PDA

View Full Version : SL8 Maglock problem (DANGER)

NoseGoblin
04-27-2008, 11:53 AM
I finally took my Califoniaized SL8 out to the range to give it its first break in and immediately experienced a dangerous miss feed. It would not chamber the round, the bolt would snap froward and almost tear a hole in the round... the lower pick up lug would dig into the brass all the way to the shoulder. This problem happened with every feed of a new round. With hard brass it would have torn a hole in the brass.

I spent the whole day single feeding after a few of these. When I got the rifle home to look over the feed problem I noticed that the maglock was not fully engaging the magazine into the mag well, the magazine was hanging down about 3/8 of an inch lower than with the HK stock mag release. I then applied pressure on the bottom of the magazine, pushing it up into the mag well. Problem solved... it would feed as it was designed to do.

I then replaced the maglock with the factory release and confirmed the magazines position and the rifles feed... sure enough, the maglock was not keeping the magazine in the correct position in the mag well.

I went back to the instructions and re-installed the RADDmaglock to make sure I had it installed properly... It was, and still the same issue.

I sent a PM to the RADD Maglock guy on this board but never received a response.

Any suggestions on what to do next?
Mark-

aplinker
04-27-2008, 3:50 PM
Make sure you properly seat your mag before firing and wait for RADD to respond? Most mags require a good amount of force to properly seat...
:confused:

6079Winston
04-27-2008, 4:48 PM
A friend of mine had a similar issue which was promptly fixed by the maglock manufacturer. He's probably just spending the weekend at church or the bar, depending on his faith and level of devotion.

radd
04-28-2008, 11:30 AM
PM sent.

Sorry to see this happen to you.

You are the 3rd case scenario I have heard in the last 5 month period.

I highly encourage anyone to report any problem they may have, so we can address this issue properly.

The SL8 Raddlock is a complicated balance between mechanical movement and CA compliance while still being easily reversible. The major hurdle was being able to remove it when someone needs to. We have actually shaved about 1mm off the top of the Raddlock Mag-Catch to allow more user friendly removal of the Raddlock. However, I think it is turning out to be a hit or miss deal on certain rifles. I am sorry I have not dove into this issue deeper because you are the only 3rd case scenario, including NoseGoblin, I have heard in about 5 month period and there are 50+ SL8 Raddlock on the market already .

Thanks

Radd

saki302
04-29-2008, 6:13 PM
A good test would be to see if the bolt locks back when you rack the bolt on an empty mag. If it does, your mag us probably seated high enough.

-Dave

NoseGoblin
05-01-2008, 9:33 PM
Got your PM.. thank you!

PM sent.

Sorry to see this happen to you.

You are the 3rd case scenario I have heard in the last 5 month period.

I highly encourage anyone to report any problem they may have, so we can address this issue properly.

The SL8 Raddlock is a complicated balance between mechanical movement and CA compliance while still being easily reversible. The major hurdle was being able to remove it when someone needs to. We have actually shaved about 1mm off the top of the Raddlock Mag-Catch to allow more user friendly removal of the Raddlock. However, I think it is turning out to be a hit or miss deal on certain rifles. I am sorry I have not dove into this issue deeper because you are the only 3rd case scenario, including NoseGoblin, I have heard in about 5 month period and there are 50+ SL8 Raddlock on the market already .

Thanks

Radd