PDA

View Full Version : My first AR build is underway!!

gcvt
04-27-2008, 12:20 AM
Having nothing better to do today, I thought I should take a drive down from the city to see the folks at Irvington Arms that you guys speak so highly of. I emailed Frank on Friday afternoon to ask what lowers they had in stock. He promptly emailed me back with his stock list and beginning prices.

I arrived in the late afternoon on Saturday and they were understandably very busy. But, with so much cool stuff to look at, who cares about waiting 20 minutes to talk to someone??!! Once greeted, I said I was interested in building my first AR and was pleased to be welcomed with such enthusiasm and kindness.

After looking at their lowers (Stag, CMMG, Spikes, Sabre and Fulton?), I decided on the CMMG...mostly because of the overall finish....and the research I've done here. $204 dollars later, I can't wait to go back next Monday and pick up my very first part! :)

I'm very happy with my Irvington Arms experience and look forward to dealing with them in the future. I have absolutely no problem driving an hour+ if I get to deal with great people like them. Furthermore, they seem to stock just about everything I need for my build at very competitive prices.

I'm so damn excited!!! And, I prefer to support my (not so) local shops.

Anyway, thank you all for your knowledge and help. It means a great deal to a first-time AR builder!!! :gunsmilie:

DrunkSkunk
04-27-2008, 12:31 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Congrats ... and don't worry, you'll be spending and building a lot more :43:

Stormfeather
04-27-2008, 1:33 AM
Good to hear you are underway with your first build! :D

gcvt
04-27-2008, 2:49 PM
Good to hear you are underway with your first build! :D

LOL, yeah...I guess it's not technically "underway". Probably more of a "got the ball rolling" type of deal. I'm very excited about this project and hope to have it finished in time for my Memorial Day camping trip.

Now I just have to decide on all the other parts for her. Decisions. Decisions.

apbrian112
04-27-2008, 3:30 PM
another one catches BRD!! hehe... you should have bought 2-3 lowers at the same time to save on dros. at least that's what i told my gf... "baby, i'm saving money by buying more" hehe... be sure to post some pics once you get it all built and take it out (range report)

RedDawn
04-27-2008, 9:16 PM
Congrats and well done!
Looking forward to the pictures.:D

5150Marcelo
04-27-2008, 9:31 PM
Beware, this is JUST THE BEGINNING. I started off with one OLL and 10 days later, ended up picking up 3!!!

RedDawn
04-27-2008, 10:47 PM
No kidding...
Once you finish the first, you get itchy to build the 2nd, and 3rd, and so on.

gcvt
04-27-2008, 11:04 PM
I know....I'm already considering buying another lower or two when I go pick my first one up next Tuesday. The more research I do, the more I find out how many different style rifles can be built on this platform.

It's clearly a sickness....but I knew that going in ;)

I'll probably start a 'build in progress' thread with pictures when I get to building. So far I'm looking at a 16" flat-top middy CMMG upper, RRA LPK, Collapsible stock of some sort, C Products mags?, Button Bullet, etc. Anything on that list toss up a red flag?

I can see this new obsession becoming a problem with my girlfriend already. :eek:

RedDawn
04-27-2008, 11:05 PM
Pace yourself and you'll be fine.;)

gcvt
04-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Pace yourself and you'll be fine.;)

I'm not sure I have that ability. I clearly need to win the lottery tomorrow - that would help.

sardaukar
04-28-2008, 12:26 AM
You should have bought a few lowers and saved some money.