifles then consider an expensive hard case.

malibu
04-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Can you stand on it and it won't warp??

yeah, it has pillars in the middle, so its crush proof. I have put it on two logs and used it as a bench. The price has went up a bit, I got it a few months ago. Walmart had it for 35 bucks on the website with free site to store. I got it as a hardcase for some long guns to fly with. Kind of big for an AR though.

Exposed
04-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Thanks man! I'll have to check out big5 tomorrow.

No problem. Here is the one I have, however, its cheaper at Big5 because, well its corporate and they can afford to be cheaper.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/SS-45504.html

BP88
04-28-2008, 12:16 AM
No problem. Here is the one I have, however, its cheaper at Big5 because, well its corporate and they can afford to be cheaper.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/SS-45504.html

That's actually exactly what I want. Once again, thank you!

SunriseF150
04-28-2008, 8:39 AM
Anyone recommend a hard case that will fit a 1919A4? It came with a Doskosport single rifle case but it is bloated since it is not wide enough for it. I'm thinking a Pelican so I can cut the foam so it has a nice slot to fit into.

Exposed
04-28-2008, 10:22 AM
Anyone recommend a hard case that will fit a 1919A4? It came with a Doskosport single rifle case but it is bloated since it is not wide enough for it. I'm thinking a Pelican so I can cut the foam so it has a nice slot to fit into.

I dont know man, thats a pretty big gun. I dont know why they put it in a rifle case since its hardly a rifle, thats more of a mini gun that is suppose to be mounted right? I think thats the 1919A4 (sorry, dont know too much about that gun but I think its the one Im thinking of) anyway, sorry, I dont know of a good cheap case for the giant gun.