PDA

View Full Version : Any Remington 700SS 5R Mil-Spec Owners Here?

jandmtv
04-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Hi guys, have a few questions for the Rem 700 5r owners here.
Thanks in advance

Happy with your purchase/any regrets?

Whats your best group at 100 and 200 yards?

Did you do any upgrades to it, and did they improve accuracy?

Do you reload or use factory ammo?

If you reload, whats your best load that the rifle seems to like?

Solidsnake87
04-27-2008, 12:26 PM
You can find some excellent reviews through a simple google search. From what I've read, this is the BEST factory remington 700 available to the general public. The trigger is amazing and once its reset to about 3.5 lbs you will have one heck of a rifle. Federal Gold (don't remember the weight) groups at .3 MOA or less with a decent mount and glass, according to several of the reviews I remember. I've been considering that rifle as the basis for a AICS remy 700 build. If you pick it up it will be a purchase you won't regret!

jandmtv
04-27-2008, 1:16 PM
You can find some excellent reviews through a simple google search. From what I've read, this is the BEST factory remington 700 available to the general public. The trigger is amazing and once its reset to about 3.5 lbs you will have one heck of a rifle. Federal Gold (don't remember the weight) groups at .3 MOA or less with a decent mount and glass, according to several of the reviews I remember. I've been considering that rifle as the basis for a AICS remy 700 build. If you pick it up it will be a purchase you won't regret!

Thanks, but i have read all of the reviews, im looking for input from calgunners. I have been reading up on this rifle for a while now, but have never talked to anyone who has one.

Solidsnake87
04-27-2008, 5:39 PM
There have been some for sale on the forums, perhaps you could look up the convos and send some PMs. Thats should get you what you want.

Cypriss32
04-27-2008, 5:51 PM

Why not its a remington?

As good as you the shooter can shoot.

The sky is the limit......... Its a remington. JUST GET GOOD RINGS, BASE and SCOPE.
Nightforce is king right now. CAN NOT be beat by anything for the money.

Shoot 175gr SMKS, 178gr AMAX, or 155gr Scenars.
RL-15, or Varget seem to be powders of choice.
Stick with win brass and eather 210Federals, or CCI Br-2s.

jandmtv
04-27-2008, 7:22 PM
Why not its a remington?

The sky is the limit......... Its a remington. JUST GET GOOD RINGS, BASE and SCOPE.

thanks for not answering any of my questions, but rather expressing your opinions.

now, does anyone that actually owns a 5r care to chime in?

Cypriss32
04-27-2008, 8:18 PM
I answered your questions. You dont know **** about precision rifles then.

jandmtv
04-27-2008, 8:36 PM
I answered your questions. You dont know **** about precision rifles then.

ok lets look at your answers

Why not its a remington?

hmmmm, just because its a remington people are not allowed to regret a purchase?

doesnt really answer my question, does it! I asked about actuall groups, not shooter ability

did i ask what types of upgrades were out there for this rifle? NO, im well aware of all the upgrades available for the rem700 platform.
i asked what upgrades members here had done to their rifles and if those upgrades improved accuracy!

and finally, did i ask what type of components to use to load ammo for the rem 5r? or did i ask which load the 5r seems to like?

now b4 you jump to the conclusion that i know nothing about precision rifles, consider this, perhaps you do not know how to properly read and answer questions.

Cypriss32
04-27-2008, 8:44 PM
Ok it seems that I dont know **** about anything. If you knew anything. You would how much stuff is out there for rems....... But know that dont you.
You would also know that there is not load that shoots the same in your own gun..... Im shure you knew that thow right.

But then again what do I know.....

jandmtv
04-27-2008, 8:51 PM
Ok it seems that I dont know **** about anything. If you knew anything. You would how much stuff is out there for rems....... But know that dont you.
You would also know that there is not load that shoots the same in your own gun..... Im shure you knew that thow right.

But then again what do I know.....

that makes sense how?

also, i do know how much stuff there is for the rems, but since the 5r is more accurate than the standard 700p, i was wondering if any of the upgrades out there further improved its accuracy. But i guess understanding a simple question like that is too much to ask for.

and yes, i know what you are trying to say about the same load performing differently in different rifles of the same make/model. now please stop posting on this thread if you have nothing more to add, and leave some room for people that actually know how to read and answer questions.

Cypriss32
04-27-2008, 9:04 PM
You live in hollyweird figured as much........

jandmtv
04-27-2008, 9:17 PM
You live in hollyweird figured as much........

excuse me? just because i proved you wrong, you are going to get bitter and knock where i live? LOL!!!!

how mature of you!

and still you dont know how to read! look closer, it says North Hollywood! which is very different than Hollywood. Keep digging that hole.

rksimple
04-27-2008, 9:18 PM
that makes sense how?

also, i do know how much stuff there is for the rems, but since the 5r is more accurate than the standard 700p, i was wondering if any of the upgrades out there further improved its accuracy. But i guess understanding a simple question like that is too much to ask for.

and yes, i know what you are trying to say about the same load performing differently in different rifles of the same make/model. now please stop posting on this thread if you have nothing more to add, and leave some room for people that actually know how to read and answer questions.

You're not going to get a lot of responses over here on 5r's. Take a look over on snipershide or the like. You're questions are already answered over there. Just remember, on the internet, everyone has a .2 or .3 rifle. In the end with the 5r, you still have a factory barrel made to factory barrel specs.

jandmtv
04-27-2008, 9:28 PM
You're not going to get a lot of responses over here on 5r's. Take a look over on snipershide or the like. You're questions are already answered over there. Just remember, on the internet, everyone has a .2 or .3 rifle. In the end with the 5r, you still have a factory barrel made to factory barrel specs.

thats why i dont trust the reviews i read elsewhere, and the reason for me asking our members here. i find calgunners to be honest about their rifles, good or bad.

rksimple
04-27-2008, 9:34 PM
When you want to talk precision/tac rifles, you go to SH. Thats it. You'll get the nitty gritty. They are brutally honest. I've heard some ridiculous claims made on all boards, including this one. Don't be so naive to think that you'll get the straight scoop just because you're on calguns.

jandmtv
04-27-2008, 9:48 PM
When you want to talk precision/tac rifles, you go to SH. Thats it. You'll get the nitty gritty. They are brutally honest. I've heard some ridiculous claims made on all boards, including this one. Don't be so naive to think that you'll get the straight scoop just because you're on calguns.

not being naive, i just trust certain members here on calguns. but judging from the lack of response, ill take your advice and try SH.

Thanks!

JMN68
04-27-2008, 9:57 PM
To answer your question. I am a 5R owner and have shot that rifle stock with a Leupy scope and BO base for the last year and a half. With Black Hill 168gr match and home reload, I and averaging .2 for home and .4 for Black Hill at 100m. For me the rifle was and is still and excellent purchased.

jandmtv
04-27-2008, 10:45 PM
To answer your question. I am a 5R owner and have shot that rifle stock with a Leupy scope and BO base for the last year and a half. With Black Hill 168gr match and home reload, I and averaging .2 for home and .4 for Black Hill at 100m. For me the rifle was and is still and excellent purchased.

thanks for the response.

ar15barrels
04-28-2008, 12:45 AM
Thanks, but i have read all of the reviews, im looking for input from calgunners. I have been reading up on this rifle for a while now, but have never talked to anyone who has one.

I have a friend in TX with one.
He says it's the most accurate bolt gun he's ever shot, but he's a factory gun shooter, not a custom gun shooter.
He shoots Federal 168 GMM and saves me all the once fired brass. :)

ar15barrels
04-28-2008, 12:47 AM
doesnt really answer my question, does it! I asked about actuall groups, not shooter ability

Dude, you are digging a hole you don't want to see the bottom of...
Group size is ALL about shooter skill.
It's easy to make accurate ammo, just choose good components, develop a load and keep everything consistent.
Consistently shooting small groups is the hard part.

jandmtv
04-28-2008, 1:07 AM
Dude, you are digging a hole you don't want to see the bottom of...
Group size is ALL about shooter skill.
It's easy to make accurate ammo, just choose good components, develop a load and keep everything consistent.
Consistently shooting small groups is the hard part.

Randall, I was more curious about the rifles capability, most of the reviews i read online said the 5r is a .3moa rifle using 175 grain smk's while the best a stock 700p could do is .5moa. i just wanted to know weather this was true or internet bull. i know shooter skill has a lot to do with it. and i doubt i am a .3moa shooter. the best group i have ever shot was just under 1" at 100yrds with my ar using my reloads.

ar15barrels
04-28-2008, 1:12 AM
Randall, I was more curious about the rifles capability, most of the reviews i read online said the 5r is a .3moa rifle using 175 grain smk's while the best a stock 700p could do is .5moa.

There are stock 700pss that shoot well under 1/2 MOA, but it's rare to find a shooter that does it.
The main thing you would be buying in a 5R 700 is the likelyhood of a better barrel.
Note that these are NOT Rock 5R barrels.
They are still remington produced barrels, but they have the 5R rifling profile.
The main advantage (my opinion again) of the 5R barrel is that it's stainless and therefore easier to machine more consistently.
The difficulty of machining chromoly steel (due to variations in steel alloy) is what keeps every 700 from shooting as good as the stainless barreled variants.

roor1200
05-07-2008, 12:21 AM
:threadjacked: not to thread jack but, where would one be able to find a 700 5r locally in so cal. after reading this thread, it made me want to get a 700 5r afterall. i was really debating a fn spr. what is the going rate? i checked gb and there werent many options. thanks.

Rich776
05-07-2008, 8:57 AM
:threadjacked: not to thread jack but, where would one be able to find a 700 5r locally in so cal. after reading this thread, it made me want to get a 700 5r afterall. i was really debating a fn spr. what is the going rate? i checked gb and there werent many options. thanks.

I want to get one as well

guns_and_labs
05-07-2008, 9:20 AM
Hi guys, have a few questions for the Rem 700 5r owners here.
Thanks in advance

Yes, I'm happy, no regrets. But I still prefer the Blaser LRS2; this is back-up.
.35 at 100, .9 at 200 (that's me, not the rifle).
No upgrades, unless you include the scope, which I changed from Leupold to Meopta.
Factory -- Federal 175 SMKs.

Mute
05-07-2008, 10:48 AM
I've shot a pretty good number of Rem 700's over the years. Most of the heavy barrel variety seem to deliver, on average, .75 MOA with FGMM. I've shot two different 5R 700s and put approx. 200 rounds down range through those two and the groups averaged, about .5 MOA on one and the other a little larger, but under .75 MOA. Based on my experience, they are somewhat more accurate than other non 5R heavy barrel 700s, but don't expect it to perform the same as a custom barrel.

jandmtv
05-07-2008, 12:52 PM

no one in socal has them in stock, your best bet is to check gunbroker, all of the people that i have talked to that own one here in cali have either gotten it from gunbroker or snipercountrypx, but gunbroker is a better bet as the people who advertise on gb have them on hand ready to ship. you could also check the for sale section of snipers hide, ive seen a few of them pop up for sale there.

Kali_M14
06-15-2008, 7:31 PM
I'll be getting mine soon, purchased it on gunbroker...I don't know when I will be able to shoot it since I will still have to buy a scope and mounts. It is also my first bolt gun and I've never done precision shooting but I will post an update when I do get around to shootin it!

EZ G
06-15-2008, 9:07 PM
I own one and have zero regrets. I have owned several other 700's and have shot the r5 against a stock vssf, and a Jewel Triggered vssf. My r5 witha Jewel Trigger and Leupold Mark 4 rings and a Leupold Mark 4 scope outshot both other rifles by a significant margin.

The difference was tight groups v. holes through holes and all 5 shots touching @ 100 yards. My r5 was handed around and everyone agreed it just plain outshot their rifles. Something else I noticed was that the no go gauge did not go in the r5 and it would close in stock 700's. I think that matters.

Check out snipercountrypx.com they stock them and get them back in periodically as they sell out fast.

IMO a fantastic platfrom for the shooter that wants to buy great rings and glass and shoot better than they thought they could.

P.S. Don't mess around with the trigger. Just get a Jewel and forget about it.

jandmtv
06-15-2008, 9:38 PM
I own one and have zero regrets. I have owned several other 700's and have shot the r5 against a stock vssf, and a Jewel Triggered vssf. My r5 witha Jewel Trigger and Leupold Mark 4 rings and a Leupold Mark 4 scope outshot both other rifles by a significant margin.

The difference was tight groups v. holes through holes and all 5 shots touching @ 100 yards. My r5 was handed around and everyone agreed it just plain outshot their rifles. Something else I noticed was that the no go gauge did not go in the r5 and it would close in stock 700's. I think that matters.

Check out snipercountrypx.com they stock them and get them back in periodically as they sell out fast.

IMO a fantastic platfrom for the shooter that wants to buy great rings and glass and shoot better than they thought they could.

P.S. Don't mess around with the trigger. Just get a Jewel and forget about it.

Why not? I adjusted my X-Mark trigger down to 1.75lbs and it breaks like glass with zero creep and no over travel.

EZ G
06-16-2008, 9:25 AM
Mine did not come with x mark. I had a factory trigger and IMO the Jewel cannot be beat for drop in perfection. I also like the quality of the parts.

If you have an x mark and can make adjustments, by all means save yourself some money.

I think the r5 is perfect for those that do not want to go full custom route but still want something special. Like I said, against a range of other 700's I think the r5 stands a little above.

flyinghi
08-26-2008, 9:10 AM
The first time I shot my 5R I was pulling in .75 MOA at 100yds. Then I gave it to someone who was actually worthy of shooting it and he pulled in .4 MOA :) He did about the same at 300 yds! I figured I should get a rifle that I can "grow into". Having quality equipment is fun!:D

ar15barrels
08-26-2008, 9:25 AM
I shot a neat group with my 700 PSSendero the other day.
This was 3 shots, really quick before a match to verify zero.

http://ar15barrels.com/gfx/coldbore.jpg

I was tempted to fire two more, but they were waiting on me to start the match.

BigBamBoo
08-26-2008, 5:02 PM

MT1
08-26-2008, 9:32 PM
I have a 5R - only taken it to the range once since I got it several months ago due to preparing the house for our first baby. It's got Badger base and rings, my old SS10X scope is on it currently and with 168g BHM ammo it was doing .6 MOA in my hands that have not shoot a precision bolt rifle in over 2 years. I am very happy with it, and know that the groupings will get much smaller once I adjust the trigger and get some more time behind it.

jandmtv
08-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Needless to say, I am very happy with my 5R. After Randall installed the Badger Thruster brake and recrowned the barrel, I have shot constant sub .5 moa 5 shot groups at 100 yards, and a few sub .25 moa 5 shot groups. I think its safe to say that my 5R is capable of shooting .25 moa all day long......I just wish I was :D

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd107/jandmtv/DSC02104.jpg

ar15barrels
08-26-2008, 10:18 PM
Needless to say, I am very happy with my 5R. After Randall installed the Badger Thruster brake and recrowned the barrel, I have shot constant sub .5 moa 5 shot groups at 100 yards, and a few sub .25 moa 5 shot groups. I think its safe to say that my 5R is capable of shooting .25 moa all day long......I just wish I was :D

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd107/jandmtv/DSC02104.jpg

So now you just need to buy a good scope and you will be ready to come shoot some matches...

Prc329
08-26-2008, 10:31 PM
I shot a neat group with my 700 PSSendero the other day.
This was 3 shots, really quick before a match to verify zero.

http://ar15barrels.com/gfx/coldbore.jpg

I was tempted to fire two more, but they were waiting on me to start the match.

You know you are cheating with that rifle. It would be like me saying my rifle was stock :) Wll not cheating but comparing your rifle to a stock Sendero is like comparing a Ford Mustang to a ROUSH Mustang. Not to mention the nut behind the trigger is very capable.

ar15barrels
08-26-2008, 10:39 PM
You know you are cheating with that rifle. It would be like me saying my rifle was stock :) Wll not cheating but comparing your rifle to a stock Sendero is like comparing a Ford Mustang to a ROUSH Mustang. Not to mention the nut behind the trigger is very capable.

It's still a stock remington barrel.
The fact it has fancy bolt knob work or a PSS stock and HS DBM does not change things.

The main reason I shot those 3 rounds was that I had honed out the chamber to get rid of the rust and then flushed the barrel with brake cleaner.
I wanted to check zero after cleaning and re-foul the barrel before the match...

I don't think that the new Nightforce 5.5-22 scope hurt that group either.
It is the best 100yd group I have ever shot with that gun.
Cool thing is it was a quick coldbore group too...

Prc329
08-26-2008, 10:43 PM
I thought the barrel was upgraded. Any who, good shooting.

MT1
08-26-2008, 11:12 PM

That brake looks nice on there - how much functional difference have you noticed?

ar15barrels
08-26-2008, 11:38 PM
I thought the barrel was upgraded. Any who, good shooting.

Not yet.
It's still shooting good so I keep shooting it.
I'm building a 243 and a 223 though.
Once those are done, I'll rebarrel the 308...

jandmtv
08-27-2008, 9:27 AM
That brake looks nice on there - how much functional difference have you noticed?

A LOT!!!! I got the brake because I shoot 100-200 rounds each time I go to the range, so I would come back home with a sore shoulder. Also, I was not able to spot my own hits and misses. Now, I can spot my own hits easily, and I can shoot all day without my shoulder being sore.

I would say that recoil has been reduced by 60% and muzzle climb is all but gone.

jandmtv
08-27-2008, 9:29 AM
So now you just need to buy a good scope and you will be ready to come shoot some matches...

Roger that!

Im still waiting for a good deal to come along. I really want to wait for the NF FFP!

Nefarious
08-27-2008, 9:49 AM
Ok, might as well get a GB going on :D
whos going to get get it all started

Sniper3142
08-27-2008, 9:54 AM

Sorry but I have to disagree with that one.

Nightforce is very good, for a SFP (Second Focal Plane) scope. If you want a FFP scope (as many experienced shooters do), then S&B, USO, and IOR rank at the top of the ladder.

Now... once Nightforce comes out with their FFP scopes... ALL BETS ARE OFF!

:)

That is when the famous rubber will meet the famous road.

;)

ar15barrels
08-27-2008, 9:56 AM

Nightforce is very good, for a SFP (Second Focal Plane) scope.
If you want a FFP scope (as many experienced shooters do), then S&B, USO, and IOR rank at the top of the ladder.

He prefaced it with "for the money".

I'll take all the $1400 S&B and USO scopes you have for sale right now.
I have cash too... ;)

ar15barrels
08-27-2008, 9:57 AM
Internet Talk is Cheap

Man Up, Show Up, or Shut the @#$! Up.

So when are you going to start showing up at matches anyways? ;)

rksimple
08-27-2008, 10:33 AM

Nightforce is very good, for a SFP (Second Focal Plane) scope. If you want a FFP scope (as many experienced shooters do), then S&B, USO, and IOR rank at the top of the ladder.

Take a look at the metric buttload of IORs that are currently going TU on anything that kicks harder than a 223. I used to sing their praises, but its more than good glass that makes a good scope. For the cash, NF is top dog. If I had to pay current price for the 5-26 PMII I have, I think I'd rather have 2 SFP Nightforces and money left over. No doubt the S&B glass is second to none and that has scored me some extra points here and there, but the difference in price is just too much.

Rumors are that NF, seeing how much people are willing to pay for USO's and S&B's, are going to be asking quite a bit for their mil/mil, zero stop, FFP scope when it arives. Time will tell.

MT1
08-27-2008, 4:57 PM
A LOT!!!! I got the brake because I shoot 100-200 rounds each time I go to the range, so I would come back home with a sore shoulder. Also, I was not able to spot my own hits and misses. Now, I can spot my own hits easily, and I can shoot all day without my shoulder being sore.

I would say that recoil has been reduced by 60% and muzzle climb is all but gone.

Sounds good - I'll need to get one put one mine.

Prc329
08-27-2008, 7:36 PM
Take a look at the metric buttload of IORs that are currently going TU on anything that kicks harder than a 223. I used to sing their praises, but its more than good glass that makes a good scope. For the cash, NF is top dog. If I had to pay current price for the 5-26 PMII I have, I think I'd rather have 2 SFP Nightforces and money left over. No doubt the S&B glass is second to none and that has scored me some extra points here and there, but the difference in price is just too much.

Rumors are that NF, seeing how much people are willing to pay for USO's and S&B's, are going to be asking quite a bit for their mil/mil, zero stop, FFP scope when it arives. Time will tell.

My SFP IOR is working great but I agree with Ryan, stay away from the FFP ones for now.

ar15barrels
08-27-2008, 9:38 PM
My SFP IOR is working great but I agree with Ryan, stay away from the FFP ones for now.

Mine died, won't focus very well.

jandmtv
08-27-2008, 9:43 PM
Sounds good - I'll need to get one put one mine.

You won't regret it, and for $60, you can't go wrong.

CRTguns
08-27-2008, 11:44 PM
Shoots just as well as as a Savage 10FP, and ONLY costs $400 more than the Savage!

The new 5R remmy guns are not what they used to be- lie back when Remington actually cared about your feelings.

To Clarify... "5R" does NOT mean, a 5 grrove, right twist barrel.

The designation is to denote that the rifleing, , is cut with a .0005" radius at the root and crest of the lands. Better gas seal, less jacket tear, less fouling, easier cleaning, etc... OR you could just get a Pac-nor polygonal pipe and be happy for life.

Jicko
10-01-2008, 8:28 AM
I just bought a batch of 8, all starting with S666___

StraightShooter
10-01-2008, 8:31 AM
I just bought a batch of 8, all starting with S666___

Why so many?

Nefarious
10-01-2008, 8:34 AM
Why so many?

Why not ;)

Jicko has gotten rid of a few here on the boards .... im still holding out as long as I can ... but....

StraightShooter
10-01-2008, 8:37 AM
Is he making a profit by reselling them? Could be a good idea. Heck, nothin wrong with keepin them either! :) Cant have too many guns! Just curious is all.

Jicko
10-01-2008, 8:38 AM
I was looking for them for a while, and I finally found a distributor who have some, so, I bought the whole batch off him and past them on to my friends and coworkers.

All of us are super happy with this purchase!

Man, the chamber is "tight"..... it is just NOT "yet another Rem700"....

X-NewYawker
10-01-2008, 3:42 PM
Just DROSed one today at Rettings. Ten days from now and a Leupold Mark IV will be resting on top of it.

ar15barrels
10-01-2008, 3:50 PM
Just DROSed one today at Rettings. Ten days from now and a Leupold Mark IV will be resting on top of it.

Steal the USO off that funky bullpup. ;)

X-NewYawker
10-01-2008, 3:54 PM
Are they better?
I always wanted the 50mm tubed USO
That's a twilight shooter!

rksimple
10-01-2008, 4:01 PM
Are they better?
I always wanted the 50mm tubed USO
That's a twilight shooter!

Better? Thats an understatement. You'll find loopy is on the lower end of top-notch tactical scopes. They do have an excellent warranty, however, you just may be more likely to have to use it. For the money, I'd get a Nightforce before a loopy. From there its a big step up (pricewise) to USO, S&B, the new Premier, etc.

ETA: So nobody gets confused, the tube diameter has nothing to do with light transmission. It just allows for more internal adjustment.

ar15barrels
10-01-2008, 4:08 PM
Are they better?

Are you kidding?

X-NewYawker
10-01-2008, 4:43 PM
Are you kidding?

Randall -- what kind of deal can you get on them for a SN-3 Group buy?

BigBamBoo
10-01-2008, 5:24 PM

X-NewYawker
10-01-2008, 6:12 PM
Better? Thats an understatement. You'll find loopy is on the lower end of top-notch tactical scopes. They do have an excellent warranty, however, you just may be more likely to have to use it. For the money, I'd get a Nightforce before a loopy. From there its a big step up (pricewise) to USO, S&B, the new Premier, etc.

ETA: So nobody gets confused, the tube diameter has nothing to do with light transmission. It just allows for more internal adjustment.

Tube dio has no effect on light transmission?
That's why the width has been upped from 7/8 to one inch to 30mm with manufacturers claiming that it gives you more trigger time at dusk -- better "light gathering?"

lasereye
10-01-2008, 6:23 PM

This one?13706

BlackReef
10-01-2008, 6:49 PM
Do all the R700 5R MilSpec models have a Stainless barrel/action?

lasereye
10-01-2008, 7:04 PM
Yes, that why its 700ss(stainless steel) 5R mil-spec.

Mute
10-01-2008, 7:13 PM
Tube dio has no effect on light transmission?
That's why the width has been upped from 7/8 to one inch to 30mm with manufacturers claiming that it gives you more trigger time at dusk -- better "light gathering?"

That's an exaggeration at best by the manufacturers. The ability to "gather" light is much more affected by the quality of the lenses and the coating that is on those lenses. The tube size has very little effect if any. The size of the objective will have a more pronounced affect, obviously because of the larger piece of glass up front.

X-NewYawker
10-01-2008, 7:18 PM
Doesn't teh light have to travel back through the tube? Wouldn't a narrower tube decrease the literal AMOUNT of light that would pass through it compared to a scope with identical lens quality?

rksimple
10-01-2008, 8:02 PM
Doesn't teh light have to travel back through the tube? Wouldn't a narrower tube decrease the literal AMOUNT of light that would pass through it compared to a scope with identical lens quality?

No. Here are a couple threads on it with some in depth explanations:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=621320#Post621320

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=428106#Post428106

ar15barrels
10-01-2008, 9:48 PM

The image converges and then expands back out.
The actual tube diameter has very little effect on light transmission because the light is not collimated.
There the larger tube helps is by giving more room for the erector assembly to move (more usable elevation and windage adjustment range) and a stronger tube based on there being more diameter.

ar15barrels
10-01-2008, 9:49 PM

First off, I don't do group buys anymore.
WAY too much work for the amount of money you can make.

Secondly, US Optics themselves do group buys every year or two to boost sales.
Wait for the next one and get in on the action.

PistolPete75
10-01-2008, 9:57 PM
You guys don't know nothing about 35mm tubing. It's purely to look cool, and it's very weak with little elevation travel.

USO, S&B, and NFs are the worst scopes on the market.

What you want is a Mueller. If you want to go high end on a FFP scope, the Falcon Menace is by far the best performing scope on the market. The IOR FFP comes in 2nd place, however it's much more reliable than the Falcon.

Remington 700s suck. The best precision rifle out is the Mosin-Nagent. The Mosin-Nagant was adapted as a sniper rifle in 1932 and was issued to Soviet snipers so it's gotta be the best.

ar15barrels
10-01-2008, 10:26 PM
You guys don't know nothing about 35mm tubing. It's purely to look cool, and it's very weak with little elevation travel.

What you want is a Mueller. If you want to go high end on a FFP scope, the Falcon Menace is by far the best performing scope on the market. The IOR FFP comes in 2nd place, however it's much more reliable than the Falcon.

Remington 700s suck. The best precision rifle out is the Mosin-Nagent. The Mosin-Nagant was adapted as a sniper rifle in 1932 and was issued to Soviet snipers so it's gotta be the best.

:rofl2:
Pete's been drinking again.

StraightShooter
10-01-2008, 10:28 PM

Amen, finally someone knows what they are talking about! :D

jandmtv
10-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Ill be at ASR tomorrow morning testing out my 5R's new Timney trigger and Tubb Speedlock assembley. If anyone is free, join me for some shootin.

ar15barrels
10-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Ill be at ASR tomorrow morning testing out my 5R's new Timney trigger and Tubb Speedlock assembley. If anyone is free, join me for some shootin.

Go over to irwindale speedway afterwards.
Bring the bike and your leathers.
We will be there before 4pm or so running my neighbor's chevelle...

jandmtv
10-01-2008, 11:36 PM
Go over to irwindale speedway afterwards.
Bring the bike and your leathers.
We will be there before 4pm or so running my neighbor's chevelle...

Is a 1 peice required there?

m24armorer
10-01-2008, 11:39 PM
Screw Irwindale, I still have a chunk of the starting line from the last drag race at Lyons.

Heck, is OCIR even around anymore? I havent raced in years, but I had a 11 sec Camero in street trim in 1979.

ar15barrels
10-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Is a 1 peice required there?

No.
Separate leathers are fine.

ar15barrels
10-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Heck, is OCIR even around anymore? I havent raced in years, but I had a 11 sec Camero in street trim in 1979.

I think you have been gone a while...

http://silverstone.fortunecity.com/bonneville/218/ocir01/ocir01.jpg

Orange County International Raceway--- June 1984

http://silverstone.fortunecity.com/bonneville/218/ocir01/

Jicko
10-02-2008, 11:57 AM

"testing" or "breaking-in"?

M24 Cleaning and Maint Procedures (including breaking in)
http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/downloads/m24_maintenance.pdf

jandmtv
10-02-2008, 1:58 PM
"testing" or "breaking-in"?

M24 Cleaning and Maint Procedures (including breaking in)
http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/downloads/m24_maintenance.pdf

I have over 1000 rounds through my rifle, so I think its already borken in.

Or were you talking about the trigger?

jandmtv
10-02-2008, 2:00 PM
No.
Separate leathers are fine.

If leather pants are required, than I cant make it. I only have leather jacket, gloves, and track boots. Pants are on my to buy list.

lasereye
10-02-2008, 6:35 PM
:driving: :Chevy_anim: What about the 5R?

ar15barrels
10-02-2008, 10:18 PM
If leather pants are required, than I cant make it. I only have leather jacket, gloves, and track boots. Pants are on my to buy list.

Jeans are fine.
Helmet, jacket, gloves & boots.
You have everything required.

The fast bikes were doing 5.5 and 130mph tonight in the 1/8 mile.

jandmtv
10-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Sorry I missed it, most tracks require full leathers, thats why I didnt come. It was a pretty nice day to ride too. Maybe next time!

Jicko
10-03-2008, 11:26 AM
How is the Tubb Speedlock, is it WORTH IT????