PDA

View Full Version : BART rules, okay to bring ammo?

chickenfried
04-27-2008, 11:31 AM
Just wondering if there are any rules against carrying ammunition on BART. Searched the BART website couldn't find anything. I think it'd be okay. But can't get the image of an explosives sniffing dog chomping down on my crotch, out of my head.

highspeed11
04-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Not sure about guns or ammo but, NO food or drinks allowed!

http://www.bart.gov/news/press/news20080331.asp

Seriously, I've never seen anything that says you can't.

triger
04-27-2008, 12:03 PM
As far as i know no explosive devises of any kind are allowed on board. last time i checked ammunition was classified as a class A explosive so i would say no.

artherd
04-27-2008, 12:51 PM
Well it looks like it's legal if you don't EAT it :P

stevepsd
04-27-2008, 1:01 PM
Small-Arms ammunition is classified explosive class 1.4S material. If packaged correctly (i.e. in appropriate packaging), it will be reclassed as ORM-D (Other Regulated Materials - Domestic) for civilian transport in the US.

ORM-D in a nut-shell this means that there is limited hazardous material in a limited quantity that presents a limited hazard during transportation, due to its form, quantity, and packaging.

Explosive class 1.4 means: Moderate fire, no blast or fragment: a consumer firework is 1.4G or 1.4S

Explosive class 1.4S means: Substance or article so packed or designed that any hazardous effects arising from accidental functioning are limited to the extent that they do not significantly hinder or prohibit fire fighting or other emergency response efforts in the immediate vicinity of the package.

I think you are fine.

Liberty1
04-27-2008, 1:18 PM
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/8580-1.html

I'll ask this Pennsylvanian if he ever did go any where on BART.:)

So I had my first experience with California open carry today...suffice it to say I ended up in handcuffs. Unfortunately it was partially my fault.

I arrived into Oakland Airport and found out that the people I was meeting had their flight delayed so I had about 8 hours to kill so instead of sitting there at the airport like a lump I decided to check out San Fran. I didnt want to lug my luggage around so I checked it into a little check in shop at the airport, holstered my sidearm unloaded and made my way to the BART airport shuttle. Unfortunately I discovered that it only takes exact change so without thinking I headed back into the airport to break a $20.

The Alameda Sherriff's dept. was there to greet me and had me in cuffs pretty quickly. The funny thing was that when they came up they asked if I had a firearm on me, I looked down to my hip and said Yes. The main LEO asked what I was doing and I told him that it was my understanding that Open carry was legal in the state of CA. To which he replied that i was dead wrong and that this wasnt Nevada, Arizona or Texas. I refrained from correcting him that Texas doesn not permit open carry. Anyhow they take me back to their office and start asking some questions, main stuff, did i have ID, where i was from etc. I told them my id was in my pocket, they took it out ALONG with my pamphlet about Open Carry in CA that I printed from this site along with the 2 page flyer that someone else had posted from here.

Now this, along with my choice of sidearm, impressed them. They looked over the pamphlet and we started shootin the breeze a bit, army talk, weapon selection etc. Apparently carrying a concealed firearm is a misdemeanor but carrying a concealed butterfly knife is a felony. But I digress, they told me that I was correct that OC is legal in california though they said I would have problems trying to excercise that right in SF.

Apparently when I walked back into the airport I committed a misdemeanor myself by not having my sidearm in my gun case (this is not a crime in CA the deputies were referring to the secure area law) but they agreed that it was just a misunderstanding and didn't charge me with anything. They were so impressed by the pamphlet that they asked if they could borrow it to make copies(their copier was down at that moment) I said sure and they said it would be with my luggage when I returned.

All in all i think it was an enlightening experience all around. I learned to pay better attention to where i am going and the sherriffs learned something new about the legality of Open carry in california.

Prophet - Winning the hearts and minds of LEO's since 2008!

Great work on that pamphlet by the way.

added for legal correctness